2019 BMW X4 (2nd Generation)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
First official pictures are out of the all new 2nd Gen X4.

BMW X4 M40d

Its predecessor - the first ever Sports Activity Coupe at the premium end of the mid-size class - broke new ground and now the all-new BMW X4 is writing the next chapter in this story of success. Its vehicle concept, which fuses the hallmark features of a BMW X model with the sporting elegance of a coupe, has also proved an instant hit in this class. Approximately 200,000 units of the first-generation X4 have been sold around the world since the original model was launched in 2014. The all-new BMW X4 underscores its individual character with significantly enhanced driving dynamics, standout exterior design accentuating the car's sporting instincts, a further refined premium ambience in the interior, state-of-the-art driver assistance systems and leading-edge connectivity technologies. Added to which, the dynamic and extravagant aura of the Sports Activity Coupe is further highlighted by the addition of two BMW M Performance models to the line-up: the all-new BMW X4 M40i and all-new BMW X4 M40d.

The exterior design of the all-new BMW X4 is a case study in muscular dynamics and commanding presence. Clean surfacing and high-class, modern accents headline this updated interpretation of the unmistakable X4 aesthetic. The X4 assumes the role of eye-catching athlete in the BMW X model family.

"The second-generation BMW X4 brings together a distinctive, dynamic silhouette with a clear, pared-back use of forms," says Adrian van Hooydonk, Senior Vice President BMW Group Design.

Dynamically stretched proportions, powerful styling

An increase of 81 millimetres in exterior length to 4,752 millimetres, 54 millimetres added to the wheelbase (now 2,864 millimetres), an extra 37 millimetres of width (1,918 millimetres) and a 3-millimetre drop in height (to 1,621 millimetres) lend the all-new BMW X4 dynamically stretched proportions. Short overhangs and powerfully formed, subtly hexagonal wheel arches emphasise the perfectly balanced 50:50 distribution of weight between the front and rear axle.

In the centre of the striking front end stands a large BMW kidney grille in three-dimensional look. Twin headlight units with dynamic contours and horizontal foglamps integrated into the outer air intakes form a new interpretation of the familiar six-eyed face espoused by BMW X models. All of the light functions feature LED technology as standard.

The precise shoulderline - which takes in the door openers en route to the rear lights - and the character line between the wheel arches break up the surfaces of the car's flanks. This creates clearly defined haunches, which are additionally emphasised by the drawn-in glasshouse at the rear. The coupe-style roofline slides into the rear window with an elegant flourish before dipping down more steeply to the rear. The window graphic also underlines the dynamic proportions of the all-new BMW X4, thanks to a smoothly rising sill line and an elongated take on the Hofmeister kink "counter-swing" at the base of the C-pillars.

Clearly structured surfaces and horizontal lines shape the car's tail. The LED rear lights, with their three-dimensional shaping, are slim in design and positioned at the extreme edges of the rear. Together with the twin exhaust tailpipes (shared by all engine variants), they magnify the width of the rear end.

https://www.netcarshow.com/bmw/2019-x4_m40d/

IMG_3127.JPG

IMG_3133.JPG

IMG_3134.JPG

IMG_3131.JPG

IMG_3132.JPG

Last edited:

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2018 BMW X4 unveiled: new swept-back SUV sets it sights on Evoque

In a bid to close the gap to Land Rover's top-seller, the Mercedes GLC Coupé and Porsche Macan, BMW has reinvented its X4

BMW is taking renewed aim at the Range Rover Evoque and a growing number of style-led premium-brand SUVs with its new second-generation X4 – which arrives just four years after the old model.

The original X4 SUV was introduced in 2014 but struggled to match the success of rivals such as the Evoque and Porsche Macan. BMW is launching a new version now because of the arrival of a third generation of the X4’s sister car, the X3. The two models are produced on the same production line at BMW’s US factory in Spartanburg.

BMW plans to give the X4 its public debut at the Geneva motor show next month. UK sales books open tomorrow (Thursday 14 February) and the first UK deliveries are scheduled for 15 July. Prices start at £42,900, compared with £38,540 for the outgoing X4 range, which is indicative of the new model’s gentle shift upmarket.

BMW also claims the new X4 will take a big step forward in terms of handling and driving dynamics compared with its predecessor.

The new X4 will be launched with a choice of four longitudinally mounted engines: two four-cylinder petrol units and two four-cylinder diesel options. Two six-cylinder M Performance models will be introduced in the coming months.

