755kbps download and 58kbps upload [intermittent <=64kbits/s Upload Speed Phenomenon]

Dolby

Honorary Master
Joined
Jan 31, 2005
Messages
39,251
Reaction score
6,218
This is according to the Vodacom 3G speed test now (20:50). Why is upload so slow?
 
I have had lower speeds. But all I did was to disconnect and reconnect and it was ok again. As ic/v3g would say in could be the load or breathing on the tower that is causing the slow down. Am I right in quoting this? :confused:
Please don't ask me to explain. It is explained in another thread, not sure which one.
 
Last edited:
My download is 857kbps and upload is 311kbps - according to iBurst speed test. :sick:
 
Sorry - only home now and tried once again (19:50) ...

851kbps down and 59kbps up :/

What uploads should be normal?
 
Well if you are using HSDPA your uploads should be (theoretically) close to 384kbps or 48Kb/s, and your downloads close to 1400kbps. But like they say it depends on signal strength.

You're getting an OK download rate, so the signal is good enough to give you more than 59kbps upload, strange.
 
Yea that's what I thought.

I've had the connection for 2 months and it's been fantastic, barring the last week. And although the speed test does indicate a high download road, I've rarely seen it go beyond 15kb/sec during the pat few days. Plus there is waiting for pages and thing I didn't even notice :/
 
08.50pm:

All I get is: Preparing Download test ....

Ahhh at last ... Download 35kbps, Upload 153kbps (And no I did make a mistake with the upload and download numbers)
 
Last edited:
This reminds me of the old Megawan days ;)

(incase none of you remember Megawan from 7 years back, it was 802.11b wireless internet ... which has it's fair share of similar issues)
 
08.50pm:

All I get is: Preparing Download test ....

Ahhh at last ... Download 35kbps, Upload 153kbps (And no I did make a mistake with the upload and download numbers)

If your connection is slow it is going to take a while to display something. I have seen the same thing happening.
 
My download is 857kbps and upload is 311kbps - according to iBurst speed test. :sick:

I get about the same up & down. Sometimes down to about 1090kbps. A guy 3 houses up the road from me got 1400kbps. I use a E220 USB Modem.

Where are you in Centurion? I am in Doringkloof. There is a Tower opposite the road from us, about 40-50 Meters.
 
08.50pm:

All I get is: Preparing Download test ....

Ahhh at last ... Download 35kbps, Upload 153kbps (And no I did make a mistake with the upload and download numbers)
I assume you're in the [post=1131795]Garsfontein area[/post]?

@PsychoR8der, where in Pretoria are you - anywhere near Garsfontein?
 
I get about the same up & down. Sometimes down to about 1090kbps. A guy 3 houses up the road from me got 1400kbps. I use a E220 USB Modem.

Where are you in Centurion? I am in Doringkloof. There is a Tower opposite the road from us, about 40-50 Meters.

I've already hit 1.4Mbps a few times. I'm in Irene and the Vodacom tower is right across the road from me. :)
 
I've already hit 1.4Mbps a few times. I'm in Irene and the Vodacom tower is right across the road from me. :)

I remember now.

As they would say in the classic, your Tower might just be loaded with more user so your speeds will be reduced or the Telkom backhaul is overloaded. So just BP I am sure it will recover.

:cool:
 
Hmmm ... perhaps you're right.

7.17 in the morning ans I'm getting 855 down and 359 down. V3G - surely if the tower is congested so much that 3G is difficult to use during the day/evening, they'll plan an upgrade?
 
Mine is currently 1186kbps DOWN & 174kbps UP. We are 6.6km from the tower, using an external LPDA antennae.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X