Accident with Uninsured Driver

dyllindd

My mother was recently involved in an accident whereby a lady drove into the back of my mother's vehicle. When exchanging details it was found that the lady does not have car insurance. So how does this get handled in terms of compensation?

My mother's vehicle is a 2016 Mercedes Benz GLC 220d so suffice to say repair costs are going the be quite significant. Only reason we are seeking advice is because of the R10000 excess on the policy that needs to be paid and even though insurance companies state that they try and recover your excess, they hardly ever do.

Thanks guys. Your advice is much appreciated.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
My mother was recently involved in an accident whereby a lady drove into the back of my mother's vehicle. When exchanging details it was found that the lady does not have car insurance. So how does this get handled in terms of compensation?

My mother's vehicle is a 2016 Mercedes Benz GLC 220d so suffice to say repair costs are going the be quite significant. Only reason we are seeking advice is because of the R10000 excess on the policy that needs to be paid and even though insurance companies state that they try and recover your excess, they hardly ever do.

Let your insurer deal with it. Prepare to write off the excess. Then revisit your policies to have a more reasonable excess, for example, mine is zero.

Gazzacpt

Mt insurer only pays back the excess if they manage to recover the repair cost. Thats how my broker explained it. So the company will try and claim the expense from the uninsured party if they are at fault. In my experience kiss the excess goodbye. That is a a whack of an excess by the way. Did you opt for it to be so high to bring the monthly payment down?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Hand if over to insurance.

And next time think on this situation before accepting a R10k excess.

HibiscusTunes

Expert Member
I would expect that high excess to be on a car of 1mil+. But yeah, you can writeoff that excess.

dyllindd

Thanks guys. Excess amount wasn't my idea. I didn't handle the insurance application.

Pitbull

Verboten

Why do we still get requests like this on here in 2017?

Your mother has insurance, she must claim it from her insurer and let them deal with the other party. Whether or not the other party has insurance is irrelevant to your mother.