A calendar months notice

killerbyte

Expert Member
Today is the 2nd of December (the first working day of the month) and I handed in my letter of resignation (got an offer I simply cannot resist).
So if one gives notice on the 2nd of December with the intention of leaving on the 10th of Jan 2010, is that considered a calendar month's notice? Or does my current employer have ground to ask me to stay till end of Jan 2020?

R13...

Honorary Master
Technically you should have resigned on Friday. But they might be reasonable and let you leave without penalty.

Steamy Tom

Executive Member
Technically I think you need to stay until the end of Jan, realistically they should let you go, but it all depends. Either way prepare to work through December.

XFlorenceX

Technically a calendar month is a calendar month. However, if your current company closes through or for a time period December, you will have a problem. The calendar month could be working days. Just clarify this first with HR before resigning. Each company works totally different.

^^vampire^^

Expert Member
Linky link - search for "what is a calendar month?"

Unless specifically stated that calendar month is from 1st to last day of month you could technically get away resigning on any day as long as a full calendar month is served (eg: 4 december to 4 january).

GhostSixFour

Username approved by US Airforce
I hope you stated this as your notice period to new employer. If you did, then this is a non-issue. :)

SaiyanZ

Executive Member
Since you handed in your resignation on the first working day of the month (Monday 2nd), it should be perfectly fine. You can always argue that the 1st or last day of previous month was on a weekend if your employer gives you grief.

Ancalagon

Honorary Master
If your current employer will be such an a$$ about it... well... you won't regret leaving.

SpiderGear

I'm in the same boat, but we get a 13th cheque in December. I'm pretty sure if I resign now I will not get it.
So I'm hanging around until January and then I'm resigning.

jezzad

Expert Member
Im in the same boat.

Contract says 2 calendar months notice. My assumption is if I pull the trigger on Monday which is the 15th Feb my last day will be 15th April

Pineapple Smurf

Pineapple Beer Connoisseur
no one knows what a calendar month is, too many variables

jezzad

Expert Member
no one knows what a calendar month is, too many variables

Yeah seems like it, read a couple of articles and unless its specified clearly it up for interpretation.

Nemus

Expert Member
Im in the same boat.

Contract says 2 calendar months notice. My assumption is if I pull the trigger on Monday which is the 15th Feb my last day will be 15th April
It's best to discuss with your manager or hr rep.. some companies will your specific notice to start on 1 March and conclude end April, allowing you to start work at the next place 3 May.