Apple iPhone 18 series thread

Struggling to think of why I would need to upgrade from my existing 16Pro.

Siri AI is still hugely undercooked by all accounts even on the superior hardware of the 18.

So still very much in ‘wait and see’ mode here
 
Complaining about the filesystem? What year is it lol.
Lol, true but it is a fair point for people who are on the fence about leaving Android for iOS.
I still find the iOS File System a little wild, I’ve owned Androids since 2010 and iOS devices since 2012, if I remember correctly the iOS “Files” app came in around iOS 10? It has been a weird experience with it ever since, I think the likes of Symbian, Windows Mobile (6.5 and down/pre 7 WP) and Android have had/have far more intuitive file systems.
Even the MacOS system makes a lot more sense, Apple need to rethink the iOS or completely forget it, IMO.

The pricey 1TB and 2TB iPhone 18 Pro and Pro Max found to use very slow memory

The iPhone 17 Pro and Pro Max last year introduced a 2TB storage tier. Just like them, the iPhone 18 Pro and iPhone 18 Pro Max are available in four configurations: 256GB, 512GB, 1TB and 2TB. Something has changed, however, and it is the type of storage used. In a video on BiliBili, Homolab compared two 18 Pro Max phones, one with 512GB storage and one with 1TB.

Apparently, the 256GB and 512GB Pro models use TLC flash – each memory cell fits three bits. However, the 1TB and 2TB models use QLC – four bits per memory cell. QLC is known to be slow, so Apple added a fast SLC cache (one bit per cell), followed by a TLC cache and then the QLC bulk storage.

That works well until it doesn’t. In the tests, the SLC cache could sustain write speeds of up to 3,000MB/s. But once it’s filled up, the phone starts writing to its TLC cache, which is slower but still respectable at 578MB/s. And once both levels of cache are full, the phone goes to the QLC storage that only manages 79.4MB/s with dips to 25.6MB/s.

This is while the storage is empty, when the SLC cache is 250GB. But once storage starts to fill up, the size of the cache shrinks – at 60% storage used, the SLC cache is only 58GB. The TLC and QLC memories get similarly filled up and they become slower too.

Homolab’s measurements at 60% storage used show 396MB/s for the TLC cache and an abysmal 1.1MB/s for the QLC storage. Again, this is for sustained writes.



It is crazy to me that the more expensive models got this treatment.
512GB seems to be the best option in terms of “future proofing” and storage speed.
 
I’m actually so lost at this, the 18 Pro Max 512GB is sitting at R35999, this is well within what a 512GB 15 Pro Max, 16 Pro Max and 17 Pro Max cost. In fact if I remember correctly the 17 Pro Max 512GB was R36799 at launch because when I insured mine that is the price I got from iStore.
I don’t understand all this drama people try create with each iPhone launch when the pricing has actually barely changed since 2022.

Edit: I quickly went back to my emails to my insurance broker, when I got the 15 Pro Max 512GB at launch it was worth R38999, when I got the 17 Pro Max 512GB at launch it was R36799.

The 18 Pro Max 512GB is at R35999, they have actually come down in price, I’m guessing this may also be due to currency fluctuations.
When I lost my 1st 15 Pro Max and found a replacement unit at Mac Shack the price had dropped for the same model by a few thousand Rand, I think my 2nd 15 PM was about R36K.
 
Who is still waiting for their 18 Pro or Pro Max and what's the current ETA?
Gave up on it.

Pre-order 256GB Pro Max: out of stock. Substituted for a 512GB that showed in stock when I was chatting to iStore: out of stock. Now waiting 3 weeks for a refund on a cancelled pre-order, and getting the "refund policy" timeline runaround..

Looked at the Air again, and pulled the trigger on Amazon SA. Enough of an upgrade over the 14 Pro Max that I don't regret the decision, AND a lot cheaper. Take into account, it works for MY usage pattern.
 
Gave up on it.

Pre-order 256GB Pro Max: out of stock. Substituted for a 512GB that showed in stock when I was chatting to iStore: out of stock. Now waiting 3 weeks for a refund on a cancelled pre-order, and getting the "refund policy" timeline runaround..

Looked at the Air again, and pulled the trigger on Amazon SA. Enough of an upgrade over the 14 Pro Max that I don't regret the decision, AND a lot cheaper. Take into account, it works for MY usage pattern.
I'm curious to learn about your experience with the Air. The first couple of months when a new iPhone launches is always a stuggle I feel your pain it's basically a lottery if you get one or not
 
I'm curious to learn about your experience with the Air. The first couple of months when a new iPhone launches is always a stuggle I feel your pain it's basically a lottery if you get one or not
Honestly, it is impressing me. I did a clean DFU restore of iOS27 on the 14 Pro Max and used it for about 8 days prior to getting the Air and:
  • Air feels a lot snappier (12 vs 6GB of RAM)
  • Battery significantly smaller, but better battery life with the same usage (14PM was on 78% BH). Had a very light usage day yesterday, and battery dropped 21%. I'm going for a second day without charging.
  • Screen size the same for practical purposes, and brighter
  • Single camera does what I need from it, though I miss macro every so often
  • Have not experienced the single speaker as a limitation
  • Feels "just right" in the hand. I use it with a thin Belkin case, not brave enough to go naked with any phone
  • Got the 256GB Air for R19,499 on Amazon, cheapest 18PM 256GB I could find was R30,699, but no stock.
On launch I fully ignore the Air, and glad I looked at it again. It is everything I need in a phone, for RK12 less than the latest iteration.
 
iPhone 18 Pro Burgundy paint fading issues reported by some early adopters

Within a couple of weeks of launching, iPhone 17 Pro and 17 Pro Max users last year started complaining online of a weird discoloration issue that affected mainly the hero Cosmic Orange color, but it was also observed on the Deep Blue paint job. Now, the iPhone 18 Pro series users are going through the same phase.

A number of Reddit users have posted pictures of Burgundy red units slowly getting pale. Some discolored Black iPhones can also be spotted among the subreddits. Just like last year, the discoloration seems to start from the area around the camera lenses before spreading to the whole aluminum chassis.

Again, people are speculating why this is happening and are discussing workarounds, like using the phone with a case at all times. Our best bet is UV light, because just like before, the discoloration begins after the phone has spent some time outside.




 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X