The base 2.0-litre petrol unit will be offered with 184bhp (in the xDrive20i) and 252bhp (xDrive30i). That gives the xDrive30i a 0-62mph time of 6.3sec and 150mph top speed.

The 2.0-litre diesel options offer 190bhp (xDrive20d), which has a claimed combined average of 52.3mpg and a 142g/km CO2 rating, and 231bhp (xDrive25d).

The M Performance models will start with the M40i, which runs the latest evolution of BMW’s turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder engine. It matches its predecessor by producing 360bhp but has an extra 25lb ft of torque (at 369lb ft) and can achieve 0-62mph in 4.8sec on its way to a governed top speed of 155mph. BMW claims 31.4mpg fuel economy and CO2 emissions of 209g/km.

The other performance model, the M40d, uses a turbocharged 3.0-litre inline six-cylinder diesel, which produces 326bhp and 370lb ft of torque. It does 0-62mph in 4.9sec and also has a governed top speed of 155mph. It has fuel economy of 44.1mpg, with CO2 emissions of 173g/km.

The X4, along with its X3 sibling, is based on BMW’s CLAR platform (first introduced on the latest 7 Series). BMW says the platform’s extensive use of aluminium and highstrength steel makes the X4 more rigid than its predecessor and up to 50kg lighter. Despite that, the new model is bigger: it’s 81mm longer (at 4752mm) and 37mm wider (at 1918mm). A lower ride height contributes to a 3mm reduction in height (at 1621mm) and the wheelbase is 54mm longer (at 2864mm) than previously. BMW claims a perfect 50/50 front-to-rear weight distribution.

The interior of the X4 is shared with the X3. BMW says it has used higher-grade materials and the latest generation of switchgear with the aim of providing the new model with a more premium feel than the first X4. BMW also promises extra comfort through redesigned sport seats with added support.

The revamped interior also includes infotainment functions delivered via the latest evolution of BMW’s iDrive system, which operates through a standard 6.5in or optional 10.3in free-standing touchscreen display. It is linked to a traditional rotary controller between the seats but voice control (which, BMW says, recognises conversational commands) and gesture control systems are available as options.

The new X4’s longer wheelbase adds 27mm of rear leg room over the old car and boot capacity has increased by 25 litres to 525 litres. An optional cargo function allows the back rests of the standard 40/20/40 folding rear seats to be adjusted individually. When they are all folded, the car has a cargo capacity of 1430 litres.

As with the X3, the X4 comes as standard with an eight-speed torque-converter automatic gearbox. It has Steptronic control, with steering-wheel-mounted shift paddles on all but the xDrive20i and xDrive20d.

The automatic gearbox is allied to the latest version of BMW’s electronically controlled xDrive fourwheel-drive system, which is programmed to apportion drive with a rear-wheel bias. It operates in combination with a standard Performance Control function, which provides a torque-vectoring effect by varying the amount of drive sent to each individual rear wheel. Also included as standard is BMW’s Driving Experience Control system. This lets the driver choose between Sport, Comfort and Eco-Pro modes. Higher-spec models also have an extra mode called Sport Plus.

The X4 adopts new double-wishbone front suspension, also seen on the X3, that is claimed to offer a considerable reduction in unsprung masses compared with its predecessor. As standard, all models have M Sport suspension and speed sensitive electro-mechanical Servotronic steering. Wheel sizes range from 18in to 20in. The tyres on 20in wheels are 245/45 front and 275/40 rear.

Although the X4 has been developed primarily for onroad driving, BMW says it has also been engineered to handle mild off-road excursions, with a ground clearance of 204mm and a fording depth of 500mm together with break-over, approach and departure angles of 19.4deg, 25.7deg and 22.6deg respectively.

By comparison, the most basic Pure version of the smaller Evoque has 213mm of ground clearance, a fording depth of 500mm and breakover, approach and departure figures of 22.0deg, 23.2deg and 33.0deg. Like the Evoque, the new BMW also receives Hill Descent Control and Hill Start Assist systems as standard.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/2018-bmw-x4-revealed

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW X4 revealed (with M40i and M40d models)!

BMW has taken the wraps off its new, second-generation X4, with the coupé-style SUV growing appreciably in size and the line-up gaining a pair of “M Performance” models.

Based on the latest G01-generation X3, the new X4 is 81 mm longer and 37 mm wider than the model it replaces, while its wheelbase has been stretched a further 54 mm to 2 864 mm. Load space can be expanded from a claimed 525 litres to a maximum of 1 430 litres by folding down sections of the rear backrest (which is split 40:20:40).

