ADSL and fibre prices compared

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
Fibre versus ADSL — price showdown

Fibre to the home (FTTH) packages are generally cheaper than ADSL, with the latter only being more cost-effective for low-speed service in specific situations.

However, it should be noted that FTTH packages aimed at less affluent demographic — like Vuma Reach, Frogfoot Air, and Openserve Web Connect — are cheaper than Telkom's ADSL packages.

Before deciding whether fibre or ADSL better suits your needs, there are several aspects to consider other than price.
Forgot one - availability - I wonder how many people who have DSL also have fibre available in their area.

[x] I do not.

If fibre was available I'd drop DSL tomorrow.

Forgot one - availability - I wonder how many people who have DSL also have fibre available in their area.

[x] I do not.

If fibre was available I'd drop DSL tomorrow.
Same here, I have Just DSL 10mbps (fastest in my area) and not one fiber operator has plans to build here, although I live in a well populated area with mansions going up like mushrooms. I will switch to fiber in a heartbeat if it was available.

Reactions: Yuu
Poverty FTW!
Yes, even small towns have at least 1 fiber operator (Vuma or Herotel) with +- 250 homes. 500+ homes in highly populated suburbs, mostly have just DSL available and not one FNO. I do not understand why this is the case.

• Sad
Same here, I have Just DSL 10mbps (fastest in my area) and not one fiber operator has plans to build here, although I live in a well populated area with mansions going up like mushrooms. I will switch to fiber in a heartbeat if it was available.
https://gigawave.co.za/ speak with them they finally doing our area now after begging.

• Love
Yet again sloppy research from MyBroadband. Axxess and a few other ISP's offer the same packages at cheaper rates than Afrihost. I think this article is missing a "Partner content" label ?!?!

Drop me a PM, we are always looking to assist in getting new areas connected. Assisted with the whole Glenwood rollout in Durban and some surrounding areas.

Even if it's not in KZN.

My DSL line went down 10 times I'd guess over the 7 years I had it. My Fibre line goes down every other week for days at a time.

My DSL line went down 10 times I'd guess over the 7 years I had it. My Fibre line goes down every other week for days at a time.
Same here. Wondering when they are going to sobatage the fibre cables again. Probably not too long from now.

• Sad
More Things To Consider
ADSL is affected by distance and SNR.
ADSL marketing/pay for speed is unlikely to be achieved if you far from the DSLAM/Exchange.
In my case I paid for 10Mbps and could only get 6Mbps.

My fibre has had 12 outages this year alone.
Mostly JHB Water digging up the pavement,
I have an LTE backup as I WFH.
Not good.

Exactly. Or latency.

I switched to Rain 5G and it's been great. Was delivered the day I ordered it, get 90Mbps down most times, stays on during loadshedding, and when a tower goes down I just reposition the router to the other nearby tower.

Back