Samsung to merge smartphone OS platforms

And without a proper app store it will fail...
This peeves developers like me off though, how many bloody platforms do I have to cater for in my code?
 
Very interesting. There must be real metal behind their decision to do this. I just hope that I'll be able to load Android on future Samsung smartphones.
 
What we don't need is yet ANOTHER mobile operating system, to increase the fragmentation (or do we?).

What we need is for RIM and Microsoft to get their sh|t together, and to start gaining market share. We don't want another 2 horse race (Android vs iOS) like we did with Nokia and Microsoft (WM6 vs S60). Samsung should rather back Meego which is already established (or is this their way of doing so?).

Although I'm an Android fanboy, letting Android have 50% market share is not good. It will kill innovation and cause Google to become complacent and stagnate in the mobile front, just like Microsoft and Nokia did.

The more competition the better, but competition needs to big and worthwhile, and with smartphones it's not only about the OS, but the ecosystem. You've got to have an OS that is killer, that manufacturers will want to use and that will attract developers, and will please consumers. All these new OSs are like the different distros of Linux, nice to have, but means squat to competition and innovation in the broader sense.
 
Last edited:
These rumours started a while back when samsung hired steve kondik (cyanogen). Perhaps sammy is scared of google and motorola?
 
Why is one of the biggest Android IHVs trying to get away from Android? What do they know that we don't?

I think that they just want to own/control their entire platform, just like Apple does.
 
Lol I would jump the samsung ship quicker than you can say italiancruseliner if they moved from andriod, do they realise that the whole reason they have become the biggest phone maker is because of the google mobile os ?
Dumbasses
 
I dont think they will drop Android just for the sake of dropping an OS, as they sell Windows Phone and Bada next to Android phones.

This is more a case of not placing all your eggs in one basket and with merging Bada with Tizen(Old Meego) they get more for less. More developers and more traction using less of their own resources. Its a win win.

As for the Patent case, Samsung would have had the exact same problems if the SGS was running Bada. Remember its about design issues and not Software. Also the Software patent licence fees HTC and friends pay is only for devices sold in the US as the rest of the world dont follow the same Patent law, and some countries like ours dont even acknowledge software patents at all.
 
This doesnt sound convincing I'm sorry but I mean Android is already leading the market by a considerable gap.
It's like an athlete who is in 1st place who suddenly stops to bend down and tie their shoelaces in a middle of a race, why take that risk unless you VERY VERY confident you will still keep your lead !?!?!?
 
It's like an athlete who is in 1st place who suddenly stops to bend down and tie their shoelaces in a middle of a race

This same athlete was Nokia with S60 and/or Microsoft with WM5/6 about 5-10 years ago. Android won't be forever, especially if they reach critical mass, and they start getting lazy or complacent with regards to market share and innovating. It's happened over and over again in the tech industry, with PCs (IBM, Apple, Microsoft) as well as mobiles (Palm, Microsoft, Nokia, RIM).

At least Samsung are keeping their eyes and options wide open.
 
Let's pause for second and think about this: Name any piece of software developed by Samsung that's innovative, powerful, and less problematic?

Touchwiz 4.0 is practicly useless and isn't all that useful. If flashed to MIUI (US version) and I've been happy without Touchwiz.

Kies is the worst piece of software I've ever used. It never works when I want it to work. Nokia PC Suite is a dream to use.

Bada OS can't seem to even penetrate the market because developers refuse to give it the time of day.

So in conclusion, with the few points I've mentioned, do you honestly think this merger will even turn heads? To seduce developers they'd have to build an SDK better than Android's and Nokia's old QT. I don't see them doing that. Every piece of software ever built by Samsung has been a flop. So what now? All of a sudden Samsung will create a great OS after all the years of producing ****?
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X