The new X4 is scheduled to arrive in South Africa in the third quarter of 2018. Customers will have the choice of xLine, M Sport X and M Sport variants.

BMW says buyers will be able to choose from three petrol and four diesel engines, although South Africa will miss out on one engine option, with the local range set to initially comprise the xDrive20i, xDrive20d, xDrive30i and M40i. The xDrive30d is due to arrive in the final quarter of 2018, with the M40d joining the range in the first quarter of 2019.

BMW X4 The X4 M40i employs a six-cylinder inline petrol unit turbocharged to produce 265 kW and 500 N.m, which BMW says is enough for a 0-100 km/h sprint in 4,8 seconds. The M40d draws 240 kW and 680 N.m from its straight-six diesel heart, completing the obligatory dash to three figures in a claimed 4,9 seconds.

The six-cylinder, oil-burning xDrive30d makes 195 kW and 620 N.m, while the xDrive25d is the single engine derivative not destined for local shores. The 2,0-litre, four-cylinder xDrive20d is worth a diesel-flavoured 140 kW and 400 N.m, while the petrol-powered xDrive20i and xDrive30i (both four-pots) make 135 kW/290 N.m and 185 kW/350 N.m, respectively.

All models employ an eight-speed Steptronic transmission (with shift paddles) and xDrive all-wheel drive as standard. The M Performance derivatives furthermore come equipped as standard with 20-inch light-alloy wheels, M Sport brakes and an M Sport differential.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/new-bmw-x4-revealed-with-m40i-and-m40d-models/

epah

Expert Member
They sold 200 000 of them, wow that’s actually pretty good

FiestaST

Honorary Master
[video=youtube;u2tHQHb4Msg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2tHQHb4Msg[/video]

Acajou

I'm still not sold on the styling of these "coupé-UVs". The back just looks off :erm:

Reactions: Fro

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW throws M Performance parts at its X2, X3 and X4

BMW has reached into its extensive M Performance Parts kitty, grabbed a handful of tasty accessories and thrown them at the three newest additions to the Munich-based brand’s X family: the X2, X3 and X4.

One of the first items you’ll likely notice are the M Performance side-mirror caps, which are made from carbon-fibre. BMW says these items are “crafted elaborately by hand” from carbon-fibre reinforced-plastic and finished with a high-gloss polish.

Then there are the obligatory “M Performance” decals, with the side lettering in Frozen Black. In addition, BMW says the appearance of the X3 and X4 can be further enhanced with front lettering in high-gloss black, matching the other front attachment parts for these two models. An M Performance front grille in high-gloss black, meanwhile, is also available for the X2.

BMW says it has also added a number of new alloy wheel designs to its M Performance parts catalogue. The 20-inch 717 M wheels, for instance, will be available for the X2 in a matte black finish. And 19-inch M Performance light alloys (698 M) in Orbit Grey will be offered for the X3 and X4 siblings. Two-tone 21-inch forged wheels (701 M) are the largest on the list for the X3 and X4, weighing some 2 kg less than a similarly designed cast wheel in the same format.

Inside, buyers can specify M Performance floor mats (made of velour velvet with a leather-look surround and contrasting decorative seams) and an M Performance steering wheel with specially lined grip areas trimmed in Alcantara. The upper and lower parts of the tiller are covered in leather, while a red motorsports marking and silver-grey cross-stitch seam are also present.

For the X3 and X4, shift paddles are available in high-gloss carbon-fibre, with “plus” and “minus” symbols in anodised red. Lastly, LED door projectors replace the standard entry light and project a graphic onto the ground when the door is opened. The selection of available motifs include the BMW M logo and various items from an M Performance slide set.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news_post/bmw-throws-m-performance-parts-at-its-x2-x3-and-x4/

DB711F6B-59BB-49A7-B955-E90276FE7406.jpeg
5BF80C74-DA9C-4E92-8E7B-E60521AB39EC.jpeg
6EB72E5E-5F0F-45AD-9172-74562521FDC5.jpeg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
2019 BMW X4 | Unveil | Edmunds

[video=youtube;dfMRSP--Fvw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dfMRSP--Fvw[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
CarTell.tv preview

[video=youtube_share;xqAepk5PHXk]https://youtu.be/xqAepk5PHXk[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
CarAdvice first drive

[video=youtube_share;2CrB4LNn8YY]https://youtu.be/2CrB4LNn8YY[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Here’s how much the new BMW X4 (including M40i) costs

The new BMW X4 is scheduled to arrive in South Africa in September 2018, with the local range initially comprising the xDrive20i, xDrive 20d and M40i derivatives. In the first quarter of 2019, the M40d (read our first drive of this model here) is expected to join the line-up.

