Your current "want to buy" car

Current "want" to buy is a Megane IV 280RS.
The heart wants but the mind says "No, are you ****ing nuts!"
To transition from 17km/l to <10km/l on my daily commute just not make financial sense
Sooooo, it seems that the heart won after all.

The diesel banger got passed on to my nephew who got his license late last year.
I drove the family SUV as a daily for the last few months and that was enough for me to pull the trigger on this one.

On the bright side, I get 11.36km/l on my commute.
 
Sooooo, it seems that the heart won after all.

The diesel banger got passed on to my nephew who got his license late last year.
I drove the family SUV as a daily for the last few months and that was enough for me to pull the trigger on this one.

On the bright side, I get 11.36km/l on my commute.
Pics please!
 
I had the one in between those two Yamaha's, the XT550. Loved that bike to bits.

Which one was your favourite?
The 1984 Yamaha XT600Z Ténéré - it was the one I owned for the longest time - 1987 to 1991 - I bought it second-hand from a friend for R5,000 with about 30,000 kms on it - and sold it for R5,000 with over 90,000 kms on it... enjoyed it immensely - did a number of return trips from Durban to Johannesburg & also to Pretoria on it as well... averaged around 24-26 km per litre on these runs... ;)
 
I saw a new 2026 model 420d today - my sister bought one in that beaitiful mix of metallic and pearl blue with the nice mag wheels and bigger tyres.

I only saw it when I escorted her out of my large property - she had parked outside. Man was that a beauty! The front grill is much bigger now.
 
Any pre-2010 car with NO restrictive (Euro 5 or Euro 6) EGR / DPF / AdBlue emissions controls, NO ADAS 'nanny driving aids', NO SMART connectivity, and NO 'pay-as-you-go' subscriptions to unlock features / items already built-in to the vehicle... ;)

Euro 5 is an European emission standard introduced in 2009/2011 for cars and 2020 for motorcycles that sets strict limits on exhaust pollutants like nitrogen oxides (NOx), carbon monoxide, and particulate matter. [1, 2, 3]

Key Features of Euro 5
  • Particulate Filters: Made Diesel Particulate Filters (DPFs) mandatory for new diesel cars to trap microscopic soot. [1]
  • Lower Emissions: Cuts nitrogen oxides by up to 60% and particulate matter by 80% compared to older Euro 3 standards. [1]
  • Fuel Quality: Often refers to ultra-low sulfur diesel (around 10 ppm sulfur content) which prevents damage to modern exhaust aftertreatment systems. [1]
Advanced Tech: Relies on technologies like Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) with AdBlue or Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) in commercial and passenger vehicles.

Euro 6 is the European Union's sixth-generation emissions standard designed to limit harmful exhaust pollutants from new passenger cars, vans, and heavy-duty vehicles. [1, 2, 3]

Key Emission Limits
  • Nitrogen Oxides (NOx): Capped at 0.06 g/km for petrol cars and 0.08 g/km for diesel cars. [1, 2]
  • Particulate Matter (PM): Stricter limits on soot and fine particles for both diesel and direct-injection petrol engines. [1, 2]
Main Technologies Used
  • Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF): Traps and burns off harmful soot particles from exhaust gases. [1, 2]
  • Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR): Uses a liquid reductant like AdBlue to convert nitrogen oxide into harmless nitrogen and water. [1,2]
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR): Recirculates a portion of exhaust gas back into the engine to lower combustion temperatures and reduce NOx formation. [1, 2]
Testing and Updates
Phased in starting around 2014–2015, the standard evolved into newer updates like Euro 6d-TEMP and Euro 6d. [1, 2]

EDIT:

When your vehicle outlives its cloud: What happens next? - Ars Technica​

Automakers love connected vehicles, but support isn’t open-ended.

Do you use your vehicle’s app to pre‑cool the cabin on a scorching day, confirm the doors are locked from bed, or have the car automatically call for help when the airbags go off?

Savor those connected, cloud‑based conveniences while you can—the clock is already ticking on their obsolescence. In a few short years, you may be driving today’s vehicle without many of the features you currently enjoy.

