Join us now. It is free, and it takes less than 1 minute to register.
Register now
Subscribe to our daily newsletter. It is free, and it comes with many benefits.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive data usage with Telkom Mobile LTE

Angry Excessive data usage with Telkom Mobile LTE

I find it highly unacceptable that high data usage occurs with Telkom LTE, without reasonable explanation/proof!

This is not the first time I hear this! Similar feedback from other new LTE customers reported to me as well after making my issue known...

My Story:
    I wanted to upgrade from a "Slow 2Mb ADSL" connection and was advised by a Telkom Mobile agent (Telkom Direct store) to go the new faster LTE route. As I previously had a 10+10Gb ADSL line and hardly ever exceeded my monthly cap, I opted for the 20Gb/month LTE contract (comparable cost). Within the 1st 10-days of my activation the 20Gb cap was reached!!! #$%^@*! Obviously I had to "Top-up" at the "More-expensive" Mobile data rates to ensure continued connectivity. Thinking this was probably a once-off due to setup, this was not the case. In month two the same happened to which I realized that there is a problem, This was NEVER the case with my ADSL line and I have never used 20Gb/month before!! How could this happen?

I requested a breakdown of my usage to try and determine what caused this massive increase in usage, but was told detailed usage indication is impossible. I asked if I could revert back to fixed ADSL instead of LTE and told: "No, the Telkom Mobile and Telkom-ADSL services are separate and that I'll need to cancel my LTE contract with full penalties due on the two year contract! %$#@*&!? It was then suggested that I upgrade my 20Gb/month capping to a 50Gb/month LTE contract at R699/month. Firstly I could not do this in month two and had to wait out a 3-month contract probation period before I could upgrade!!!! %$#@*&!? After having to Top-up in month three AGAIN, I finally upgraded to the 50Gb/month LTE from day-1 of month four. NEEDLESS TO SAY - I AGAIN REACHED THE 50Gb/Month cap on day 25 of the month and again almost every month after that between days 20 to 28!!! THIS IS IMPOSSIBLE - I CANNOT BE USING 50GB in 20-days EVERY [email protected]#$#%^&*#@$!?

I do NOT EVEN do any TV Streaming. Yes, we play some Sony-PS3 games and use internet, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have Apple I-tunes with six devices connected, but surely not 50Gb every month!? Yes we have two PC's connected, one laptop and one Desktop with Windows and Anti-Virus updates (now scheduled for a/h 00h00-07h00 updates) but surely still not 50Gb EVERY MONTH!? This is ridiculous!!!

I even went as far as increasing Wi-fi connectivity security with specific device IP/Mac address access only allowed, to ensure no hacking. But still the excessive usage continues month-after-month - COSTING ME DEARLY!! NOU IS EK GATVOL!

To make matters even worse now, from time to time a low/slow connection occurs and the intended High-speed for LTE is not achieved. Thus a "Reliable connection" is also not achieved anymore. Connectivity is even lost and resetting the LTE router is becoming "old-news" now. Simply not a viable/acceptable solution as suggested by Telkom support agents anymore!!!? $%^&&*[email protected]#$*!?

When phoning Telkom Mobile support 10210 from home, I get the following responses:
    1. Oh you will naturally be using "more data with LTE" because of the faster upload-/download speeds being achieved with LTE (Updates, etc.). This is "Normal". WTF!?
    2. Sorry - our systems are down, please try phoning back later for support...
    3. Service agents not available after hours, please phone during business hours.
    4. As my area is on the "Edge" of the LTE-coverage area, I may lose connectivity from time to time. [This is ridiculous and unacceptable - My area is indicated as covered on the LTE map]

The irony is that I am inadvertently binded to a two-year agreement, with cancellation penalties. Telkom does not want to "Budge" in allowing me back to "fixed-line-ADSL" with Telkom, without penalties, and still cannot prove to me what is using up my 50Gb/month LTE data every month, nor what is causing a reduction in quality of service or connection.

I would love to know if anyone else is experiencing the same "High data usage" with Telkom Mobile LTE?? I am starting to think this is a "billing issue" and not a "usage issue". How does one stop/control this?

Please suggest ways for me to monitor data traffic usage and log connectivity? Surely Telkom should supply this service as proof of what specifically is being used by each LTE client and what quality of service is available on site!?

Disable windows update those bad boys can use 10 GB or more depending hownimportant the patch is. Download bandwidth manager pro and always check your usage. Now that people experience fast internet they watch youtube videos which can consume over 1 gig or more depending on the quality
    Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

Loving technology&gadgets own a Samsung Galaxy S4, Ativ S , Apple iPad4 Cellular 64 GB, i7 ivy bridge - Porting Successful

I have a 20GB LTE package with 2 PC's and my xbox connected daily.
    Hardly ever reach my cap and when I do, I know exactly what the cause is.

There are so many things that could be causing high usage that have absolutely nothing to do with Telkom.

Do you do malware scans regularly?
    Have you installed bandwidth monitors to check if any of your PC's are downloading excessively?
    No torrents?
    Have you logged in to your router to check the data usage there?

The LTE router you got with the deal has a data usage counter which can be set to reset each month on the 1st. And when you connect to the router it shows you how much data has been used / is available.

I suspect that the router will show that you are using the data...
    Last edited by Alacrity; 14-04-2016 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
    Thanks - I'm not within current coverage area indicated... Registered my interest address there. Thanks
    Last edited by MJSmithSA; 14-04-2016 at 05:58 PM.

