Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Improving your knowledge about Fibre Optics (videos)

Default Improving your knowledge about Fibre Optics (videos)

The Fiber Optic Association has some very interesting "lectures" available on their YouTube channel.

With FTTx about to really take off in our country, at last, I thought it would be a good idea to post this link...

Be sure to watch the relevant videos in the correct sequence.

Link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXt...O4c8WR7MBK8RLQ

I have found this very interesting white paper on AON vs PON which might also aid in FTTx education.
    Lynnwood Fibre Initiative - A community project to bring fast and affordable internet to Pretoria East.

Register for Frogfoot fibre today!

Quote Originally Posted by Alkine View Post
    I have found this very interesting white paper on AON vs PON which might also aid in FTTx education.
    Thanks, interesting!

You'll see in para 2.3 why most local operators are going for GPON - $$$$$$$

Here's the summary ($$$) - first smiley column is AON, second is PON

Name:  Scan_696.jpg
Views: 2394
Size:  63.4 KB

And then some are sneaky and push the CPE back to the customer as well

Yes it is very interesting, however it seems on all technical details except for 1 AON reigns superior. One that I think is especially important is the future upgradeability of AON.
    Lynnwood Fibre Initiative - A community project to bring fast and affordable internet to Pretoria East.

Yes it is very interesting, however it seems on all technical details except for 1 AON reigns superior. One that I think is especially important is the future upgradeability of AON.
    In the short term I can see some big corporates using AON but I cannot see any operator rolling out AON into a residential suburb in South Africa. The majority of us are more concerned about the price we have to pay and not the cost that the operator must carry.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    In the short term I can see some big corporates using AON but I cannot see any operator rolling out AON into a residential suburb in South Africa. The majority of us are more concerned about the price we have to pay and not the cost that the operator must carry.
    VUMA is installing AON into the suburbs

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    I agree with you 100%, the majority of residents are concerned with price above all at this point in time and for that GPON is the best fit. However there are two things to keep in mind, internet speed requirements increased 60+ times in 10 years as the report stated, and there is no end in sight to this trend, and secondly return on investment for the fibre providers are in the 10 years range. I'm worried that the increase in demand in a suburb may outstrip what GPON can provide in the next 10 years which leaves you with an outdated network that is costly or impossible to upgrade on which the fibre provider has not yet made a return.

I agree with you 100%, the majority of residents are concerned with price above all at this point in time and for that GPON is the best fit. However there are two things to keep in mind, internet speed requirements increased 60+ times in 10 years as the report stated, and there is no end in sight to this trend, and secondly return on investment for the fibre providers are in the 10 years range. I'm worried that the increase in demand in a suburb may outstrip what GPON can provide in the next 10 years which leaves you with an outdated network that is costly or impossible to upgrade on which the fibre provider has not yet made a return.
    Yes but this is what NGPON2 is for, basically a 10Gbps version on GPON, there is a lot of research going into PON as many huge telco's run it...so not to worry. You can run GPON & NGPON2 at the same time on the same fibre strand (they use different wavelengths) while you upgrade, there is no way guys are blindly deploying PON without knowing their upgrade path.

Then you also have DWDM based solutions (WDM-PON), which also runs on the basic architecture as PON, where you can multiplex multiple 10, 40, 100Gbps wavelengths onto a single fibre topping out at multiple Tbps on a single strand.

There are benefits to AON, mostly on the optical level & fault finding.
    Last edited by eddief1; 22-10-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Looks like it's time for a career change!

Quote Originally Posted by eddief1 View Post
    Yes but this is what NGPON2 is for, basically a 10Gbps version on GPON, there is a lot of research going into PON as many huge telco's run it...so not to worry. You can run GPON & NGPON2 at the same time on the same fibre strand (they use different wavelengths) while you upgrade, there is no way guys are blindly deploying PON without knowing their upgrade path.

Then you also have DWDM based solutions (WDM-PON), which also runs on the basic architecture as PON, where you can multiplex multiple 10, 40, 100Gbps wavelengths onto a single fibre topping out at multiple Tbps on a single strand.

There are benefits to AON, mostly on the optical level & fault finding.
    Yeah I agree. I think weighing all factors GPON is the best technology. Will only continue to evolve.

Here's a video of how fibre should be laid in our age. Can't figure out exactly how it works. They say the ducts get pulled through from the other side but it looks like it's being pushed in with the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    Here's a video of how fibre should be laid in our age. Can't figure out exactly how it works. They say the ducts get pulled through from the other side but it looks like it's being pushed in with the pipe.
    get a video like that, of it being done within a suburb please. This method works well on a long open stretch, where there are no other cables underground, no pipes etc. But suburbs are a little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Freaksta View Post
    Currently digging up everyones driveways in my area does MTN plan on doing FTTH?

The odd thing is that its not just for example the main road, it includes side streets.
    Manual digging causes more damage yes. This is mainly aimed at small stretches where you can't dig like driveways and roads that would otherwise cost thousands to repair to their former state and not to mention the disruption it causes. The video doesn't show this properly but there's a huge amount of telemetry involved like ultrasonic detection and stuff. If can be done quite safely.

Here is a video about the different methods of FTTH deployment which is quite cool to watch:

And thats the bottom line, cause StoneCold said so...

Quote Originally Posted by vinodh View Post
    They must have throttled your cancellation request

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast