2019 JHB Weekend 'Getaway' Thread

Steamy Tom

Hi All,

I have been a lurker her for sometime and thought what the heck let me register and ask a question of my own for a change.

I think this thread could evolve into a bit more than just a simple give me a destination kind of thing, and perhaps become an ideas to do kind of thing. Also I realize hundreds of these kinds of threads have been created in various forums over the time, i was just hoping to get a fresh perspective.

So, all that said, if you lived in Jhb, and really just wanted to get away with the SO for a weekend (1 night kind of thing) to just do something different and escape home chores and the same old same old, what would you suggest?

I think things to keep in mind are budget, time and distance. So in other words I for example cannot afford a R5000 a night accommodation at some insane place, similarly I dont know about you, but i would prefer not to drive for a sum of like 8 hours only to be away for say 24 hours etc.

edit: i should probably mention, i'm more the self catering kind of person, would prefer something pretty private and somewhere with things to do or see would be great.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

Locations to visit:
Dullstroom
Bela Bela
Muldersdrift
Parys
Clarens
Loskop Dam

Good accomodation sites:
Safarinow
Airbnb

Last edited:

Steamy Tom

So....current contender is probably dullstroom, any advice on places to stay or things to do?

Other potential contenders are

Muldersdrift
Parys

Snyper564

Expert Member
Highly recommend using safarinow to locate places. Those reviews are brutal so you know you can trust them for the most part.

APoc184

Honorary Master
/subscribe.

We are doing a weekend away with a bunch of friends the first weekend in March.

Going to Weesgerus. Never been but we are going there because one of our friends is in Police Intelligence and gets nice discount there.

BTW. We are actually more camping orientated (See Camping thread) but doing the self catering thing with friends and kids this time round.

3WA

Expert Member
Clarens and Golden Gate are striking distance of Joburg.

Loskop Dam. Also lots of game farms and adventure tourism between Loskop Dam and Middelburg.

Waterval Boven if you want to start climbing.

Steamy Tom

/subscribe.

We are doing a weekend away with a bunch of friends the first weekend in March.

Going to Weesgerus. Never been but we are going there because one of our friends is in Police Intelligence and gets nice discount there.

BTW. We are actually more camping orientated (See Camping thread) but doing the self catering thing with friends and kids this time round.
I enjoy camping as well, but it can be a schlep for a night away, and it also isn't near as affordable as it used to be if you don't go away frequently, i.e with regards to cost of equipment etc.

Steamy Tom

@Steamy Tom please change your thread title to include JHB.
hmm cool will do, I was kinda thinking more to evolve into general ideas, but i suppsoe location does make sense.

Like sometimes you cant get away because of time/money/effort etc but you can "getaway" maybe by doing something different, so like suggestions for say a market to visit, a great place to eat at like a brewery, day trips, adventure type stuff etc

Snyper564

Expert Member
Just a hint :) Some places have minimum numbers so we stayed at Marloth park in a massive 12 person accommodation and only paid R400 a night as it was R200 a person!

powermzii

Expert Member
So....current contender is probably dullstroom, any advice on places to stay or things to do?

Other potential contenders are

Muldersdrift
Parys
Dullstroom is perfect for your current requirements (not too far (road getting there is decent)), has some really nice eateries and a great whiskey / gin tasting place if you are into that. Also its relatively chilled and you can walk around the town without much fear / disturbance. Oh they also have a craft brewery.

Stayed at Anglers court 3 times and haven't had a bad thing at all to say about it so check it out

Steamy Tom

its quite crazy but all the lower-mid level accommodation in various areas seems to be fairly booked up already, and here people are moaning about making it through Januworry, every nice place i find seems to be booked out O_O