ABSA App no longer supporting a rooted device

Baxteen

Honorary Master
on start up this morning I got a message saying:

"Rooted device detected. Please note that the Absa App will not allow rooted devices in the next app update as the security of your data is important to us."

clearly the person making this call at ABSA has no idea what rooting is and what it involves. rooting your device is not something you do by installing an app and not realising your app is rooted. rooting is a conscious decision.

I chose to bank with absa. no one forced me.
I chose to root my phone, mtn forced me by taking forever to roll out updates for my phone.

I will not unroot to use the app, I will change bank to use my phone.

and yes I checked the FNB and Capitek apps, neither of them have any message about that.

anyone else get the message and feel this way?

Park@82

Honorary Master
2 other threads on this AFAIK. Have you tried to hide your root from it?

Baxteen

Honorary Master
appologies, could not find the other threads, its monday morning btw im not awake yet, try me again on wednesday.

could you link to the other threads? I really could not find them

deweyzeph

Executive Member
It's ironic because a non-rooted phone is actually a bigger security threat than a rooted phone.

Park@82

Honorary Master
The previous app is still working on my phone with root. Try to hide your root from it...

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
Yeah moved to fnb and moved to a phone that does not need root.

Wow, that must be the most laborious way possible of getting banking on your phone.

It still works? I was reading online that it doesn't work.

I can't comment on that claim without knowing more about why it failed for someone out there. The only way it should fail is if someone isn't rooted, in which case they shouldn't need it in the first place. Or if they're too thick to use the app properly and think everything is automatic. Apps that don't allow rooted users, such as Super Mario Run and some banking apps, use Google's SafetyNet check to determine if they should disable functionality. One of the main points of Magisk is to fool that check, and it worked just fine prior to me getting my current OnePlus 5 and not caring about being rooted anymore.

As mentioned, just take 2 minutes to test it yourself.

Baxteen

Honorary Master
Wow, that must be the most laborious way possible of getting banking on your phone.

thread created in 2014.
in late 2014 I updated to a new phone, and I did not root it (lg G4)

then the rumours of Barkleys pulling out of ABSA, and the ANC buying the share were running around.
I moved to FNB to get away from ABSA not because of the root issue.

leaving ABSA was the best thing ever.

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
thread created in 2014.
in late 2014 I updated to a new phone, and I did not root it (lg G4)

then the rumours of Barkleys pulling out of ABSA, and the ANC buying the share were running around.
I moved to FNB to get away from ABSA not because of the root issue.

leaving ABSA was the best thing ever.

Lol, don't worry I assumed as much. And yeah, ABSA the worst bank by miles imo. I'm also suspicious of how fraud stories in the news always seem to involve their customers.