• You are losing out on amazing benefits because you are not a member. Join for free. Register now.
  • Big Two-Day Giveaway - Win an Amazon Kindle, a Mystery Gadget and Branded Gear. Enter Here.
  • Test your broadband speed and win prizes worth R5,000. Enter here.

2019 BMW Z4 (G29)

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW Z4’s mesh grille to roll out to other models

The lead exterior designer for the new BMW Z4 has revealed that the fresh-faced roadster’s mesh kidney grille will roll out to other models in the Munich-based automaker’s range.

Speaking to Autocar, Calvin Luk said that the new Z4 and the recently revealed 8 Series coupé were the first models created under BMW’s latest design language.

“The new design language on this and the 8 Series is about minimising line work. The philosophy is a couple of major lines coupled with softer lines,” Luk said.

The reinterpreted kidney grille features a mesh design on the Z4, something that Luk said would make its way onto other future BMW models.

“It has the vertical bars of the BMW motif, but in a mesh form of mini aeroplanes. It’s reminiscent of the 328 Mille Miglia race car,” Luk told the British publication.

Luk furthermore pointed out that both the wheelbase and the bonnet of the new model were shorter than those of its predecessor.

“The wheelbase is slightly shorter, but we’ve brought the driver forward a little to bring the focus back to him/her. Before, the hood was a bit too long. It’s still a long bonnet, which identifies it as a BMW roadster, but it’s a little shorter than before.”

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/new-bmw-z4s-mesh-grille-roll-models/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW Z4 M40i Laps Nurburgring Quicker Than The M2

BMW would not bring back the Z4 if it didn’t pack some sporting credentials and a new video from Sport Auto proves it is a proper sports car.

The German publication’s test driver, Christian Gebhardt, takes it to the famed Nurburgring Nordschleife where the car set a lap time of 7:55.41.

How does it stack up against other small and nimble cars like the much loved M2? Well the BMW Z4 M40i recorded a lap time six seconds faster than Gebhardt’s own in the first M2. That’s right, the little soft-top convertible roadster with less power was six seconds faster ’round the ‘Ring than the M2.

In the video, the Z4 M40i looks good. It looks sharp and accurate and he even gets twitchy with it at some points, like a proper track car. It seems to really respond to his inputs.

Since the Nurburgring is in Germany, the Z4 M40i was putting out 340 hp (254 kW) which is a fair bit down on the U.S. versions (382 hp; 285 kW). Sadly the stricter emissions regulations in Europe robs it of some power so with full output it would probably shave a couple more seconds off.

https://www.zero2turbo.com/2018/09/new-bmw-z4-m40i-laps-nurburgring-quicker-than-the-m2.html

FiestaST

Honorary Master
There Won't Be a 2019 BMW Z4 M and That's Bullshit

Here we are, in a day and age where BMW has brought back the 8 Series and co-developed the new 2019 BMW Z4 roadster alongside the damn Toyota Supra revival, which sounds like an 18 year-old’s fever dream circa 2012. It’s too bad BMW is going to ruin it.

According to Klaus Fröhlich, BMW’s head of research and development, via Road & Track, there are zero plans to introduce a Z4 M anytime soon, abandoning a chance to immediately one-up the Supra with which the Z4 was codeveloped and tossing out a chance to continue one of the brand’s weirder niche legacies.

Here’s the quote from Road & Track:

“At the moment this segment is very small, and I had to fight hard to make the [new Z4] happen at all, honestly,” Fröhlich said. “It was against the finance controllers.
“But you should drive it. It is sensational,” he assured us.
Based on early impressions of Z4 prototypes from those lucky to get a chance behind the wheel, it seems like Fröhlich isn’t lying. And with our colleagues at Car and Driver reporting that the Z4 M40i should make around 380 horsepower in the US, we might not need a full-on M version.​
I’m calling bullshit on that decision-making process. Listen—if if was so hard to get anybody to approve of the Z4 at all, if you’re going to go and do it, why not go all of the way? You’ve done all of the hard work, now get crazy with it! I want a Z4 M, or a Z4 M coupe!

Maybe there’s some odd complication with the development of the car and the near-380 horsepower 3.0-liter turbo inline six engine in the M40i is the best they can do. But come on, you can’t even tune that a little harder?

And just to add insult to injury, Fröhlich said he’s open to offering a manual, but there isn’t any demand for it, making it seem like it’s more than likely never happening either.

Toyota doesn’t seem to want to hold the Supra back, so why should BMW? What is there to lose? (OK, besides some money.)

https://jalopnik.com/there-wont-be-a-2019-bmw-z4-m-and-thats-bullshit-1829119988

FiestaST

Honorary Master
Here’s why BMW says it won’t be building a full-blown Z4 M

A high-ranking BMW executive has revealed why we shouldn’t expect to see a full-blown Z4 M any time soon, explaining that a shrinking market for sports cars meant he had to fight hard to make the Z4 a reality at all.

Speaking to Road and Track, Klaus Fröhlich, who is the member of the BMW Group’s board of management responsible for development, confirmed the hottest model in the new Z4 roadster range would be the M40i derivative.

“At the moment, this segment is very small, and I had to fight hard to make the [new Z4] happen at all, honestly,” Frohlich told the US publication.

“It was against the finance controllers. But you should drive it. It is sensational,” he added.

Fröhlich also hinted that the Z4 – which was developed alongside in the new Toyota Supra – would for the foreseeable future be offered exclusively with a ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission rather than a manual gearbox, thanks again to a lack of demand for the latter.

