4-year-old dies after tooth is extracted

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-04-24-4-year-old-dies-after-tooth-is-extracted/

A four-year-old girl went to a public clinic to get her rotten tooth removed and ended up dead.

An X-ray done after Sinenhlahla experienced breathing problems showed that a tooth was blocking her airway.

The incident is being investigated by the Gauteng health department after her family laid a complaint against the dentist at the Esangweni Community Health Centre in Tembisa on the East Rand.

Yesterday, Sinenhlahla's mother Thembisile Mabaso shed tears as her husband Nhlanhla Mabaso related the harrowing events that preceded their daughter's death.

Sinenhlanhla had been booked to get her tooth extracted at the clinic on April 16.

"That morning, she was energetic and chatty as always. She was excited about getting a new toothbrush after visiting the dentist," Mabaso said.

He said upon arrival at the clinic, they waited in a long queue before seeing a dentist.

Mabaso said Sinenhlanhla started experiencing breathing problems while the procedure was being conducted. "She was restless and kicking. I thought she was having a fit."

He said staff at the clinic tried to assist her with an oxygen machine but her condition was not improving.
Mabaso said they thought she was reacting to the anaesthetic she had been given.

reactor_sa

Executive Member
The public healthcare system is a death trap. My gardener died because they clinic kept giving him painkillers for his diabetes, it was a needless death that could easily have been avoided.

Don't think for a second NHI the ANC wants to implement will change that, there simply isn't enough money or doctors.

Last edited:
The public healthcare system is a death trap. My gardener died because they clinic kept giving me painkillers for his diabetes, it was a needless death that could easily have been avoided.

Don't think for a second NHI the ANC wants to implement will change that, there simply isn't enough money or doctors.
Why would they give you painkillers for his diabetes?
Did you kill him and numb yourself at night with those painkillers?

Steamy Tom

Expert Member
The public healthcare system is a death trap. My gardener died because they clinic kept giving me painkillers for his diabetes, it was a needless death that could easily have been avoided.

There is enough money, and there could be enough doctors