Your Raspberry Pi Projects

newby_investor

Expert Member
If you guys had a spare 3B Pi laying around, what would you do with it?

I've moved most of my stuff to my MicroServer running OMV now - currently it runs the following:

- Heimdall Application Dashboard
- Pi-Hole
- Jackett
- Radarr
- Sonarr
- Lidarr
- Transmission
- Home-Assistant
- Unifi Controller
- Wireguard
- Smokeping
- Portainer
- Watchtower
- Plex Media Server
- Krusader

I originally had the Pi running a failover Pi-Hole, but I figured if my DNS goes down that would mean the rest of the services on the MicroServer would also be affected as I've Dockerized everything and it either works or doesn't.

I toyed with the idea of a smart mirror, or perhaps booking it up to an eInk display to display maybe some data from Grafana or something.

Any ideas would be appreciated
I run my primary pihole on a raspberry pi, and it's on a DC UPS with my router and fibre ONT.

My microserver doesn't stay online during load shedding, so it doesn't make sense for me to run the phone there.

PhireSide

Honorary Master
I run my primary pihole on a raspberry pi, and it's on a DC UPS with my router and fibre ONT.

My microserver doesn't stay online during load shedding, so it doesn't make sense for me to run the phone there.
I had that originally, but since getting an inverter the DC UPS was redundant - good idea though

Quey_Quick

Expert Member

I've moved most of my stuff to my MicroServer running OMV now - currently it runs the following:

- Pi-Hole
- Jackett
- Radarr
- Sonarr
- Lidarr
- Transmission
- Home-Assistant
- Unifi Controller
- Wireguard
- Smokeping
- Portainer
- Watchtower
- Plex Media Server
- Krusader

I originally had the Pi running a failover Pi-Hole, but I figured if my DNS goes down that would mean the rest of the services on the MicroServer would also be affected as I've Dockerized everything and it either works or doesn't.

I toyed with the idea of a smart mirror, or perhaps booking it up to an eInk display to display maybe some data from Grafana or something.

I would send it to @Quey_Quick :sneaky:

The smart mirror thing is cool.

Stuey74

- Pi-Hole
- Jackett
- Radarr
- Sonarr
- Lidarr
- Transmission
- Home-Assistant
- Unifi Controller
- Wireguard
- Smokeping
- Portainer
- Watchtower
- Plex Media Server
- Krusader

I had one lying around and bought the Picade, really cool, but then not everyone likes that sort of thing

MavChat

Expert Member
I just used this to create a wireless print server using a Pi Zero W:

My printer is not supported by CUPS so had a mission to get the ppg driver file so it will work, but it works a treat.

1612431187255.png
1612431148640.png

MavChat

Expert Member
In regard to Pi-Hole:

I have stopped using it as it tends to randomly block my whole internet connection. This with it running as DHCP server and not.

This is on a newer installation - an older one worked flawlessly for more than a year.

Both ran on Pi Zero W with an Ethernet adapter and only Pi-Hole running on it.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
In regard to Pi-Hole:

I have stopped using it as it tends to randomly block my whole internet connection. This with it running as DHCP server and not.

This is on a newer installation - an older one worked flawlessly for more than a year.

Both ran on Pi Zero W with an Ethernet adapter and only Pi-Hole running on it.
Did you get to the bottom of the issue? If anything I'd say a service had failed or something... Was it reporting that it was actively blocking connections?
My pi-hole is running right now.

MavChat

Expert Member
Did you get to the bottom of the issue? If anything I'd say a service had failed or something... Was it reporting that it was actively blocking connections?
Tbh I never checked. The annoyance was pushing my buttons. I am going to try adguard home and see if that works. Huawei routers do not allow custom DNS so will need it to run as a DHCP server.

kayvee

Expert Member
AdGuard Home works great, although I have moved it to a Docker container on my unraid server. Tired of corrupt sdcards thanks to our wonderful electricity supply.

The_Hobbit

Honorary Master
Tbh I never checked. The annoyance was pushing my buttons. I am going to try adguard home and see if that works. Huawei routers do not allow custom DNS so will need it to run as a DHCP server.
Which Huawei router do you have? There are some hacks to enable it for some routers.

Rocket-Boy

Executive Member

It's a Pi microcontroller - so a replacement for arduino... Noice!
Looks pretty cool and micro python is great for developing on.
Major downside is that if you want to pull and off the shelf solution like Tasmota, brewpiESP etc then it wont work.
Im sure it will gain some traction if the pricing is right internationally but it would be very difficult to unseat the ESP8266/32 as the king of microcontrollers.

*edit* So I just noticed the PIco doesnt have wifi or bluetooth. Meh.

MavChat

Expert Member
I thing the pi-hole dhcp was the issue. I managed to install Adguard now and enabled the DHCP server within it. So far so good.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I thing the pi-hole dhcp was the issue. I managed to install Adguard now and enabled the DHCP server within it. So far so good.
Pihole DHCP is just dnsmasq, which is used without issue all over the place so weird that you had issues.

I've been running mine for a couple of years now on a 2B, and it works a treat.

MavChat

Expert Member
Looking at the AdGuard log I am shocked how many requests are coming from Xiaomi TV box which is not even in use:
1612461363584.png

Not even our phones, which are actually in use, shows that many requests:

1612461449493.png
The biggest culprit being Netflix even though nobody is watching:
1612461796847.png

Last edited: