You shouldn't get a new smartphone now

mercurial

MyBB Legend
That's a dumb reason. There will always be something better coming out in the future. Should we never buy smartphones then, according to this "logic"?

P0is3nIvy

...and with new tech comes teething problems...just pharkin get the upgrade... :)

Spinx999

That's a dumb reason. There will always be something better coming out in the future. Should we never buy smartphones then, according to this "logic"?
+1 What is new today, will surely be "old" next week. The cycle is never-ending. Need it today ? - go and buy it.

Hook

I agree with Mercurial. Every year sees new devices being introduced. Where is the logic in not upgrading when the time comes, when you can upgrade every 2 years ?

boom

I think the problem is that the devices out currently are just gap fillers for the real bad boys that will get released towards September and afterwards. You do not have to wait forever. Just wait until then. It will also drive down the current flagship prices to more affordable prices.

iPhone 5 will be out soon. And that will send all the other vendors into a frenzy. Just wait till end September. You will be able to make a sound decision then. If you want one of the current phones go for it. They are great phones. I am going to wait as the new devices shadow the current ones by far.

stevenv

Expert Member
It's imminent. And how long after Apple releases the iPhone 5 will it be available in South Africa? I mean in terms of actual stock.

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
Well written article, but it is the worst advice ive read in years

Samsung and HTC continue innovating with an avalanche of new models being released throughout every year. The Samsung Galaxy SII and HTC Sensation are their respective flagship smartphones at the moment, but expect this to change before Christmas.
True but come CES (after new years usually) there will be new flagships out.. and then come June 2012 there will be newer devices still

I have to agree with the iPhone and BB arguments, these companies tend to release new devices with lower frequency than HTC and Samsung.

Most of the article is hogwash though. If you got an upgrade, just get it now, or you will end up in a viscous cycle of waiting for the next big thing

CrazYmonkeY159

Expert Member
I think the problem is that the devices out currently are just gap fillers for the real bad boys that will get released towards September and afterwards. You do not have to wait forever. Just wait until then. It will also drive down the current flagship prices to more affordable prices.

iPhone 5 will be out soon. And that will send all the other vendors into a frenzy. Just wait till end September. You will be able to make a sound decision then. If you want one of the current phones go for it. They are great phones. I am going to wait as the new devices shadow the current ones by far.
Sound advice, Samsung and HTC tend to release 2 flagships within a 12 month period. So basically a new flagship every 6 month cycle. Align your contract upgrade with one of those cycles and you're golden

Fuma

Executive Member
This article was meant for people like me to feel a little fuzzy inside because I can't afford a good smartphone atm.
So I'll wait.:)

Mineer

Expert Member
who is this writer and does he know anything about technology by his logic ppl should sit with windows xp cos window 8 urm I mean 9.... sorry 10 is coming out soon

ajules

Expert Member

Agreed.Only sensible comment made so far in this thread

Mouse

Expert Member
If its just a 2 month delay for the next HTC Desire update for example, then I would wait, but not if its a year long wait.

Elimentals

Honorary Master
Well even if I have to Agree on some parts I am sure he could have said it better and more direct.

The market is waiting for Iphone 5 (if it comes out) in September, well that is if we get stock right away or not like 3 months after the rest of the world

Windows Phone Mango or 7.5 is about to come out with handsets from Nokia and Fujitsu starting to appear in the blogs.

On Android, Google is very close to announce Ice Cream Sandwich also around September and I am sure there is manufacturers with phones ready to go, just waiting for the OS.

But in the same line, when it comes to technology the question is always how long do you have to wait as there is new phones and updates coming out all the time. I would normally say if you can live with your current phone for another six months then yes dont jump strait in, but if the brick is about to exhale its last breath, dont wait.

upup

Executive Member
What is new in this article.
You get what fill your needs now.
there will always be new phones coming.

mercurial

MyBB Legend
Yeah, the logic in the article is pretty weak. That guy is in the wrong industry.

Sodan

Expert Member

overshadow

mercurial

MyBB Legend
It doesn't matter even if a certain manufacturer releases phones twice a year. The logic implies to never get one cos there will always be something better to come.

Last edited:

Unreal

I change phones every now and then (for technology's sake) but I've stuck with my E90 for the past 4 years and I'm happy.

boom

My strategy is to wait for 4 months so I can get rid of Autopage.

The next line of BB's are ready to roar as they have all been "officially" leaked we are just waiting for them to be shipped now. From what I can gather listening on the twittersphere some mighty phones are coming after September.

If I was in the boat where I could upgrade ( I actually am but with Autopage and never f****** again f********* ever) I would get a phone right now as my Bold 9000 has aged quite a bit. It still works and I will wait for the next Torch to come out which is soon. (I'd love a iPhone/Android but BIS saves lives and money)

Follow your head on your next phone. Its almost Xmas and things get muddy around that time in the consumer market. Following your heart might just get you locked in for another 2 years with a 'Why didnt I wait 2 months' feeling biting you in the ass.