ADSL modem help. DSL light red.

moosa8189

I've been through 3 modems in the past 2 months. Each one gives me the same problem. The Internet light stays green but the DSL light goes red. I've tried everything. I've tried resetting. I've tried resetting the line from Telkom. I'm with Afrihost and I'm definitely not out of my cap and my ISP is not down. I've tried with 2 net gear modems and 1 D-link modem. It keeps doing the same thing after some time. I do have a surge protector. Before i buy my fourth modem. Please advise on why this keeps on happening. I'm all out of ideas. And yes I am 100% sure my login details are correct. I've even tried the guest@telkomadsl settings but no dice.

TheRidDlerX

Have Telkom move you to another DSLAM possibly. If that doesnt help have them come out to the streetbox and test the line to the exchange there. It sounds like the problem is on the line, not the modems, except if im understanding wrong. Are the modems working on another DSL location? How do you know they are bust if you are getting new ones. Do you have internet at all and then lose it or nothing from the start?

m_ameen786

I suspect it is an ISP username and password issue any chance you can upload an image?

pcdoc

I've been through 3 modems in the past 2 months. Each one gives me the same problem. The Internet light stays green but the DSL light goes red. I've tried everything. I've tried resetting. I've tried resetting the line from Telkom. I'm with Afrihost and I'm definitely not out of my cap and my ISP is not down. I've tried with 2 net gear modems and 1 D-link modem. It keeps doing the same thing after some time. I do have a surge protector. Before i buy my fourth modem. Please advise on why this keeps on happening. I'm all out of ideas. And yes I am 100% sure my login details are correct. I've even tried the guest@telkomadsl settings but no dice.
Reset your modem to factory default, if not a Telkom Modem enter user name as guest@telkomadsl, password as guest.Make sure VPI & VCI is 8 & 35 , take your modem to a friends house whose ADSL line is working and try to connect to www.telkom.co.za.If the DSL light is still red then modem is faulty.If you can connect then try at your house if DSL light turns red then your line is faulty.Red light on DSL can be. Faulty Modem power supply, faulty modem or Fault on Line. Test your Modem on another line first to eliminate the problems one by one

m_ameen786

Reset your modem to factory default, if not a Telkom Modem enter user name as guest@telkomadsl, password as guest.Make sure VPI & VCI is 8 & 35 , take your modem to a friends house whose ADSL line is working and try to connect to www.telkom.co.za.If the DSL light is still red then modem is faulty.If you can connect then try at your house if DSL light turns red then your line is faulty.Red light on DSL can be. Faulty Modem power supply, faulty modem or Fault on Line. Test your Modem on another line first to eliminate the problems one by one
He said he was with Afrihost resetting the modem won't work he'll still have to enter his correct username and password

westom

I've tried everything. I've tried resetting. I've tried resetting the line from Telkom. I'm with Afrihost and I'm definitely not out of my cap and my ISP is not down.
No suggestions will do anything useful IF 'signal to noise' or 'signal strength' numbers are too low. That number is a very first fact to collect. Log into the DSL modem's server. Find numbers that are in dBs. Post those numbers. Then someone can report exactly where a problem lies. No more speculation - it might be this or might be that.

You problem is intermittent. That number can identify a modem / connection defect even when DSL service is working. Without speculation. That number can even predict a future DSL loss long before the fault happens.

moosa8189

Thanks for everyone's advice. Turns out TheRidDlerX was right. Telkom came out and sorted out the DSLAM and all is well and stable since.