4k over ethernet...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Going to try keep this simple. Not sure if this is even the right sub-forum.

Current Situation:

I have a HD projector (Optoma HD20) - I'm trying to keep it going as long as I can (new kid, watching budget) - various things have failed and been fixed.
  1. Projector from amplifier is about 15m.
  2. Two 20mm conduits
    1. Conduit 1 - two thick rear speaker cables - two CAT5e cables which go to projector (7m each)
    2. Conduit 2 - one CAT5e for data (used to have +3 coax DSTV cables)
First HDMI over ethernet extender ran over the two CAT5e cables - lasted about a year - died (wasn't stable).

Second HDMI over ethernet extender ran over a single CAT5e cable - lasted for about 8 years. (75% stable). Died two weeks ago.

----

New Situation:

So - I'd like to start getting ready for 4k - I bought a 4k HDMI ethernet extender - meant runs over a single CAT5e/CAT6 cable.

I installed it this week - but - very unstable - right now - its not working, I'm about 60% sure its the CAT5e cable, if I swop between the two, one doesn't work at all - one works sometimes, othertimes it gives an old "MNET" like static encrypted picture.

Solution:

Now - does anyone have experience with these extenders, 4k, HDMI and ethernet?

I'm thinking of skipping CAT6, and buying this CAT7 cable - hoping it resolve my issues - and be ready for 4k video in a year or so? I also need to try and run it up the conduit with the existing "data" CAT5e cable.

I don't really feeling like buying the cable and crimping it myself - the roof is a complete nightmare, flat roof, 40-60cm crawl space, a crap ton of wiring feeding downlights, plugs, plumbing, etc... I'd like to go up there once more and fix this for good. (I'm big - this roof isn't compatible with my acrobatics)

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Buy a small piece of the cable you want to install.

Test it first.
See if the issues are resolved, if not, troubleshoot further.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
I do believe what you want is a very expensive fibre based HDMI cable for what you want to achieve and don’t have much else in the way of choice.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Buy a small piece of the cable you want to install.

Test it first.
See if the issues are resolved, if not, troubleshoot further.
Won't really help - the issue is already itermittent - and I think cable length plays an important part. (I initially tried with CAT5 before putting it in the roof, and everything was fine... then in the roof it was fine... and then not....and then it was...)

I do believe what you want is a very expensive fibre based HDMI cable for what you want to achieve and don’t have much else in the way of choice.
I've looked at that - the problem is getting it up the conduit, and through the roof without damaging the cable - the other issue is fitting the HDMI plug into the conduit.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
Will the cable length exceed 100 meters?
Are you sure the HDMI connector(s) are not to blame/faulty?

access

Honorary Master
have a friend that does this audio/visual stuff, says the cheap hdmi/cat converters are a waste of money.

also says hdmi cables cause problems a lot because they are not always what is specified.

you also get hdmi to fibre converters, cheap and expensive obviously...

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I already have the 4k ethernet extender...

So - I've ordered 15m CAT7, 0.6m HDMI 2 cable and a 1m HDMI 2 cable - if the extender still doesnt behave, I'll return it for a credit - I can still use the cabling.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I already have the 4k ethernet extender...

So - I've ordered 15m CAT7, 0.6m HDMI 2 cable and a 1m HDMI 2 cable - if the extender still doesnt behave, I'll return it for a credit - I can still use the cabling.
Installed last night.... was a little easier than I hoped - CAT7 cable pushed up the conduit, before I know it it hit the roofing (I actually still needed to run it along the skirting board - but - since it was out the conduit, it wasn't coming back).

I ordered a long enough cable so that the extenders on either side are no longer hidden - if I have to replace them - its easy, previously they were well hidden, or in the roof, and a mission to get to.

So far - everything is working 1080p - I guess we'll see if I ever go to 4k. If the 1080p stops working, I'll look at an importing a decent extender. (as always, it'll be cheaper than a local "cheap" extender)

xrapidx

Honorary Master
So much for that - logged a return - the extender works, but if resolution changes - everything goes haywire - only way to return order is turning off the amp and projector - and turning back on again.

IMG_20200605_191839.jpg

SAguy

Expert Member
Honestly HDMI has been one of the biggest pains, from challenges of extending, to price of things like proper matrix switches and all these handshaking issues.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Honestly HDMI has been one of the biggest pains, from challenges of extending, to price of things like proper matrix switches and all these handshaking issues.
Annoying as hell - pretty sure my above issue is HDCP related.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Why not just buy a 15m HDMI cable, if you get one capable of 18gb/s you're going to be okay? I wouldn't get one below that for 15m, you cannot slide the front off the conduit?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Why not just buy a 15m HDMI cable, if you get one capable of 18gb/s you're going to be okay? I wouldn't get one below that for 15m, you cannot slide the front off the conduit?
HDMI plug does not fit in a 20mm conduit? I've tried about six different cables I have at home.

Lupus

Honorary Master
HDMI plug does not fit in a 20mm conduit?
Frak, what about mini HDMI with converters? I've got really thin conduit that I squeezed HDMI through but it was only 2 meters, but I did it first than followed by other cables, now my ethernet cable doesn't fit.

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Frak, what about mini HDMI with converters? I've got really thin conduit that I squeezed HDMI through but it was only 2 meters, but I did it first than followed by other cables, now my ethernet cable doesn't fit.
I've tried looking for a 4k 15m cable - but - not finding much.