Postboxes now come with a free “digital postbox”

Not sure many people want a digital post box - the traffic department will for sure be able to confirm you received those fines - and that it was sent via registered mail
 
I've tried for over a year to get a simple post box - every time I'm told they're waiting for new locks.

Out of interest, what was last years post box rate? I recall it being R360 - so the "free" digital postbox comes with a 30% increase on the standard postbox rental.
 
I get all my bills on email, and all my deliveries go to my work address. I don't see the use of a postbox anymore.
 
Would loved to have been a fly on the wall of that boardroom :crylaugh:
 
Not sure many people want a digital post box - the traffic department will for sure be able to confirm you received those fines - and that it was sent via registered mail

e5a.png
 
I don’t understand the point of a postbox...so have no clue what I would use a digital one for.
 
Would be great of they could actually start delivering normal mail, before worrying about offering other services.
 
R450 a year for a post box? Compared to the R260 TV license it is a total rip-off!
 
I don’t understand the point of a postbox...so have no clue what I would use a digital one for.

Many persons who do not have a fixed address use postboxes. In many areas we went through a period when street deliveries were completely stopped and we all had to apply for post boxes. During that period, postboxes were made available for free. Later this decision was reversed and street deliveries resumed, at which time the decision was left in your hands as the whether you wanted to retain the post box but at a fee.

A digital box sound great at first glance, sorting out the issues we all have with registered mail slips going missing etc. Not sure yet if I like the idea or not.

If you do have street deliveries then a postbox is pretty much not required.
 
Many persons who do not have a fixed address use postboxes. In many areas we went through a period when street deliveries were completely stopped and we all had to apply for post boxes. During that period, postboxes were made available for free. Later this decision was reversed and street deliveries resumed, at which time the decision was left in your hands as the whether you wanted to retain the post box but at a fee.

A digital box sound great at first glance, sorting out the issues we all have with registered mail slips going missing etc. Not sure yet if I like the idea or not.

If you do have street deliveries then a postbox is pretty much not required.

Well regardless of all that the reality is that in the modern world you rather have a courier deliver something directly to your person wherever you are.

As you point out it’s very much technology of the past. If I were to use the post office for anything how I would simply go collect by package/letter using the slip. No need for the postbox at all.

Just seems like completely the wrong thing for a third world post office to get involved in...especially when everyone carries the internet on their smartphone.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X