Revealed in August 2018 at Pebble Beach, the two-seater Z4 M40i is powered by the Munich-based brand’s turbocharged 3,0-litre straight-six petrol engine, which boasts a peak power output of 250 kW. Expect the new model to arrive in South Africa in the first quarter of 2019.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/heres-why-bmw-says-it-wont-be-building-a-full-blown-z4-m/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New BMW Z4: full range (including engine options) detailed

When the new BMW Z4 was revealed at Pebble Beach in August 2018, it was presented in flagship M40i guise only. Now, ahead of the roadster’s appearance at the Paris Motor Show, the Bavarian brand has detailed the rest of the range, plus offered additional details.

When it hits initial markets in March 2019, the Z4 will be offered with a choice of three powertrains. The Z4 sDrive20i will serve as the base model, powered by a turbocharged 2,0-litre four-cylinder unit producing 145 kW and 320 N.m. BMW says this derivative will hit 100 km/h from standstill in 6,6 seconds, before topping out at 240 km/h.

Next up is the Z4 sDrive30i, which uses the same four-pot but tuned to deliver 190 kW and 400 N.m, enough for a claimed 0-100 km/h time of 5,4 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h.

The range-topper is the Z4 M40i, with its turbocharged 3,0-litre inline six-cylinder developing 250 kW and 500 N.m. The M Performance variant needs 4,5 seconds (interestingly, one-tenth quicker than the brand suggested at the M40i’s reveal) to reach three figures and tops out at 250 km/h. All three derivatives employ an eight-speed automatic transmission.

The Munich-based firm has also released the new two-seater roadster’s exterior measurements: it’s 4 324 mm long, 1 864 mm wide and 1 304 mm tall, with a wheelbase of 2 470 mm.

The folding soft-top, meanwhile, is electrically operated and can be opened or closed in ten seconds, up to speeds of 50 km/h. The roof comes in black as standard or anthracite with silver accents as an option. Luggage capacity is 281 litres whether the soft-top is open or closed.

The flagship M40i features adaptive M Sport suspension, M Sport brakes and an electronically controlled M Sport differential as standard, along with 18-inch alloys (the sDrive20i and sDrive30i ship standard on 17s).

The new Z4 is expected to arrive in South Africa in the first quarter of 2019. BMW has already suggested that we won’t be seeing a full-blown M version of the Z4 any time soon…

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/new-bmw-z4-full-range-including-engine-options-detailed/

FiestaST

Honorary Master
BMW details new Z4 range with perkier 4-cyl models

When the new Z4 was unveiled a month back, BMW was only prepared to speak about the range-topping M40i version, but now the boys in Bavaria have spilled the beans on the entire range - which actually only consists of three models for now.

To that end, the sDrive20i and sDrive30i flesh out the lower end of the range, both featuring an updated version of BMW’s 2-litre turbopetrol engine, in which the direct fuel injection system’s maximum pressure has been increased to 350 bar.

Both variants boast 10kW more power than their predecessors, the 20i rated at 145kW and 320Nm, and the 30i upping the ante to 190kW and 400Nm. BMW claims respective 0-100km/h sprint times of 6.6 and 5.4 seconds for the two models, and top speeds of 240 and 250km/h.

To recap, the M40i gets a 250kW/500Nm version of the company’s brawny 3-litre straight six, and can reportedly run to 100 in 4.5 seconds.

Those seeking to swop cogs the traditional way (albeit a small minority these days) will be disappointed however as the new Z4 is only available with an eight-speed automatic transmission.

Power still goes the back wheels the good old fashioned way however, and dynamics have been further honed through a newly designed double-joint spring strut axle at the front and a five-link rear axle.

The M40i takes things further like only the performance division can, with standard M Sport suspension with electronically controlled dampers, M Sport differential and M Sport brakes.

The M40i rides on 18-inch alloys (19” rims are an option), while the four-cylinder models get 17-inch wheels.

New optional gadgets include LED headlights with ‘matrix’ high beam function, new-generation Head-Up Display, BMW Digital Key, ambient lighting, the latest Live Cockpit Professional infotainment system and Connected Navigation with new digital services.

Collision and Pedestrian Warning with auto-braking is fitted as standard along with Lane Departure Warning, while optional driver aids include Active Cruise Control with Stop & Go and Cross Traffic Alert.

Another sensible fact is that the Z4’s boot capacity has been increased by over 50 percent to 281 litres - even when the fabric top is in its hiding place.

The new Z4 is set to reach South Africa during the first half of 2019.

https://www.iol.co.za/motoring/late...w-z4-range-with-perkier-4-cyl-models-17141753

FiestaST

Honorary Master
South Africa to miss out on one BMW Z4 engine derivative

BMW recently revealed that the new Z4 roadster will be offered with a choice of three powertrains. But now the Munich-based brand’s local arm has confirmed one of these engine derivatives will not be available in South Africa.

While the new Z4 range in many markets will comprise the base Z4 sDrive20i, flagship M40i and mid-tier sDrive30i, South Africa will miss out on the latter when the Z4 arrives in the first quarter of 2019.

For the record, the sDrive30i employs a turbocharged 2,0-litre four-cylinder petrol engine tuned to deliver 190 kW and 400 N.m, which BMW says is enough for a claimed 0-100 km/h time of 5,4 seconds and a top speed of 250 km/h.

BMW SA’s decision not to offer this particular model appears to be part of a larger strategy being applied across its range, where seemingly slow-selling mid-tier derivatives such as the 125i, 230i, 430i and X1 xDrive25i have recently fallen away.

In addition, the local line-up for the new X5 will comprise only the entry-level xDrive30d and the flagship (for now, at least) X5 M50d, with no mid-range models (such as the xDrive40i) on the cards.

http://www.carmag.co.za/news/south-africa-miss-one-bmw-z4-engine-derivative/