3 months on the Carnivore Diet

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I've been on this diet (Carnivore Diet) for the past 3 months and I thought I'd post about it here since it's been so life changing. I've lost just over 11kgs (101kg down to 89.5kg) and my IBD symptoms (inflammatory bowel disease...not to be confused with IBS) have gone from being a daily struggle to surfacing maybe once a week. I feel a lot more energetic in the mornings and I don't get food cravings like I used to.

I went to the doctor for a checkup. My LDL cholesterol is slightly higher which traditionally is thought of as bad but because my ratio of triglycerides to HDL cholesterol is low, the LDL particles are bigger and "fluffier" and are no risk. All in all the doctor says I'm in great shape and she was surprised by the cholesterol results.

EDIT: Some reading material for those interested http://lifecoversouthafrica.co.za/life-cover-quotes-south-africa/carnivore-diet.php

Last edited:

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I would've thought there'd be more interest in this since I've seen a number of diet threads on this forum over the years.

Neuk_

Expert Member
I am somewhat interested, not necessarily for myself but for my girlfriend, who suffers from some auto immune conditions like arthritis and psoriasis. I first heard of this diet and it's effects listening to podcasts with Dr Jordan Peterson and the effects it had not only for him but also his daughter. Please keep updating this thread.

4ftersh0ck

I would've thought there'd be more interest in this since I've seen a number of diet threads on this forum over the years.
I love meat but I could not see myself only eating meat..I love vegetables and salad too much. Good luck with your diet

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
SO tried a keto diet a few years back. It worked well for a time but eventually even I got sick of looking at meat :oops:

unskinnybob

Expert Member
SO tried a keto diet a few years back. It worked well for a time but eventually even I got sick of looking at meat :oops:
Why would you get tired of meat on a ketogenic diet? Plenty other protein and fat sources than meat.

3WA

Executive Member
How did your grocery bill change? Did eating less balance out eating pricey?

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
I don't know what kind of meat you eat, but I ate a lot of meat this year and my cholesterol skyrocketed. A couple of days ago it was sitting at 7.9. I'm cutting down heavily at the moment.

WAslayer

Expert Member
I am also curious to know if your grocery bill increased or stayed the same.. meat is generally more expensive than veggies, but on the other hand, you tend to buy more veggies than you do meat.. in our case anyway..

C4Cat

Executive Member
I've been on this diet (Carnivore Diet) for the past 3 months and I thought I'd post about it here since it's been so life changing. I've lost just over 11kgs (101kg down to 89.5kg) and my IBD symptoms (inflammatory bowel disease...not to be confused with IBS) have gone from being a daily struggle to surfacing maybe once a week. I feel a lot more energetic in the mornings and I don't get food cravings like I used to.

I went to the doctor for a checkup. My LDL cholesterol is slightly higher which traditionally is thought of as bad but because my ratio of triglycerides to HDL cholesterol is low, the LDL particles are bigger and "fluffier" and are no risk. All in all the doctor says I'm in great shape and she was surprised by the cholesterol results.

EDIT: Some reading material for those interested http://lifecoversouthafrica.co.za/life-cover-quotes-south-africa/carnivore-diet.php
Did you have any negative symptoms when changing to this diet? Did you just change one day or did you gradually increase your meat intake over time? Do you only eat meat and nothing else? Do you drink anything other than water?

Venom Rush

Expert Member
How did your grocery bill change? Did eating less balance out eating pricey?
I'd say it's about the same, maybe a little cheaper. It all depends on what meats I buy. Chicken and pork are fairly cheap. Beef and lamb are pretty pricey. You just have to be smart about it. The past month I spent less than I've spent on a normal diet.

Reactions: 3WA

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I don't know what kind of meat you eat, but I ate a lot of meat this year and my cholesterol skyrocketed. A couple of days ago it was sitting at 7.9. I'm cutting down heavily at the moment.
Did you fast before getting your cholesterol tested? You need to do so for 12 hours before getting your cholesterol tested otherwise it won't be accurate.

Venom Rush

Expert Member
I am also curious to know if your grocery bill increased or stayed the same.. meat is generally more expensive than veggies, but on the other hand, you tend to buy more veggies than you do meat.. in our case anyway..
As I mentioned above, it's relatively the same...depends purely on what meat selection I decide to buy.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
What else did you eat though? Carbs are what pump your cholesterol up

Gameface777

Maybe something on the cholesterol that i have heard is to drink a teaspoon of honey and cinnamon daily which brings your levels back on track