Read the full article here:

 
Last edited:
I find my mind wandering off with the idea of changing my current 2016 Cayenne S Diesel to a Cayenne GTS or maybe a Lexus GX.

Like so

1791166548496.png


or so

1791166713683.png


Two very different purpose-built cars I know.

The thing is, my current Cayenne S is 10 years old with only around 70k km on. It was my late mother's car, so when she passed away, I bought it from my father. I've put about 20k km on it since I had it.
The Cayenne S Diesel is quite scarce; with its twin-turbo V8 Diesel, 292kw and 850nm it is a lovely car to drive. And mine is still in excellent condition. Also, there is the sentimental aspect that comes with it. I don't really want to sell it, and it has great fuel consumption.

I barely drive it, mainly because the infotainment system is the old POS stock standard Porsche kak radio with no CarPlay or Bluetooth for music. So it's either CDs or radio stations. I don't do either. If I drive it, I listen to the engine.

Been pondering if I should change the radio and upgrade the sound. Then the Raptor can rest a bit; I know that for sure.
It would be much cheaper than changing to a new car.
 
I find my mind wandering off with the idea of changing my current 2016 Cayenne S Diesel to a Cayenne GTS or maybe a Lexus GX.

Like so

View attachment 1942620


or so

View attachment 1942621


Two very different purpose-built cars I know.

The thing is, my current Cayenne S is 10 years old with only around 70k km on. It was my late mother's car, so when she passed away, I bought it from my father. I've put about 20k km on it since I had it.
The Cayenne S Diesel is quite scarce; with its twin-turbo V8 Diesel, 292kw and 850nm it is a lovely car to drive. And mine is still in excellent condition. Also, there is the sentimental aspect that comes with it. I don't really want to sell it, and it has great fuel consumption.

I barely drive it, mainly because the infotainment system is the old POS stock standard Porsche kak radio with no CarPlay or Bluetooth for music. So it's either CDs or radio stations. I don't do either. If I drive it, I listen to the engine.

Been pondering if I should change the radio and upgrade the sound. Then the Raptor can rest a bit; I know that for sure.
It would be much cheaper than changing to a new car.
Here are some options for upgrading the Cayenne to Apple CarPlay / Android Auto...


 
I saw a new 2026 model 420d today - my sister bought one in that beaitiful mix of metallic and pearl blue with the nice mag wheels and bigger tyres.

I only saw it when I escorted her out of my large property - she had parked outside. Man was that a beauty! The front grill is much bigger now.
The G22.

The one which Bugs would approve.

1791281411126.png
 
I find my mind wandering off with the idea of changing my current 2016 Cayenne S Diesel to a Cayenne GTS or maybe a Lexus GX.

Like so

View attachment 1942620


or so

View attachment 1942621


Two very different purpose-built cars I know.

The thing is, my current Cayenne S is 10 years old with only around 70k km on. It was my late mother's car, so when she passed away, I bought it from my father. I've put about 20k km on it since I had it.
The Cayenne S Diesel is quite scarce; with its twin-turbo V8 Diesel, 292kw and 850nm it is a lovely car to drive. And mine is still in excellent condition. Also, there is the sentimental aspect that comes with it. I don't really want to sell it, and it has great fuel consumption.

I barely drive it, mainly because the infotainment system is the old POS stock standard Porsche kak radio with no CarPlay or Bluetooth for music. So it's either CDs or radio stations. I don't do either. If I drive it, I listen to the engine.

Been pondering if I should change the radio and upgrade the sound. Then the Raptor can rest a bit; I know that for sure.
It would be much cheaper than changing to a new car.
More monotone grey blandness - what happened to vibrant colours? They disappeared, just like colourful brand badges... (with a few exceptions)... ;)

1791356236816.png

1791356313572.png

1791356341300.png
 
I was shopping around for a used Amarok until I saw this. Now, I can't wait for it's launch so I can test drive and make up my mind. However, based on how impressed I was by the Scopio N; I'm almost certain this will be my next to buy...
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot_20261007_204712_Samsung Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20261007_204712_Samsung Browser.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 10
I want the new Lux. I’ve done nearly 70k on the preloved I’m currently in. Probably in the new year.
 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X