Your iOS and macOS shortcuts.

Thor

Honorary Master
Share your setups here.

I'm new to IOS and by far and large this is the most powerful feature I've ever come across.

I'll share some of mine, just need to document them a bit better I use APIs on some.

Norrad

Expert Member
That's useful. My iPhone goes from 20% to empty faster than an employee leaving the office on a Friday. Usually, because I forget to disable the power-hungry crap.

mcycswa85vb21.jpg

Thor

Honorary Master
I have a Network Utility that makes common tasks for me easier.

I actually want to do the speedtest differently, I want it to run hourly and log to a spreadsheet in iCloud.

IMG_0167.jpg
IMG_0166.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
IMG_0152.jpg
IMG_0151.jpg
IMG_0150.jpg
IMG_0149.jpg
IMG_0153.jpg
IMG_0159.jpg

CranialBlaze

Expert Member

I actually want to do the speedtest differently, I want it to run hourly and log to a spreadsheet in iCloud.

They the same in the sense that the setup is much the same, shortcuts are manual triggers while automations are event/state driven

Not sure it will allow you to automate that one, they kinda fussy about what can be run unattended.

Also a phone, WiFi in general has a tendency to give less reliable results, my hourly test is run on the only device using a hardline. My phones always lower by around 10 to 15%

Thor

Honorary Master
They the same in the sense that the setup is much the same, shortcuts are manual triggers while automations are event/state driven

Not sure it will allow you to automate that one, they kinda fussy about what can be run unattended.

Also a phone, WiFi in general has a tendency to give less reliable results, my hourly test is run on the only device using a hardline. My phones always lower by around 10 to 15%

Good point

I actually should make it location based, I have blue tooth beacons in each room so if I can detect the strength I can do a proximity calculation.

End goals is if I can do a speedtest in each location automatically over the course of a few months I could map out with extreme accuracy where I need to improve the wifi in my house.

With WiFi 6 the effort should be worth it.

We are geeks after all.

CranialBlaze

Expert Member
Good point

I actually should make it location based, I have blue tooth beacons in each room so if I can detect the strength I can do a proximity calculation.

End goals is if I can do a speedtest in each location automatically over the course of a few months I could map out with extreme accuracy where I need to improve the wifi in my house.

With WiFi 6 the effort should be worth it.

We are geeks after all.

Bluetooth is the one thing I know you can’t automate. You need to confirm it each time. Tad annoying, you specify a device the assumption should be that both are within your control, anyway.

I finished my mesh, house if fully covered, but was pretty easy being not very big.

Read last night about a guy with Major WiFi issues on his phone, personally the first time I heard of it and he does have WiFi 6 so I speculated a possible link.

Something about the Adhoc WiFi that Apple uses for things like Airplay and handoff causing interference with the WiFi channel he used.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/ouks9d
Maybe worth reading in the event it’s not isolated and is related to WiFi 6, my mesh is not 6 and personally have no such issues.

Would suck to spend all that and go through all that effort only to create a problem.

PeterPan420

View attachment 1118154
View attachment 1118156
View attachment 1118158
View attachment 1118160
View attachment 1118162
View attachment 1118164
View attachment 1118166
View attachment 1118168
View attachment 1118170
Pro tip: you can share a link for that shortcut via the Share button at the bottom.

OnlyOneKenobi

I have a few shortcuts and automations - the most useful one is my "Daily Brief" automation which reads out the day's weather forecast, checks my calendar and reminders for the day as well as one or two specific countdowns depending on my routine for the week. I have a bunch of variables built into it which triggers different categories to be included or excluded in the daily brief...