Absa ends Sharks sponsorship

pope24

Expert Member
Lets hope the new sponsors remember that it is called Kings Park not the bla bla stadium. Even if it is bla bla kings park that will be fine.

davemc

Executive Member
What? You mean Sharks will have to revert back to relying on skill instead of buying players?
Oh noez!
Does this mean that EP Kings will be able to hang onto good players for a change, spoze not, Bulls will buy them.

I guess it actually means that we will be seeing less RED on our screens in the future, and that ABSA's need to overcharge on service fee's can be translated directly into more profit for them.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Every big union buys players .... god, the one-eyed crowd are really fscking dense.

Good riddance to ABSA ......

Creag

The Boar's Rock
Me happy! Whoop! Whoop! So maybe we could go back to Kings Park for a wee while? Or just call it "The Tank" :D

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It will be interesting to see what the KZNRU do now. Will they look to sell the naming rights again? If not, will they call it Kings Park again? I think that it will be an interesting example of sports marketing in SA. In the USA teams hate playing in stadiums which are linked to the name of another team.

Adrenalin

Expert Member
To be honest, we have the following teams:

VODACOM Blue Bulls
VODACOM Cheetas
VODACOM Western Province

Perhaps it will be Vodacom Kings Park :) sounds ok. At least they don't name everything after a dead politician/person that fought or he struggle etc fishpaste.

MickeyD

RIP
Times are tough and margins are being squeezed... time to review all sponsorships and trim those advertising budgets!

Maybe Vodacom and MTN are next? Spend less on advertising, marketing and sponsorships and more on giving us better service and products!!!

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan
What? You mean Sharks will have to revert back to relying on skill instead of buying players?
Oh noez!
Does this mean that EP Kings will be able to hang onto good players for a change, spoze not, Bulls will buy them.

I guess it actually means that we will be seeing less RED on our screens in the future, and that ABSA's need to overcharge on service fee's can be translated directly into more profit for them.

:wtf: What games have you been watching...

APoc184

Honorary Master
One of these days we will hear Hugh Bladen calling the game like this.

"Beyerskloof Schalk Burger gets the ball out wide to ABSA Gio Aplon and he scores the winning try as Sony JP Pietersen fails to make the tackle. MWEB Western Province wins the Vodacom Super 15."

Kornhole

Blackburn Fan

"Beyerskloof Schalk Burger gets the ball out wide to ABSA Gio Aplon and he scores the winning try as Sony JP Pietersen fails to make the tackle. MWEB Western Province wins the Vodacom Super 15."

:D

My dads company is thinking of sponsoring one of the small teams. :eek:

Alan

Honorary Master

:sick:

Creag

The Boar's Rock

VODACOM Blue Bulls
VODACOM Cheetas
VODACOM Western Province

Perhaps it will be Vodacom Kings Park :) sounds ok. At least they don't name everything after a dead politician/person that fought or he struggle etc fishpaste.

:sick: sorry, but why follow the sheep

cr@zydude

Executive Member

VODACOM Blue Bulls
VODACOM Cheetas
VODACOM Western Province

Vodacom actually sponser teams:

Super Rugby
Vodacom Bulls
Vodacom Cheetahs
Vodacom Stormers

Currie Cup
Vodacom Blue Bulls
Vodacom Free State Cheetahs
Vodacom Western Province.

I'm really not a fan of sponsers naming teams or stadiums, but it's a sad truth in pro sports.

Hope it never, ever goes there! The Tank has history and it's a superb venue for rugger.

Not that I want to go into this again, but Kings Park hasn't always been home to KZN rugby teams. They used to play at Kingsmead. I don't see Kings Park being closed until either after the Durban Olympics, or around 2030 or so, if SASCOC give up on an Olympic bid. Kings Park will be needed for the Olympics too.

Last edited: