ADSL vs LTE?

McSack

Executive Member
So we're moving out of the big city to a small dorp in the Freestate that doesn't have fibre.
I'm in 2 minds about which way to go with interwebs.
A lot of my work involves online facilitation so the network needs to be reliable.
It has been ages since I was on copper. Anyone got current experience on a 40Mbp line?
Done a comparison to LTE?

HendrieV

So we're moving out of the big city to a small dorp in the Freestate that doesn't have fibre.
A lot of my work involves online facilitation so the network needs to be reliable.
It has been ages since I was on copper. Anyone got current experience on a 40Mbp line?
Depends on distance from the exchange and condition of the network. My ISDN service is after many years still boringly reliable and does not suffer from congestion problems.

Mister 44

Executive Member
If 40Mbps DSL is available, it can't be that small a dorpie. Where I live, 4Mbps is the best you can get. Luckily MTN fixed LTE is pretty good here, so I'm hoping for a good deal on Black Friday.

Also, if 40Mbps adsl is available, the town is probably on the roadmap for fibre soon, so do your homework and don't sign 24 month contracts.

cavedog

Honorary Master

It depends. IF you can go for a 10Mbps+ stable line with good stats ADSL/VDSL will be a better option especially the Pure Connect service no voice required. It compares favourably to the same speed on fibre for example.

If the line is really bad or you are far from the exchange LTE might be the best option although it will be capped. Maybe try a 4Mbps uncapped adsl + medium sized capped LTE option.

genetic

Honorary Master
My ISDN service is after many years still boringly reliable and does not suffer from congestion problems.

I remember my dad getting ISDN in the late 90's. That 64Kbps connection was the shizz.

McSack

Executive Member
If 40Mbps DSL is available, it can't be that small a dorpie. Where I live, 4Mbps is the best you can get. Luckily MTN fixed LTE is pretty good here, so I'm hoping for a good deal on Black Friday.

Also, if 40Mbps adsl is available, the town is probably on the roadmap for fibre soon, so do your homework and don't sign 24 month contracts.
... according to Vox....a 40Mbp line is possible. Haven't actually put the order in yet

Strangely enough no fixed LTE from MTN. Would've taken one of their business deals if it was available

McSack

Executive Member
I remember my dad getting ISDN in the late 90's. That 64Kbps connection was the shizz.
I am probably a ballie of your old man's age then because I definitely remember being the envy of my charnas with my 64K shizznizz line :D

McSack

Executive Member
It depends. IF you can go for a 10Mbps+ stable line with good stats ADSL/VDSL will be a better option especially the Pure Connect service no voice required. It compares favourably to the same speed on fibre for example.

If the line is really bad or you are far from the exchange LTE might be the best option although it will be capped. Maybe try a 4Mbps uncapped adsl + medium sized capped LTE option.
Thanks. Will try find out distance from exchange

Dan C

Honorary Master

I know of a couple small dorpies where you can get VDSL and some parts of major cities where you can't. Like in my case.

Mister 44

Executive Member
... according to Vox....a 40Mbp line is possible. Haven't actually put the order in yet

Strangely enough no fixed LTE from MTN. Would've taken one of their business deals if it was available
May I be as blunt as to ask the name of the town? PM me if you are worried about privacy.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
I prefer my 40mps line over lte mainly because its uncapped.

If mtn had true uncapped I would had that instead, speeds are awesome!

genetic

Honorary Master
I prefer my 40mps line over lte mainly because its uncapped.

If mtn had true uncapped I would had that instead, speeds are awesome!

MTN's speeds in general are insane. By far the best network in SA.

Mister 44

Executive Member
No probs....Clarens
Ok, I'd go for the dsl in that case. I think it's just a matter of time before fibre is available there. It might be worth it to just test the lte speeds at your new home but I think dsl will be the better option.

diesel

Expert Member
I am thinking of going over to MTN LTE 1TB for R999 , anyone have any experience with LTE for gaming? , what are the latencies like?, stability etc?