The second-generation X4 is 81 mm longer and 37 mm wider than the model it replaces, while its wheelbase has been stretched a further 54 mm to 2 864 mm. Load space can be expanded from a claimed 525 litres to a maximum of 1 430 litres by folding down sections of the rear backrest (which is split 40:20:40).

So, how much are we looking at? Well, the xDrive20d, which employs a 2,0-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine worth 140 kW and 400 N.m, comes in at R850 542, while the xDrive20i (with the Bavarian brand’s familiar 135 kW/290 N.m 2,3-litre turbo-four) is ever-so-slightly dearer at R854 337.

And the big daddy of the range? Well, the M40i will set you back R1 148 185, which buys you a six-cylinder inline petrol unit turbocharged to produce 265 kW and 500 N.m. That’s enough, says BMW, for a 0-100 km/h sprint in 4,8 seconds.

All models employ an eight-speed Steptronic transmission (with shift paddles) and xDrive all-wheel drive as standard. The M Performance derivative furthermore comes equipped with 20-inch light-alloy wheels, M Sport brakes and an M Sport differential.

Pricing:

BMW X4 xDrive20d: R850 542
BMW X4 xDrive20i: R854 337
BMW X4 M40i: R1 148 185

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/heres-how-much-the-new-bmw-x4-including-m40i-costs/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
DRIVEN: BMW X4 M40d xDrive Sport Steptronic

With the latest-generation X3 already the segment’s kingpin in terms of dynamic handling, how the X4 could improve that benchmark was always going to be the question levelled at this more svelte sibling. And more svelte it certainly is, with added definition in its sculpted flanks and shoulders, slimmer rear lamps and BMW’s amplified interpretation of its kidney grille. While coupé-like SUVs do remain the niche of a very particular automotive taste, this new X4 does look significantly more resolved and comfortable in its skin than its slightly awkward forbear.

Like the X3 and the 5 Series, it is based on BMW’s new (larger but lighter) CLAR platform. It’s therefore a bigger car than the one it replaces – 81 mm longer, 37 mm wider and a 54 mm longer in its wheelbase – with noticeably more interior room. Still, the overall packaging is not as generous as that of the X3, with less headroom aft, as well as decreased legroom across the second row. Its boot is also smaller than the X3 at 525 litres, but that’s still a size large enough for average family duties.

Compared with the outgoing X4, the CLAR platform brings with it a wider track, lower centre of gravity, up to 50 kg less mass and 10% less aerodynamic drag than its predecessor. Added to the obvious dynamic qualities these changes bring – well documented in our tests of both the X3 and 5 Series – the M40d also sports trick chassis components and an uprated engine. The dynamic traction system works through the M Sport differential to apportion the requisite grip fore and aft, while the X3 suspension has been adjusted to suit the X4’s lower centre of gravity, with a standard-spec adaptive M Sport suspension, Performance Control torque-vectoring system and variable sport steering fitted to all models. The M40d also benefits from M Sport brakes.

Under the hood is BMW’s excellent 3,0-litre, straight-six turbodiesel found in a number of the marque’s current range, though here it’s tuned up to deliver an Audi SQ5-rivalling 240 kW and 680 N.m of torque to all four wheels, with a slight bias to the rear. It’s a drivetrain we were able to put to the test on a circuit at BMW Performance Centre’s proving grounds in Greer, South Carolina (where the vehicle is built). The bumped-up engine remains a gem and a personal favourite, although in manual mode I often found myself hitting the limiter sooner than I expected as the diesel taps out at 4 500 r/min, which means you tend to move through the gears fairly quickly. There’s little lag, response is excellent and the in-gear punch ferocious enough to make it feel like a performance vehicle.

Cycling through the different stages of traction control while lapping the small track served to highlight just how engaging the X4’s handling can be in any mode. Typically of a BMW, thanks to the adaptive suspension and steering system, the crossover provides an accurate and responsive feel granting you enough confidence to push it to the edge. There the vehicle defaults to safe understeer, but it’s possible to bring the rear-end in to play by lifting the throttle.