Do you use any streaming services like Youtube? Going from a 2 meg connection to an LTE connection might increase the video quality and will definitely take more bandwidth. I know you said that you do not use any TV streaming services, but any kind of streaming that suddenly upscales to 720p or 1080p vs what you used to get could double or triple the usage that service normally takes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
    Disable windows update...
    ...Download bandwidth manager pro...
    ...watch you-tube videos...
    Thanks Richard. I have scheduled Windows updates to only happen a/h during Night-surfer. But will also try disabling now.
    We do not watch much You-tube videos... (Ad-hoc maybe, but surely not 50Gb/month worth...)
    Could you send link to site with "Download bandwidth manager pro" downloads? I get many results on Google. Is there a good free version perhaps. I found this paid version: http://bandwidth.software.informer.c...h-manager-pro/

Quote Originally Posted by PsYTraNc3 View Post
    Do you do malware scans regularly?
    Have you installed bandwidth monitors to check if any of your PC's are downloading excessively?
    No torrents?
    Have you logged in to your router to check the data usage there?
    PsYTranNc3: Not sure, but according to me, none of the above...
    1. Yes, I do daily automated AVG full PC scans, but once again a/h during the additional +50Gb Night-surfer period. (I will disable also)
    2. I have not installed any bandwidth monitors, but will do so now. Most definitely. Which could you recommend?
    3. What is a "Torrent"??? :-)
    4. How do I log into the router to check usage there?
    I log into the Telkom Portal (almost daily) and simply check and record the status of "already used bandwidth" balance - but that is a "passive - after the fact" status. No indication of what activity is taking place... E.g. You-tube download, Windows update, I-Tunes update, or any device specific activity. What is possible for most insight into which activity is using up most bandwidth???

Effectively I have 100Gb per month, being 50Gb normal + 50Gb Night-surfer between 00hh00 and 07h00

I really cannot understand how such High download volumes are possible? To where is what downloaded all the time at an average of 2Gb per day? I don't even have that much storage on my PC Harddrive? According to me must be something wrong...

Any suggestions will be welcomed and tried. With feedback given...

Quote Originally Posted by gloryboy View Post
    Do you use any streaming services like Youtube? Going from a 2 meg connection to an LTE connection might increase the video quality and will definitely take more bandwidth. I know you said that you do not use any TV streaming services, but any kind of streaming that suddenly upscales to 720p or 1080p vs what you used to get could double or triple the usage that service normally takes.
    As indicated, we do not watch much You-tube videos... (Ad-hoc maybe, but surely not 50Gb/month worth...)
    If any high data usage, then possibly my two sons playing Online Sony-PS3 games or
    Perhaps the Apple-devices in use by the house-hold. I-phone WhatsApps constantly processing with photos and Video-clips perhaps and App-updates via I-tunes - but will that add up to 50Gb? I also run I-tunes app updates before 7h00, but overnight never seem to reach more than 7-9Gb/month on Night-surfer usage...

I need to somehow monitor and check which device/process is performing high-volume up-/down-loads...
    I still would expect Telkom to provide such a monitoring overview type service to the client - while in a position to charge for it...

Quote Originally Posted by MJSmithSA View Post
    As indicated, we do not watch much You-tube videos... (Ad-hoc maybe, but surely not 50Gb/month worth...)
    If any high data usage, then possibly my two sons playing Online Sony-PS3 games or
    Perhaps the Apple-devices in use by the house-hold. I-phone WhatsApps constantly processing with photos and Video-clips perhaps and App-updates via I-tunes - but will that add up to 50Gb? I also run I-tunes app updates before 7h00, but overnight never seem to reach more than 7-9Gb/month on Night-surfer usage...

I need to somehow monitor and check which device/process is performing high-volume up-/down-loads...
    I still would expect Telkom to provide such a monitoring overview type service to the client - while in a position to charge for it...
    Expecting an Service Provider to give usage patterns means monitoring your traffic.
    The routers just provide data through put.

It is like expecting Eskom to prove to you which device in your house used Electricity. There is a meter and it provides a measurement of usage.

Slow through put is likely when the link is been utilised.

If you want to get usage and understand what is going then look at Mikrotik Routerboard for about R800 and you can get an idea of what is going on in your network.

Grandmaster

I have the same issue except I'm on their "uncapped" LTE package. They are lying thieves
    #sanralcansuckit

Hey, I posted this on another thread similar to this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnatan56 View Post
    Try Glasswire for the PCs (was a quick Google and came recommended by howtogeek).
    For the phones, android has My Data Manager (recommended by lifehacks) and iOS has My Data Manager as well.
    Install some data monitor/counters and see how much the difference is. Also change the WiFi password and encryption to WPA2-PSK or WPA2-AES. Compare the data usage at the end of the month and find the culprit (Rogue app or Telkom).
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocolateBadger View Post
    Welcome to life. It's your life. Do what you want.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6136410418

Quote Originally Posted by MJSmithSA View Post
    /snip
    4. How do I log into the router to check usage there?
    If you have the Huawei router type http://192.168.8.1 into your browser and log in.

I haven't used my laptop during the last month and Windows and Office updates consumed almost 1GB of data.

Name:  Telkom_LTE.jpg
Views: 2971
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Updates.JPG
Views: 2910
Size:  60.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by LaraC View Post
    If you have the Huawei router type http://192.168.8.1 into your browser and log in.

I haven't used my laptop during the last month and Windows and Office updates consumed almost 1GB of data.

Name:  Telkom_LTE.jpg
Views: 2971
Size:  45.9 KB

Name:  Updates.JPG
Views: 2910
Size:  60.9 KB
    Example if you gonna run a speed test your data does contribute towards that speed test. I run 3 speed test and 300 mega was gonna,if not more. Just monitor your usage , or create different SSID NAMES for all your devices to monitor the usage,every month reset your data usage on the router...

Another thing make sure that Google Plus isn't running or any of your devices(smartphone); disable auto updates of mobile apps. Sometimes you won't notice it but they do consume a lot of data.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast