5G Viable for gaming?

Scorpion101

Drifting from topic but Just spoke to RAIN tech guy (great service so far) and seems my signal strength is poor. Anything over -90 on RSRP is poor.They are escalating to see what can be done.

5G RSRQ -15.0dB
5G RSRP -117dBm
5G SINR 0dB
Just out of curiosity what is your download and upload speeds ?

cavedog

Honorary Master
Drifting from topic but Just spoke to RAIN tech guy (great service so far) and seems my signal strength is poor. Anything over -90 on RSRP is poor.They are escalating to see what can be done.

5G RSRQ -15.0dB
5G RSRP -117dBm
5G SINR 0dB

Well let's look at stats relative to tower distance, line of sight and speed.

30m from the tower. Clear line of sight 680Mbpsdownload, 65Mbps upload. Below is the signal stats.

950m from the closest tower as the crow fly. No line of sight at all with lots of trees. This is where I'm using it now at home. 320Mbps-420Mbps download and 10-20Mbps upload. Signal stats below

So looks like SINR is maxing at 16dBm no matter how close you are to the tower. 5G RSRP which is indicative of distance and obviously obstacles best you can get right next to the tower is -64dBm

Last edited:

cavedog

Honorary Master
Guys I can confirm using an external antenna does not help the signal. I connected the Poynting antenna to the modem and as everyone had mentioned the antenna only makes the signal worse. The signal strength dropped from 4 bars to 3 bars. I tried the antenna in various directions but the results were dismal to say the least. The unit has been packed away and ready to be returned on Monday.
Yeah the external just does not work. 5G signal drops immediately if not completely and if it still stays connected there is no internet connection at all or speeds are below 1Mbps.

The issue is not with the antenna but rather the CPE. It just does not support 4x4 mimo external. IF they had 4 ports at the back or allowed split mimo external and internal it would have been decent but seems like it just does not.

cavedog

Honorary Master
My average so far around 68 down 2 up.
Very disappointing insist on an external unit if you can. I think you will be amazed at the difference in speed if you are able to mount it at the highest point against house.

cavedog

Honorary Master
Paladins PC EU Server. Afrihost does not do EU routing that well so Rain 5G using WIOCC for transit is just better than Afrihost Fibre.

Afrihost Fibre

Rain 5G

Raven007140

I noticed Rain has excellent routing.

On COD: Modern Warfare on Rain I get 189 ping to certain servers, if I switch to my WebAfrica ADSL I go up to 400ms when reconnecting. So either WA has terrible routing, or Rain uses black magic.

TechnoChicken

I noticed Rain has excellent routing.

On COD: Modern Warfare on Rain I get 189 ping to certain servers, if I switch to my WebAfrica ADSL I go up to 400ms when reconnecting. So either WA has terrible routing, or Rain uses black magic.

Out of Curiosity, are you only queuing for Ground War seeing that you are getting 189 ping?