Advantages of Using Steam

Dreadlock_tales

Good Day all.

So I recently got Uncapped at home (2Mbps nothing special) and I was wondering if it was worth downloading steam/ installing SteamOS. What are some advantages of using Steam? or even Disadvantages?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master
Good Day all.

So I recently got Uncapped at home (2Mbps nothing special) and I was wondering if it was worth downloading steam/ installing SteamOS. What are some advantages of using Steam? or even Disadvantages?

The disadvantage is that you are going to wait forever to download MKX, GTA V or any other beautiful game on that 2Meg line.

Other than that, Steam is beautiful.

/Read up on Chevrons post regarding SteamOS.

Last edited:

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Good Day all.

Steam and SteamOS are two different things.

Steam is an application you can run on Windows, Mac or Linux to manage your game collection.

SteamOS is a flavour of Linux that Valve created to reduce reliance on windows.

Pitbull

Verboten
Good Day all.

The OS: No, unless you have no ways of getting windows on your PC which is impossible :D

The Steam App: Most definitely. It keeps your games up to date and patched automatically, you can buy directly from steam and download without having to ever own a hardcopy of a game ever again. Nice steam specials. As said by Camikaze, downloading most games will take an eternity though. Maybe I'm just spoilt on my 10Mbps line. Downloading a 3GB game in an hour is just pure bliss :eek:

Dreadlock_tales

Thanks for the Responses guys.

so all in all the only disadvantages to Steam app is my line speed.
and if you could me settle a long standing argument:
my younger brother says that having downloaded copies of games and the steam app is safe.
i would think its the opposite
opinions?

OrbitalDawn

Ulysses Everett McGill

my younger brother says that having downloaded copies of games and the steam app is safe.
opinions?

Why would you think that?

CamiKaze

Honorary Master

opinions?

Why wouldn't it be safe?
Fear of paying for stuff online?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones

opinions?

It's ok.

You can even have your pirate games launch from Steam.

But once you've been through your first Steam sale you'll see less and less reason to pirate.

Stillie

Expert Member
dont touch steam!!!! all it does is empty your wallet of all its extra funds and forces you to gain weight by sitting and playing the games u play while eating your chicken noodles that have landed on your shirt!!!

Steam is a devil that eats your money!

If you dont mind it, then steam is amazing!!! dont play 90% of the games i bought but as said before SteamOS and Steam are 2 diff things, stick to Steam Windows/Linux/MacOS applications and not SteamOS

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master

opinions?

Steam copies are also(mostly) downloaded games. Are you referring to pirated games instead?

The nice thing about pirated games - which I use as demo's most of the time - is that, if I like the game enough to want to buy it via Steam, I start the game installation in Steam, wait til its folder appears in the Steam games folder, exit Steam, then copy all of the pirated game's files that are not related to cracks to this folder, and it finds the files so you don't have to re-download every damn file again on a slow line.

grok

Honorary Master
The OS: No, unless you have no ways of getting windows on your PC which is impossible :D

The Steam App: Most definitely. It keeps your games up to date and patched automatically, you can buy directly from steam and download without having to ever own a hardcopy of a game ever again. Nice steam specials. As said by Camikaze, downloading most games will take an eternity though. Maybe I'm just spoilt on my 10Mbps line. Downloading a 3GB game in an hour is just pure bliss :eek:

Until you decide your OS needs a rebuild after a recent blue screen & realise that a game like Left for Dead 2 sits at 39GB total, yikes!

Granted I've had the game for a few years & I know I can keep the files for when I re-install Steam but but holy cow that's a lot of updates. Still, Steam is definitely the way to go.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
Steam copies are also(mostly) downloaded games. Are you referring to pirated games instead?

The nice thing about pirated games - which I use as demo's most of the time - is that, if I like the game enough to want to buy it via Steam, I start the game installation in Steam, wait til its folder appears in the Steam games folder, exit Steam, then copy all of the pirated game's files that are not related to cracks to this folder, and it finds the files so you don't have to re-download every damn file again on a slow line.

This is not needed any more.

Steam now has 2 hour demos of every game. If you don't like a game in 2 hours of play time you just ask for a refund.

Ho3n3r

Honorary Master
This is not needed any more.

Steam now has 2 hour demos of every game. If you don't like a game in 2 hours of play time you just ask for a refund.

You are right, it is not needed any more.

Pitbull

Verboten
Until you decide your OS needs a rebuild after a recent blue screen & realise that a game like Left for Dead 2 sits at 39GB total, yikes!

Granted I've had the game for a few years & I know I can keep the files for when I re-install Steam but but holy cow that's a lot of updates. Still, Steam is definitely the way to go.

Jirre, can't you just copy it from the old drive?

You can copy game files from hdd to hdd and let steam just file it and download missing files.

Pitbull

Verboten

opinions?

As safe as online banking.

Just don't give you log-in to someone or click on dodgy links. You also have an sms notification thingy on steam now you can activate.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Also remember steam likes HDD's, eats recycled HDD's as a snack. I have a 1.8 TB back up of steam on a separate HDD just in case things go boom ! You really don't want to be spending all of your time re-downloading steam games.

Kilgore_Trout_Redux

Executive Member
Good Day all.

As someone who has just had to clean house before leaving the country I can say that dealing with a huge pile of DVD cases, serial keys and manuals is a pain in the balls.

zolly

Expert Member
Why would you think that?

My girlfriend has some pirated versions of Valve games (which may have hacks in them since they're pirated version). I recently bought her CS:GO on Steam so she could play online and not just with her bros on lan. She'd just been playing normally and then discovered one day she got a VAC ban. She obviously didn't try to cheat and I'm pretty sure VAC detected the pirated versions and nailed her.