ADSL Installation time

LazerFazer

Hi everyone,

I ordered an ADSL from Telkom last week (March 31st Apparently) and now I'm just waiting for Telkom to do their thing and convert the line over. Following most of the ADSL install guides around, I called 10219 this morning and the most unhelpful, bitchy person pretty much told me not to call again until 7 working days have passed since placing the order. I'd like to know if there's any way to get it done sooner, since the month is wasting away and I'm itching for proper internet access.

Thanks

GPSJane

You won't get it within 2 weeks and usually will wait up to a month or even more in some cases. They usually say more time than it will actually take so they can keep to their promise.

On their online application form they ask what date you want and you can choose any date from a week in the future. They will NEVER arrive on that day and they will also NEVER call you to arrange an appointment. The technician will simply pitch at your house to do the work, usually when you're not there. It is not his fault, however, it is the fault of the call centre/management.

There are many friendly people in their call centers who are willing to help but cannot answer difficult questions. The technicians have been ninety-nine percent friendly and helpful (I had one rude idiot). Anyone in a supervisory role is, however, a complete @$$ (in my experience) and this includes supervisors of technicians who come to the house at times.

A last piece of advice - watch what the technician is doing particularly if you value your furniture etc as they can be sloppy and a bit stupid at times - the guy who installed my line yesterday left patches of glue from the glue gun all over my new wooden furniture and ripped open a power point and broke all the plastic screw connectors instead of just unscrewing it!

CataclysmZA

Executive Member
Hi everyone,

I ordered an ADSL from Telkom last week (March 31st Apparently) and now I'm just waiting for Telkom to do their thing and convert the line over. Following most of the ADSL install guides around, I called 10219 this morning and the most unhelpful, bitchy person pretty much told me not to call again until 7 working days have passed since placing the order. I'd like to know if there's any way to get it done sooner, since the month is wasting away and I'm itching for proper internet access.

Thanks

Follow this guide:

http://www.telkom.co.za/products_services/dsl/support_self_install.html

Ignore the bitch you worked with, because she is completely wrong. You have a maximum of 7 days to get your ADSL line working and synced if you chose a self-install. After 7 days have passed, Telkom starts billing you for the service regardless if you're actively using it. If you haven't done it after 7 days, they request to send a techie, and bill you R582 for nearly bugger all. Call again, and ask for a technician to help you, and see if you are allowed to go ahead with the self-install option. Its not hard, and takes about 20mins to do at the most.

GPSJane

Aaah I didn't read and assumed this was a NEW line. What Wesley said is all true but what I said is also all true of you're applying for a new line.

P0is3nIvy

The conversion to ADSL can take K A K long (months) if there are no ports available at the exchange.
I waited four months. Sorry for the dampener but that is the reality. :(