Realistically, though, very few X4s will spend time on a racetrack and its day-to-day manners as a crossover are far more relevant. On the road, the X4 remains a composed and comfortable vehicle. In comfort mode, engine, road and wind suppression are impressively low and the adaptive suspension provides a well-damped ride, negating the harshness of the low-profile 20-inch alloy wheels on the roads of South Carolina. The turbodiesel also provides a smooth delivery of power to the four wheels and offers equally slick gear changes via the eight-speed torque converter.

As ever, the X4 remains a niche product, designed to appeal to those who want a blend of sporty coupé-like styling with more practicality than actual two-door variants can offer. This mix does come at a price, however, and the less-expensive X3 M40i, for example, offers only marginally less in terms of dynamic abilities but better packaging (and you can order your X3 M40i with the adaptive M suspension as an R11 000 option).

When it launches here in September 2018, the X4 range will comprise the 20i, 20d and M40i, with this M40d making its appearance in the first quarter of 2019. There’s no indication of its pricing yet but, with the X4 M40i costing R1 148 185 at launch, we can expect the oil burner to be in the same ballpark. For those who still find 240 kW a little lacking in punch, you might want to hold on for a while longer as BMW unveils the X4 M in 2019.

Model:BMW X4 M40d xDrive Sport Steptronic
Price:TBA
Engine:3,0-litre, 6-cyl, turbodiesel
Power:240 kW
Torque:680 N.m
0-100 km/h:4,9 seconds
Top Speed:250 km/h
Fuel Consumption:6,6 L/100 km
CO2:173 g/km
Transmission:8-spd AT

http://www.carmag.co.za/car-reviews/driven-bmw-x4-m40d-xdrive-sport-steptronic/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW X4 2018 review

Should I buy one?

The X4 is an impressive all-rounder with an endearingly sporting touch. It offers responsive car-like dynamics, impressive mechanical refinement, class-competitive quality and a good deal of space, if not the ultimate versatility and everyday ease of use delivered by the more upright X3.

The M40d, while seemingly expensive next to its lesser siblings, is the clear choice for enthusiast drivers, although we suspect the sweet spot in the range might come further down the line-up in the form of the xDrive20d or xDrive30d — neither of which was on hand at BMW’s launch earlier this month.

BMW X4 M40d specification

Where US Price £55,315 On sale now Engine 6-cyl, in-line, 2979cc, twin-turbocharged, diesel Power 326bhp at 4400rpm Torque 501lb ft at 1750 - 2750rpm Gearbox 8-spd automatic Kerb weight 1895kg Top speed 155mph (limited) 0-62mph 4.9sec Fuel economy 47.9mpg CO2 173g/km Rivals Porsche Macan, Mercedes-Benz GLC, Land Rover Evoque

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/bmw/x4/first-drives/bmw-x4-2018-review

IMG_6105.JPG

IMG_6112.JPG

IMG_6106.JPG

IMG_6109.JPG

IMG_6110.JPG

IMG_6111.JPG

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Edmunds review

[video=youtube_share;h4bJj8cO5kk]https://youtu.be/h4bJj8cO5kk[/video]

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Driven: BMW's brawny new SA-bound X4

You would understand if the second-generation BMW X4 felt a little lost among all the hype surrounding BMW's ever-expanding X range, with all the recent focus being on the mic dropping X2, the more bush-friendly fourth-generation X5 and the highly-anticipated Texas-sized X7. And yet of all BMW's modern 'X men', the X4 arguably remains the most faithful to BMW's original USP of grin-inducing driving dynamics.

Like its predecessor, it's essentially a non-identical evil twin of the X3, although this time around it has a more distinct personality, both in the way it looks and how it drives. To get a first-hand experience of the latter, BMW invited us to the production home of the X4, its Spartanburg facility in South Carolina, which also has the distinction of being the biggest BMW plant in the world. In fact, this facility has become so swamped by global demand for X models, that our own factory in Rosslyn had to switch over to X3 production to help ease the load.

Back to the evil twin, there might be very little to tell the new X4 apart from the X3 from the front angle, but it's a whole new ballgame at the other end, where it flaunts slim 3D-style taillights and a smooth new tailgate, with the number plate moving down to the bumper. As before, a coupe-inspired sloping roofline gives the vehicle a hunkered down, ready to pounce kind of stance (although it still boasts a fairly useful ground clearance of 204mm), something further reinforced by the 37mm increase in width and muscular new haunches.

Talking dimensions, second-gen X4 is 81mm longer than its predecessor, with 54mm going into the wheelbase to improve legroom. Average sized humans will be quite comfy back there although that sloping roof will make taller folk crouch. The 525 litre boot is surprisingly useful too, bearing in mind that it's vast but shallow. Yet perhaps the X4’s biggest design brag is its weight-loss, of up to 50kg depending on model, through more liberal use of aluminium and high-strength steels.

