Your Raspberry Pi Projects

Speedster

Honorary Master
That is just weird man. Maybe all DNS queries from this router are spoofed to be from the external IP.

What happens if you disconnect from internet, what gets logged then?
I'm not sure, and unable to test currently as I've moved DNS to adguard (which solved the problem).

MavChat

Expert Member
I switched back to pi-hole from AdGuard. This is mainly due to you having to install it again when there is an update released.

I have set the DHCP to come from pihole and all is working great. Before I had issues with the DHCP server on the Pi-Hole and limited connectivity notifications, seems to have been fixed on the latest version.

Speedster

Honorary Master
I switched back to pi-hole from AdGuard. This is mainly due to you having to install it again when there is an update released.

I have set the DHCP to come from pihole and all is working great. Before I had issues with the DHCP server on the Pi-Hole and limited connectivity notifications, seems to have been fixed on the latest version.
I'm playing with both - pihole at the office and adguard at home. Both seem to be doing what's necessary. I do like though that on adguard I can specifiy settings per client which, for example, allows me to have youtube comments on on my devices and off for the kids.

Anthro

Expert Member

if AdGuard is installed via SNAP all you do is sudo snap refresh and it updates - no need to reinstall

I have been tinkering with Unbound recently to AdBlock as well - works well

Speedster

Honorary Master
if AdGuard is installed via SNAP all you do is sudo snap refresh and it updates - no need to reinstall

I have been tinkering with Unbound recently to AdBlock as well - works well
Mine updated over the weekend (i think). It was just a simple click in the web UI. Am I missing something?

rrh

Expert Member
Several months ago I rebuilt my HTPC using Docker on a Pi 3 and (thus far) am very happy with the results.

The only fly in the ointment is Watchtower, which is generating "Could not do a head request" errors e.g.

Could not do a head request for "linuxserver/radarr:latest", falling back to regular pull.
Reason: Get "https://index.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup index.docker.io on 127.0.0.11:53: no such host

Further investigation has shown that this appears to be a common problem, with no apparent solution.

Has anyone had any luck in resolving the issue ?

rrh

Expert Member
I am investigating garden irrigation control using a Pi.

The forum favourite appears to be OpenSprinkler's OSPi, which - it appears - is no longer imported by SmartKit.
And the OpenIrrigation board is no longer produced locally.

Question: Are there any other alternatives that I should investigate before considering importing an OSPi board ?

Thor

Honorary Master
I am investigating garden irrigation control using a Pi.

The forum favourite appears to be OpenSprinkler's OSPi, which - it appears - is no longer imported by SmartKit.
And the OpenIrrigation board is no longer produced locally.

Question: Are there any other alternatives that I should investigate before considering importing an OSPi board ?

Build yourself, its very easy to do.

Get an ESP32 and some sensors and a solonoid however that is spelt, to control the water flow

rrh

Expert Member
Build yourself, its very easy to do.

Get an ESP32 and some sensors and a solonoid however that is spelt, to control the water flow
Incidentally, where should I start :unsure: Can you recommend a developer kit / supplier / whatever ?

I see that there are a lot of the out there !

Thor

Honorary Master
I am actually busy with this, just struggling to build a greenhouse case, I want to use a linear actuator to open and close a sliding window, no idea how to build it physically.

As for places to buy, Banggood is the go-to, but locally (much more expensive):

rrh

Expert Member
I am actually busy with this, just struggling to build a greenhouse case, I want to use a linear actuator to open and close a sliding window, no idea how to build it physically.

You & I are very similar - we live by the keyboard and not by the sword !

Unless somebody has a better suggestion I will probably start with something like this as a means of acquiring the basic tools & prototyping the code Automatic Smart Plant Watering Kit

BTW, for your greenhouse: have you considered a simple eccentric mechanism ?

InvisibleJim

Expert Member

Have a look on OpenBuilds - they have a few designs for linear actuators - I don't know if there will be something that suits you or that will give you ideas to design your own.

I would suggest some arrangement with a screw thread and a stepper motor or some kind of servo mechanism could work maybe?

Thor

Honorary Master
You & I are very similar - we live by the keyboard and not by the sword !

Unless somebody has a better suggestion I will probably start with something like this as a means of acquiring the basic tools & prototyping the code Automatic Smart Plant Watering Kit

BTW, for your greenhouse: have you considered a simple eccentric mechanism ?

Thats a good kit to start off with, I've used those components the only thing to keep in mind for later is to get a sealed moister sensor, it's a black one you'll instantly recognize it, because that moisture sensor in the kit, the way it works attracts rust as the electrons flow so it so it won't last for years whereas the sealed one with a dialect liquid will last forever especially if you heat shrink and seal the top electronics.

Google, capacitive moisture sensor, it also works with ardiuno so I'd swap out that one in the kit for the capacitive one.

Düber

Just a heads up for anyone doing a full update.( RPI4 4gb)

If you get a blank screen or a kernel panic error on reboot, it might not be one of the usual suspects ( full sd card, user permissions etc.)it seems that if you have changed your GPU memory to higher than 256 it breaks something, change it back to 256 and reboot.( Either with SSH or in config.txt) to solve the problem.

After 2 hours of struggling I stumbled upon this.

Hope it helps someone.