2 Landlines - 1 Address

Dirtdiver

Hi Guys

If i add a second line/number on my premises, do i need to pay a second line rental fee? Will the bill be on one account?

Thanks.

Praemon

Expert Member
Is this even possible? (innocent question here)
Yes, but as mentioned, each line attracts a rental fee.

I did it at my previous home, and had 2 phone lines for a month. Basically the initial phone line was terrible quality, so I couldn't get ADSL. They wouldn't replace it though, and suggested it could take a few months since it wasn't a high priority. However, Telkom won't say no to new business. So I ordered a second line, and since it couldn't be piggy backed on the previous line due to its poor quality, they had to lay a new line. I then immediately cancelled the first line after installation of the second, since I now could get ADSL. Whole thing took 1 week :)

Dirtdiver

Thanks guys, that's very clever Praemon :). Ill do an application now.
@Praemon , anything i need to specify when doing this application. Is it just straight forward.

Last edited:

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Once had 2 ADSL line into home, back in the day when 1mbps was king. Had a motherboard with 2 LAN ports. One 384 line was for the family main LAN, while the other 384 lines router was only plugged into my second LAN port and when I wanted to game online and such I'd just disabled the one LAN port and activated the other, then the others online stuff didn't interfere with my gaming.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
Is this even possible? (innocent question here)
I have two lines. The one is currently disconnected at the exchange though. At the time I was running a business from home and the max I could get was 4meg. With the kids streaming media all the time and chowing all the bandwidth, the cheapest option was to get another line.

Praemon

Expert Member
Thanks guys, that's very clever Praemon :). Ill do an application now.
@Praemon , anything i need to specify when doing this application. Is it just straight forward.
This was many years ago, so can't remember the whole process, but I don't remember having issues with the application. I think I may have done it over the phone or online. You could also try going to a local Telkom shop.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
With OpenServe one can have 2 fibre lines easily apparently (don't know about other providers). There are 2 fibre strands in the cable they put in.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
With OpenServe one can have 2 fibre lines easily apparently (don't know about other providers). There are 2 fibre strands in the cable they put in.
But do they terminate both strands? Properly with connectors provided? Not the ones I have seen.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Vumatel does! They terminate both fibre strands straight off.

And when IF ever OpenServe finally do get to start delivering fibre in my area, that WILL be my requirement. I don't want them coming back ever.

DeathStrike

Expert Member
Vumatel does! They terminate both fibre strands straight off.

And when IF ever OpenServe finally do get to start delivering fibre in my area, that WILL be my requirement. I don't want them coming back ever.
Is Vumatel good? got mail from them saying they just need 90 more people in my area to request fibre then they will start laying cables.

Geoff.D

Executive Member
Is Vumatel good? got mail from them saying they just need 90 more people in my area to request fibre then they will start laying cables.
Absolutely no idea . Don't like the way they mess up peoples driveways and paving but approve of the way and the material they use to terminate the fibre.