That of course makes lighter work for the turbocharged engines, of which four xDrive models will be offered to South African consumers in the form of four-cylinder 20i and 20d and the six-cylinder M40i, all arriving this September, with the M40d hitting our shores in early 2019 (see prices below).

Needless to say, all X4s offer the safety net of xDrive permanent all-wheel-drive as standard, as well as eight-speed automatic transmission, with the ‘40’ models receiving the 'Sport' version thereof, as well as launch control.

The 20i petrol derivative is good for 135kW, 290Nm and an 8.3 second 0-100km/h sprint, says BMW, while the 20d oil burner is credited with 140kW, 400Nm and an 8.0 second acceleration time.

BMW SA is skipping right over the 25d, 30d and 30i versions due to a lack of demand for middle models, meaning the next rungs of the ladder are the M Performance six-cylinder cars, which also get various design and chassis tweaks.

The M40i petrol model generates 265kW and 500Nm, while the M40d pushes 240kW and 680Nm, with respective zero to 100 times of 4.8 and 4.9 seconds. The M40d was the only locally-relevant model available to test drive at the US launch venue, and it proved to be an absolute cracker of an engine, with mountains of instantaneous torque offering meaty acceleration and overtaking ability, while also lifting the mood with a deep, bellowing soundtrack.

The xDrive has a rearward torque distribution bias in all versions of the X4, while M Sport suspension and variable ratio steering are also part of the deal. In addition, the M40i and M40d receive an M Sport differential, as well as M Sport braking and 20-inch alloys with mixed tyres.

Our launch route included some twisty sections where the X4's sense of agility impressed. The suspension is firmer than the X3's, but it proved comfortable enough on the route, although the jury's still out on how it copes with rougher roads.

Back at BMW's Performance Centre near the factory in Spartanburg, we got to throw the M40d around a tight circuit in three different chassis modes.

In the first runs, with the standard traction control left to do its thing, the X4 felt stymied and understeered a fair amount, but this is still the ideal setting for safeguarding against hazards in everyday driving conditions. Next up we tried it with BMW's Dynamic Traction Control (DTC) dialled in, and it immediately felt sharper, better balanced and able to tackle corners at higher speeds, while completely deactivating the traction control for the last few runs allowed some oversteer, but without making the vehicle too tail-happy.

It’s debatable whether these dynamic abilities really mean much to the average target customer, yet those who appreciate the BMWs of yore will no doubt find this an easier transition to the crossover market than most rivals. Those wanting to adapt the chassis characteristics can opt for Adaptive Suspension with adjustable dampers, or the M-tuned version thereof in the case of M40i and M40d.

The '40' models further flaunt their brute status through unique interior and cabin styling features, including 20-inch alloy wheels, Cerium Grey exterior trim, sports seats and M badging, but the regular '20' derivatives can also be livened up through one of three optional trim grades: xLine, M Sport X and M Sport, each featuring distinctive design touches and 19-inch rims (standard X4s roll on 18" alloys).

The xLine models, for instance, come with Glacier Silver metallic exterior trim, and a combination of gloss black and pearl-effect chrome trim in the cabin, which also receives sports seats upholstered in a cloth and leather combo. The M Sport X switches over to Frozen Grey external accents and the cabin gets Aluminium and pearl-effect chrome garnishes along with an M specific steering wheel. The M Sport is the most racy of the trims, featuring high-gloss black treatment on the outside.

Want to stand out even more? Look no further than BMW's 'Individual' catalog.

The X4's cabin is largely borrowed from the X3 and also features the latest-generation iDrive command centre. A 16.5cm screen is standard, while the optional 26cm Navigation System Professional gives you touchscreen functionality and a tile-style layout. A new generation Head-Up display, boasting a vastly expanded projection area, is also on the options list, along with a multi-mode digital instrument cluster and a whole range of driver aids, including Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go, the Driving Assistant Plus pack with steering assistance, Parking Assistant Plus (including vertical parking help) and BMW's digital Display Key.

BMW X4 PRICES

X4 xDrive20iR843 000
X4 xDrive20dR843 000
X4 M40iR1 132 800
X4 M40dTBC

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/latest-launches/driven-bmws-brawny-new-sa-bound-x4-15734252

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Cars.co.za launch review

[video=youtube_share;BO-rDvuDoJI]https://youtu.be/BO-rDvuDoJI[/video]