10GbE networking

newby_investor

Expert Member
Any homelabbers here?

I've got a couple of HP microservers, currently in a Docker Swarm cluster with Glusterfs for persistent storage. (though I'm thinking of playing around with other things as well.)

I've been toying with the idea of getting 10GbE networking for them, to speed up the intra-cluster communication. Something like this:

Has anyone tried using anything like this at home?

MDKza

If I was you I would check reviews on that Asus card.
If they are positive, I can't see why it wouldn't work for your usage.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've been contemplating it but I have other priorities (like more hard drives).

All my machines are hooked up with dual aggregated 1Gbit links which is fine for my needs.

newby_investor

Expert Member
Ha, don't tempt me.

My storage is seriously bursting at the seems and plan to add a new 14TB x 4 pool to my TrueNAS box. Maybe after that I'll look at upgrading the network :)
I'm not running out of storage anytime soon, but file transfers only get about 200 Mb/s, I suspect it's because of the clustered file-system that I am using. The boxes I have only have a single 1GbE NIC and it's doing some hard work (though only when I make it work, most of the time it sits idle).

I'd prefer for it to be a bit faster. Though more hard drives are also always tempting...

newby_investor

Expert Member
Upgrading network speed will only speed things up to a certain point.
If you have cr*p drives then you will get cr*p speed regardless of the networking.
Previously having the drives in a RAID5 configuration, I got pretty good speeds, certainly in excess of 500 Mb/s.

I'm imagining though that extra interconnect will be helpful for more than just file transfers, especially for containers to talk to each other.

MDKza

I am pretty sure you will see a benefit then, the jump from 1 to 10 is substantial.
If you have the cash do it and give us a review

newby_investor

Expert Member
I am pretty sure you will see a benefit then, the jump from 1 to 10 is substantial.
If you have the cash do it and give us a review
I don't have the cash immediately, maybe in a month or two. Just finished the process of buying a house so it'll take a bit for my finances to recover ;)

But I will post a thorough review along with benchmarks before and after once I'm done.