Absa finds more customers affected by data leak

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Absa data leak — more customers affected

Absa has sent a notice to several new clients found to be affected by a November 2020 data leak, when a former employee gave people’s personal information to a platform that sold it to third parties.

The former Absa staff member behind the leak was a credit analyst who had access to risk modelling systems and sensitive client information.

ABSA: I cannot cancel a business credit card via registered company email or internet banking, I need to come in to cancel it.

Also ABSA: let's not deploy proper DLP policies for our credit controllers, They make us the big bucks.

And if they look harder, they'll probably find more.

And I've changed my response to the OP to an angry emoji, from my usual laughing face.

Take THAT Absa.

I received a posted letter, yes you read that correctly, printed, enveloped, stamped and snail-mail POSTED, that does the whole 419-scam of "we have money for you from a deceased relative". They have my name and postal address, all in the letter, correctly addressed.

These leaks are causing damage. But they are simply a modern scourge, we will never get away from it.

That explains the flood of spam/fake emails I have been getting from "ABSA" even though I closed all accounts with them 7 years ago.....

Africanacity: the distinctly African ability to always find ways to get things done.

I received an email that my data was leaked, but I've never had any business with ABSA? Could it possibly be from a vehicle finance or home loan application or something like that?

I closed my ABSA account in 2009 but received that e-mail yesterday. I wonder why they are retaining my data for years

I closed my ABSA account in 2009 but received that e-mail yesterday. I wonder why they are retaining my data for years

Financial systems need to retain data for N years for legal reason, in case a query ever comes up later (where N depends on the type)

Absa has sent a notice to several new clients found to be affected by a November 2020 data leak, when a former employee gave people’s personal information to a platform that sold it to third parties.

The former Absa staff member behind the leak was a credit analyst who had access to risk modelling systems and sensitive client information.
Our data was compromised by Absa and we had two notifications from Transunion yesterday to say that someone had tried to use my ID to apply for credit with MTN and Truworths. We managed to get hold of Truworths and they assured us that the application for credit was declined due to our ID number being registered with the South African Fraud Prevention Service due to a leak at Absa, who had taken the precaution on our behalf. That saved us a hassle right there.
You can go to the SAFPS website and list your ID number with them so that credit applications are blocked on your behalf. Also you can register with Transunion and turn on alerts to your mail whenever someone tries to apply for credit with your identity.
If you go to apply for credit yourself, you just have to contact SAFPS for a valid confirmation that it’s you. A hassle but definitely worth it in today’s world.

Our ABSA account was created +- 3 years ago and I received the SMS that Jan quoted.

Clearly the breach is much bigger than what ABSA is letting on and is willing to admit

In 2020 Ulrich Janse on behalf of ABSA stated :
The precise number of affected customers remains unconfirmed, but Absa has referred to it as a “small portion” of its client base.

@Jan - Can you get them to comment now about the number of affected customers as they clearly have more accurate data and the amount of affected clients is substantially more than they are telling us?

That explains the amount of "Absa" credit card scam calls I received today. They phoned me like 10 times, before giving up. (I don't answer these calls)

“We have to work through devices and identify what belongs to Absa,” said Janse van Rensburg.

“We are communicating with clients not because they are possible targets [of cyberattacks and fraud], but because of a decision we made in how we approach customer service,” he said.
Translation: all your personal informations are belong to ABSA and we does with it whats we likes. We only tells you because POPIA is now in effect and we were forced to, but don't worry we still don't care about customers and service.

I got an SMS on friday telling me that somebody had logged into my ABSA online banking. I had to suspend my account instantly. I think this is more than just one isolated data leak. Looks more like other bad elements still within ABSA are using this crisis to jump on the bandwagon.

Received today. Jokers.

"Following Absa’s announcement of an isolated data leak in November 2020, and a resultant independent forensic investigation, we have now identified more compromised data and are contacting impacted customers directly.

Unfortunately, this leak encompassed some of your personal information, including your identity and contact details. Proactive steps have been taken to protect impacted customers - consequently, we have secured the devices of all known, implicated, parties.

As part of heightened precautionary measures to protect your financial interests, you might receive a phone call from Absa to validate potentially suspicious transactions.

Fraudsters may pose as a representative of a bank, in their attempt to defraud you. Please do not disclose your online banking PIN, password, card CVV, PIN or one-time password to anybody, irrespective of the circumstances. Absa will never ask you to share these confidential details. If unsure, terminate the call and call our Fraud Hotline.

Furthermore, never approve a Mobile Banking application request or any other transaction request if you are not the one carrying out the transaction. We will never request you to approve the reversal of unauthorised debit orders, and have put in place measures to prevent and detect potential unauthorised debit orders.

As added protection against digital fraud, Absa also offers a free digital fraud warranty for customers making use of our mobile app.

Kindly contact our Fraud Hotline on 0860 557 557 if you notice any suspicious activities."

Our ABSA account was created +- 3 years ago and I received the SMS that Jan quoted.

Clearly the breach is much bigger than what ABSA is letting on and is willing to admit

In 2020 Ulrich Janse on behalf of ABSA stated :

@Jan - Can you get them to comment now about the number of affected customers as they clearly have more accurate data and the amount of affected clients is substantially more than they are telling us?
I think what happened was they cross referenced the leaked data with people who currently hold accounts, hence why certain people weren't notified. Someone may have had a light bulb moment and checked against anyone who's ever had an account or anyone who's ever made an application.

Back