5 popular Linux distros

MickZA

Executive Member
Fedora is a Red Hat-sponsored, but community-driven project which has grown in popularity with a strong user base since its inception in 2003. Fedora is praised for being highly innovative, having outstanding security features and a large number of supported packages. Certain criticisms pinpoint the lack of desktop usability.

:wtf: I'd be the first to admit that the early Fedora desktops were not the best gnome implementations I've seen but from Fedora 12 on things have improved dramatically and Fedora 16 & 17 Gnome 3 beats Unity hands down.

Edit: current F17 desktop http://imgur.com/iW7gS.png

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Still can't come to terms with the Debian name.

Somehow it just doesn't feel right if your OS name is short for Debra and Ian. :D

twhitehead

What seems to have been ignored is that Linux is used as both a server operating system and a desktop operating system and these two uses are quite different in their requirements.

MickZA

Executive Member
Ummm...Mick....your desktop needs a bit of color. Looks like Windows 95. :(

No other color schemes you can play with?

Not into colors - just need plenty of easily accessible static workspaces and programs, try doing that with Unity :)

edit: Windows 95, I remember it well - something subliminal maybe :D

Last edited:
K

kingrob

Not into colors - just need plenty of easily accessible static workspaces and programs, try doing that with Unity :)

Don't get me started on Unity....the one single thing that made Ubuntu go from the darling to the outcast of Linux distros.

Canonical should have given the user a choice, instead of forcing it down their throats.

Pada

Executive Member
can ics be done on fedora...I currently share my 3G through windows 7
Yes, of course it can be done! Many routers are based on Linux.

You just need to enable IPv4 forwarding: http://www.ducea.com/2006/08/01/how-to-enable-ip-forwarding-in-linux/

And then perhaps modify the NAT rule for the 3G.

Lastly, you'll need to point your other machine's primary DNS server to a working DNS server address. You can always set the secondary one to Google DNS: 8.8.8.8

I hate Fedora's desktop and Ubuntu's Unity. At least both of those distro's are better than OSX.
When I use Ubuntu, I use Gnome, which is quite a mission to get working.

ponder

Honorary Master
Ummm...Mick....your desktop needs a bit of color. Looks like Windows 95. :(

No other color schemes you can play with?

I'm not one for the fisher price look either. If you think his desktop needs colour then check out mine,

CLick on image for large version.

w1z4rd

Karmic Sangoma
I think I would stick my head in an oven if I had to look as some of these desktops for too long :D