100Mbps capped fibre - Pricing comparison

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
100Mbps capped fibre - Pricing comparison

Demand for high-speed fibre broadband continues to grow in South Africa, with ADSL connections steadily becoming a relic of the past.

Openserve has even said that it plans to turn off its copper network in the next five years, as maintaining this infrastructure is becoming increasingly expensive and customers are moving over to more efficient technology.

greg0205

Honorary Master
Why?

Why would anyone consciously sit back and say, “I’mma get me a 100meg fibre line and cap that s**t at 50gigs!”?

... Or any amount of data, including the 1Tb?

Why?

furpile

Expert Member
Why?

Why would anyone consciously sit back and say, “I’mma get me a 100meg fibre line and cap that s**t at 50gigs!”?

Why?
Or that silly 25 GB Afrihost account.

Unreal

Why?

Why?[/QUOTE
Why?

Why?
I also don't understand. Maybe there's something we are missing because people actually want these capped accounts.

BlaQ_PhoeniX

Uncapped high-speed fibre with no fair usage policy is the ideal connection for many South Africans, but this can be relatively expensive, especially considering the comparatively cheap price tag of capped packages.
How can you say this when the 100GB 100/10 package on Vumatel costs just as much as the CoolIdeas 100/100 Uncapped package!?

EADC

Expert Member
I also don't understand. Maybe there's something we are missing because people actually want these capped accounts.
It's also a case of not being informed enough people still have the mindset of uncapped = throttled and shaped which on fibre is not the case.

Afrihost and axxess also don't help with their teird packages

GhostSixFour

Mafia Addict
Its due to the absurd fair use policies some ISP's have on their "uncapped" accounts. So people then go and buy these capped abominations and they are then happy to get "full unshaped and unthrottled" usage.

So these things exists because our ISP's made uncapped terrible.

MEIOT

Expert Member
It just a con - that's all it is - I get 100Mb/s Uncapped/Unshaped no FUP for the price Afrihost is charging for a 50GB cap.

Venomous

Honorary Master
There are ISPs that offer uncapped, unshaped and unthrottled fibre. Bitco is one of them.

So not really a reason to go for capped data if there are uncapped services that are unthrottled and unshaped.

ZuluKing

Cool Ideas gives me uncapped unshaped 50MB/s speed for R 900 a month. Why would anyone be so stupid to sign up to any of those day light robbers? I don't use much data but nice that every download or game update happens in a flash.

Swa

Honorary Master
Because they want to rape us by charging extra for the normal packages. Would be ok if we were paying less for the restrictive packages but we're not and are paying normal rates or even more for them as well. Wish someone would just break this culture of profiteering and launch 100mb for R300.

cavedog

Honorary Master
So capped fibre only makes sense on 1 fibre network and that is Openserve. It also only makes sense on 2 speeds. 100/50Mbps and 200/100Mbps and here is why.

100/50Mbps line rental only R599 per month
200/100Mbps line rental only R829 per month

Axxess capped account 150GB for R158
Vox fat pipe capped account 200GB for R159

Both these accounts give you unlimited data between Midnight and 6am.

On a 100/50Mbps connection you can do ~260GB of downloading and 130GB uploading.
On a 200/100Mbps connection you can do ~520GB of downloading and 260GB uploading.

So total cost is R758 per month with Vox and a 100Mbps line and R988 per month with Vox and a 200Mbps. I don't think you can get something similar or close to this on uncapped packages on Openserve. So if you have a strict budget but still want a fast line then the capped accounts actually makes sense and the fact that you can switch account by simply dialing a pppoe connection is an added advantage so when you are capped you can just buy another cheap account and use it until you get new allocation month end.

Just to make things interesting a 40Mbps uncapped unshaped line from CISP is R1299. A 40Mbps line maxed on downloading for 24 hours can transfer a max of ~388GB. This total is lower than the max a 200Mbps line can do in the 6 hours uncapped time of a capped account. So even if you went with a 40Mbps you would still need to max the line for more than 24 hours to be able to transfer the same amount of data it a 200Mbps line did.

Now obviously when you want to stream and watch youtube is probably when the uncapped 40Mbps line will be ideal but there is definitely a place for capped accounts on Openserve fibre.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Where is 100mb line rental 599?

I went from 100mb/200GB which was fine for a while, to 300GB then to 400GB (because upgrading the account on vox is way cheaper than topping up). I only ever really used 2xxGB in "peak" hours but then had 100mb line for off peak so generally any Linux ISOs were done by 00:10. I now have retirees in the cottage and I share with them and they stream all day so that 2xx went to 8xx and now it's cheaper to go uncapped.

Was paying R810 for line and R299 for 400GB (which carries over, and had accumulated to around 1.8TB). The best uncapped, unshaped, no FUP, 100mb package on openserve is R1499.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Where is 100mb line rental 599?

I went from 100mb/200GB which was fine for a while, to 300GB then to 400GB (because upgrading the account on vox is way cheaper than topping up). I only ever really used 2xxGB in "peak" hours but then had 100mb line for off peak so generally any Linux ISOs were done by 00:10. I now have retirees in the cottage and I share with them and they stream all day so that 2xx went to 8xx and now it's cheaper to go uncapped.

Was paying R810 for line and R299 for 400GB (which carries over, and had accumulated to around 1.8TB). The best uncapped, unshaped, no FUP, 100mb package on openserve is R1499.
https://www.isat.co.za/products/openserve-fibre-line-rental.aspx

Some people had bad experiences with them some good. They have been around for AGES though.

You can also get contact www.infogro.co.za their fibre line rentals are also very competitive.

fibre_100.png

Last edited: