2020 Mazda CX-30

REVIEW | Is Mazda's CX-30 naturally aspirated's last hurrah?

Everything has a turbo these days. And in many cases, I've bemoaned Mazda's lack of turbo power.

But in the latest iteration of the CX-30, Mazda has managed to do something only bespoke manufacturers have managed in the last few years – make naturally aspirated engines sexy.

You see, Mazda's CX-30 sits in an interesting segment. For all intents and purposes, it's a crossover hatch. A high-riding hatch-back. A hatch-back in hiking boots. At least, that's what I thought the last time I drove it.

But Mazda's engineers have fettled it a bit. Tweaked the gearing ratios. Tightened up the suspension. Re-mapped the engine.

So now, while the 2.0l still drills out 121kW and 210Nm of torque through its six-speed torque converter automatic, it feels a little more visceral.

Having the paddle shifters mounted on the steering column also means drivers can make the most of its free-revving motor.

You see, if you were to pit this against anything else in its size class, it'll be hands-down more fun to drive.

 
Top
Sign up to the MyBroadband newsletter
X