ADSL product ideas

Shayd

Expert Member
I feel there is definitely a need for a thread giving the ADSL ISP's new ideas, I started something like this for IWorst last year and it ran well until IWorst took our idea's, Bastardized them and said here you go this is what you asked for.

Please feel free to add your ideas and if there are any ISP's who want to take them and make them into a product Kudo's to you.

Mine is:

- A traditional ISP(Per GB) account that has an after hours uncapped bolt-on to full speed between 12pm and 6am, I assume this is when the least traffic flows. I would be happy to schedule my downloads to run when the network has spare capacity and would pay for this service. I know cybersmart has something similar but it's just too complicated. Make it a simple uncapped 12-6 and R30 per gig regular data and I would send a lot of money your way.

Guys please tell me what you think of this, I was thinking you could price the after hours element at about R300 and get quite a lot of customers. I would even stoop low enough to accept a T&C that says this is available to 5gig+ customers only.

davemc

Executive Member
- A low latency product landing in Europe guaranteeing sub 250ms round trip latency, averaging at 190ms round-trip latency, priced at about R200 excluding the line rentals. This product must not allow any ftp/torrent or http type data on it, though the ISP could integrate a local proxy on port 8080 into the product to allow browsing. This is an international (Europe) gaming product. Acceptable usage should be set to 5GB a month.

- Same as above, But for USA

Last edited:

leapoardone

Okay here is one:

Become unified - or just one general direction if possible....

With 384 kbs circuits being the dialups of yester year….
ISP's, Telkom and Government can come together and get RSA back on track in the race:

Suggestions:
1. Do away with circuit rentals / state subsidize the rentals / or lower circuit rental prices significantly( the nike way ). Most people don’t have the better internet or internet at all due to high circuit rental pricing.
2. Improve service levels and communication across the board and educate - to many problems (to mention) going wrong the whole time and too few people actually fixing it and the end user paying for it. (with the exception of a few companies) And what is worse it’s a big mission to sort something out when the services are down or problematic.
3. A promise is a promise, with cables landing on our shores like SeaCom everybody thought (hell now we will pay less) - Bottom line is that for someone with internet access at work, the offers in the market place for broadband internet, is just not attractive enough for those people to actually start getting internet at home.

Not aiming this at Telkom alone but we need better service, better products, value for money, pride in our selves! Because we are paying a lot in comparison - for less 

MrBEEP

Openweb Representative
Company Rep
Hey Friends,

At OpenWeb we are always looking for new ideas to improve ADSL in South Africa. We will be actively monitoring this thread for ideas from MyADSL forumites.

Keep them coming!

Kind Regards
MrBEEP

Shayd

Expert Member
When we ran the IWorst improvement thread we identified 4 distinct customer types, and came up with ideas to fulfill these needs. Maybe this will help:

1.) Gamer, requires low latency connection but no large amounts of bandwidth, these users we usually satisfied with reasonably priced unshaped data or access to a local server like IGAME. WA has come up with some interresting stuff for these guys like free play on their servers and unlimited steam downloads. This user primarily uses their connection at night and over weekends

2.) Business: These users are primarily daytime users who value service and reliability over lowest cost but cost is still a strong factor. Their use can range from simple email and surfing to VPN and VOIP, they were primarily satisfied with the traditional torrent shaped bandwidth PER GB or Uncapped depending on usage.

3.) Home user: Much like Business but after hours usage as opposed to business hours.

4.) Downloader: These users were the most difficult to satisfy as they wanted large volumes of bandwidth at a good price, the only conclusion we could come to was to allow a Bolt-on service when the network was "dead" or underutilized (eg. 1am - 6am), this will move torrent traffic to late night periods and reduce latency at other periods so improving the service for everyone. This also allowed ISP's to generate revenue from "dead" time on their network. The one advantage that you had with downloaders is that latency as well as full line speed at all times was not an issue as most downloads would be happening while asleep.

Nobody is only one of these profiles, many gamers also download for example, so creating an account that combines options to appeal to each of the profiles was the way to go.

Obelix

- A low latency product landing in Europe guaranteeing sub 250ms round trip latency, averaging at 190ms round-trip latency, priced at about R200 excluding the line rentals. This product must not allow any ftp/torrent or http type data on it, though the ISP could integrate a local proxy on port 8080 into the product to allow browsing. This is an international (Europe) gaming product. Acceptable usage should be set to 5GB a month.

Latency is a factor of the speed you get from a to b, and that includes the distance between the two, and unless you can shorten the distance from europe to SA by half, what you describe is practically impossble.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Hmmm I Would like....

Throttled to 384 During office hours with a x gig cap
from 5-10 cap triples and you get throttled to 2048
from 10-6 uncapped unthrottled usage.

Or you make specific packages eg a Gamer package would prioritize that the person get the lowest latency possible on the network
A Downloader package would give you K@K latency but great speeds
and a Standard package which gives you say the average between the two.

You could offer these as bolt ons to an already existing package. Also for downloaders a bigger cap would be appreciated
something like 30 gigs instead of 3 but at not to much an increased price considering the latency will be slow

PsyWulf

Executive Member

Would screw with world of warcraft using HTTP to download patches and login news

Shayd

Expert Member
This is what was going through my head for the pricing on the late night uncapped:

R413(ADSL Line)+R290(10GB Regular BW)+R300(after hours uncapped) =R1000+- this fits nicely into my budget, to be fair I would probably have problems blowing 10gig during "regular time" but its a nice round number. Someone give me this package and you have a deal here and now..