Afrihost CEO Gian Visser said in an e-mail to subscribers on Tuesday, 18 November 2014 that they plan to launch a suite of value-added services called Afrihost Plus+ to their subscribers within the next two days.
No price has been set yet, as Visser said he is not completely sure what a fair monthly price would be for the service “given the massive value Afrihost Plus+ adds”.
Subscribers were linked to a short online survey in which they could indicate which Afrihost Plus+ features they would enjoy, and what they would be willing to pay for it.
The benefits of Afrihost Plus+ listed on the survey page were:
- Simfy Africa music streaming: full access to stream on desktop or mobile, which usually costs R60 per month, or R49 if you’re an MTN customer. MTN’s bid to buy Afrihost recently got competition approval.
- Free 500MB mobile data.
- Double data all the time: continue receiving double data on Afrihost mobile or DSL packages, even after the promotion ends on 31 December 2014.
- Permanent 2-for-1 topups: Usually a promotion which Afrihost said runs a few days a month, Plus+ subscribers will always have access to double value data top-ups.
- No capping on capped DSL: When your data cap runs out, your connection is instead throttled to 128 kilobits per second.
- Double turbo charges: Turbocharge lets you maximise your speed and avoid all shaping on an uncapped DSL account for a set amount of time. You’ll get twice as many Uncapped Turbocharge minutes every month with Afrihost Plus+.
In the survey, subscribers are asked whether they would pay R99, R149, R199, R299, R399, or R499 per month for the above features.