Afrihost Afrihell - terrible speed

chewza

I am posting about Afrihost out of sheer desperation and frustration.

I am paying for a supposedly uncapped premium account (20mbps), but despite having a single device connected, my speed often drops to well below 5mbps. This package is supposedly unthrottled and unshaped for streaming services, but this is clearly not the case.

My line speed fluctuates wildly and continually. I am in the IT industry, and each time I do the required checks - reboot router, tracert, pings, Lan cable etc. Each time I log a call they ask me to do the same thing. I am unable to get any help and a single point of contact, and have to log a new call each time. After spending ages on each call, there is often a window when the speed returns to normal . They happily close the call, but a few hours later the same thing happens.

I have noticed that when they do a port reset, it seems to come right for a while - don't know if this is coincidence though. Fibre operator is OpenServe.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Regards
Chris

wingnut771

Expert Member
I am posting about Afrihost out of sheer desperation and frustration.

I am paying for a supposedly uncapped premium account (20mbps), but despite having a single device connected, my speed often drops to well below 5mbps. This package is supposedly unthrottled and unshaped for streaming services, but this is clearly not the case.

My line speed fluctuates wildly and continually. I am in the IT industry, and each time I do the required checks - reboot router, tracert, pings, Lan cable etc. Each time I log a call they ask me to do the same thing. I am unable to get any help and a single point of contact, and have to log a new call each time. After spending ages on each call, there is often a window when the speed returns to normal . They happily close the call, but a few hours later the same thing happens.

I have noticed that when they do a port reset, it seems to come right for a while - don't know if this is coincidence though. Fibre operator is OpenServe.

Anyone had similar experiences?

Regards
Chris
Please manually set DNS to 1.1.1.1 and 8.8.8.8
Then download winmtr
do 100 packets to 1.1.1.1
Untitled.png

This will give an idea where the packet loss is.
You say you're in IT, have you tried another ISP?

cavedog

Honorary Master
@chewza

You are paying R1217 for a 20Mbps "premium" uncapped account.....

Switch to CISP or Supersonic at R999 or R949 and just get completely uncapped unshaped internet.

You are paying R1217 for a product that still gets shaping on certain protocols. :oops: