Activision plummets after outrage over Diablo mobile game

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator

Activision Blizzard Inc. shares were hammered as video gamers took to social media to criticize a new mobile game that they say failed to live up to the storied franchise.

The new “Diablo Immortal” mobile offering fell short of some fan expectations for the popular desktop games.

[Bloomberg]

Emjay

Executive Member
That's what happens when you have sales and marketing people driving game development.

World of Warcraft is also taking quite a beating.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master
The shareprice will recover and probably go above where it was from the announcement when the mobile game actually proves popular and makes Activision boatloads of money.

Temujin

Executive Member
This legend summed it up for the planet(not just immortal, but blizzcon 2018 imo, just a bunch of rehashing and reskinning of old ****)

Emjay

Executive Member
The shareprice will recover and probably go above where it was from the announcement when the mobile game actually proves popular and makes Activision boatloads of money.
They are a bunch of thieves.

https://venturebeat.com/2018/11/02/diablo-immortal-netease-reskin/

They take an old game, reskin it, and then sell it at AAA prices.

Personally, I really hope that it is a flop of note. When gaming dev houses get so large, they become a corporate beast that does not actually make games people love.

ToxicBunny

Honorary Master

Personally, I really hope that it is a flop of note. When gaming dev houses get so large, they become a corporate beast that does not actually make games people love.
I don't disagree, but Activision have had this tag for many years, and the shareprice and their profits keep going up and up...

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member

No one played the thing, yet they claim reskin? That's just silly. Sure, it will probably use the same game engine (oh, the humanity), but I doubt it will just be a reskin.

Also, how sure are you it won't be F2P?

Pitbull

Verboten
No one played the thing, yet they claim reskin? That's just silly. Sure, it will probably use the same game engine (oh, the humanity), but I doubt it will just be a reskin.

You are aware that you're talking about Blizzard here right? The same people who used old dungeons and maps, reanimated them and called it an expansion in Cataclysm :D

Emjay

Executive Member

Take a look at footage of each game before you make judgement. The UI and animations are almost identical.

It did cross my mind that it may be Free to Play, with some kind of pay to win model. I wouldn't be surprised as this is how many mobile games work.

Barbarian Conan

Expert Member
Take a look at footage of each game before you make judgement. The UI and animations are almost identical.

It did cross my mind that it may be Free to Play, with some kind of pay to win model. I wouldn't be surprised as this is how many mobile games work.
To me it looks very generic, pretty much the same as Diablo 3.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Such nice IP and all they can do is rehash - Starcraft remastered, Diablo remastered, Warcraft remastered......

Pitbull

Verboten
Mobile is the perfect platform to bring back auction houses.
I have 100% zero issues with incorporating Mobile phones with in game features like Auction houses, remote farming and the likes. But to take a full on Franchise and dumb it down to mobile... nea, I don't agree.

Temujin

Executive Member
Mobile is the perfect platform to bring back auction houses.
I think I'm one of the very view people around that never had a problem with rmah... I thought it was awesome, no time to play 100's of hours to get my loots to progress etc... awesome awesome addition... I was crushed when it got flushed

ekske1

Executive Member

Activision Blizzard Inc. shares were hammered as video gamers took to social media to criticize a new mobile game that they say failed to live up to the storied franchise.

The new “Diablo Immortal” mobile offering fell short of some fan expectations for the popular desktop games.

[Bloomberg]
You are missing the 6 month and 5 years.

1541509572712.png

1541509549489.png

From the 5 years picture they are still not doing "that bad" as this picture paints it

plummets? Hardly they are still going up and down within 60 - 80 range.