Affordable Studio Headphones (Suggestions)

Which one of these options would you suggest.

• Sony MDRV6 (R1500)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • You should really consider these...... (add comment in thread)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

RedViking

Nord of the South
I am looking to get affordable Studio Reference Headphones for recording at home. Budget R800-R2000 max. (cheaper will be better for now). I am not planning to do serious mastering with it, mostly to track my guitars, but a little bit of mixing. Usually I would spend a lot of money because it is an investment, but now is not possible. I also bought earphones for my wife which cost a tiny fortune.

So far these have been suggested: Samson SR850 Headphones. At R800 it is very affordable BUT

Maybe a closed back suggestion will also be nice as I have some noise in my office (amp, inverter, PC, server etc.). So if it has some relatively good passive noise cancelling it will be a plus?

Any suggestions?

Poll options so far (Excludes shipping):

Sony MDRV6 (R1500)
Sony MDR7506 Pro (R1500)
Audio-Technica ATHM40x Pro (R1500)
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x (R2000)
• Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro (R2000)
Sennheiser HD280PRO (R1500)
Grado SR80e (R1500)

Last edited:

ekske1

Executive Member
The Sony's are only comparable to the Bose QuietComfort 35
This thread is about my Studio Reference Heaphones!! !! :laugh::laugh::laugh::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::p
but I saw the sony's and they looked hawt :crying:

// strokes DT 990 PRO 250 headpones :whistling:

Chingha

Expert Member
The Sony's are only comparable to the Bose QuietComfort 35
This thread is about affordable Studio Reference Heaphones!! !! :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::p

P.S. I can make a review thread if there is not one yet for the Sony WH-1000XM3
"P.S. I can make a review thread if there is not one yet for the Sony WH-1000XM3"

Yes please

ponder

Honorary Master
Last edited:

Bryn

Doubleplusgood
The Audio-Technica ATH-M40x is also within your budget from local suppliers.

I love my M50x. Strongly recommend Audio-Technica. They respond really well to EQ too.

Most monitors I've heard are stone cold lifeless s**t, especially the HD 800. Fine for studio work I guess but severely lacking in musicality and soundstage. But that does beg the question of whether 'pleasing' headphones like the M40x and M50x are what OP is looking for.

LegionnaireJ

Have the Samson SR850. Paid R500 for two sets about 4 years ago. Use them every day, the soundstage on the open back is mind blowing compared to most closed back sets.(admittedly- haven't listened to many). Sincerely doubt for the price that there are many sets that can touch them.

Ambient noise-can hear pc fan when no music is playing. Once music is going no problem though - but then I crank the volume pretty high. Not a musician though, so make of that what you will. Fooled around with them some on a Yamaha p85 digital piano, worked extremely well.

Earpad pleather have started to crack slightly now, cable has withstood quite a lot of abuse with no issues. Would buy again in a heartbeat.

RedViking

Nord of the South
I love my M50x. Strongly recommend Audio-Technica. They respond really well to EQ too.

Most monitors I've heard are stone cold lifeless s**t, especially the HD 800. Fine for studio work I guess but severely lacking in musicality and soundstage. But that does beg the question of whether 'pleasing' headphones like the M40x and M50x are what OP is looking for.

I would like a good balance between as natural as possible sounding when recording but also not completely lifeless as I will also use it to listen to music. Headphones that 'boost' the bass for example is something I do not want. For the real mastering I will rather later invest in studio monitors and change my setup.