Afrihost billing cancelled account!

Freakboy

Expert Member
I cancel my account last month. The account is disabled, but they still charged my Credit card with the R89 today. The support is one of the worst I have ever experienced and their online cancel function does not work. I emailed the support and was assured that the account was cancelled and I was not going to be billed, but it still happened. Today I got a email stating that it was my fault of not using the online cancel facility. How can you run an business like this?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
I have the same issue, I cancelled my 5GB account on the 1st of October (30 days) using their online facility - I then logged on last week and saw the account was active again, but capped, I sent them an email telling them it was supposed to be cancelled, they told me it wasn't cancelled, but capped, and I must use the online facility - I emailed back saying that the facility does not work and it must be cancelled with immediate effect - they replied saying it was cancel.

Lo-and-behold, I got an invoice for the account, and see they have charged my account.

This company is becoming less and less appealing.

Who can you guys recommend and a 'decent' ISP?

xrapidx

Honorary Master
Out of the five or six ISPs I've tried - these guys suck - the only thing they can offer is cheap bandwidth.

If I don't hear from them before close of business Monday, I'll lodge a complaint with my credit card company - I suggest you guys do the same.

Kaufies

Expert Member
Yeah, I've also had a bad experience with Afrihost. Last month, my account was suspended for a payment I missed tomorrow (according to their clientzone). Being Sunday, I couldn't call support which was unfortunate. I really hope they get their act together.

RichTrend

Well im going to post this again with regards to my experience because im really fed up with their lying, their support is the worst I have seen. Afrihost must sort out their issuses REALLY soon cause I can see them going out of business very shortly.

I got 2 accounts with Afrihost, plan was to use them both then cancel 1 as I only wanted the additional bandwidth for a month.

I try 1 month in advance to cancel only to find out latter the client zone does not work to cancel. I email them to explain that they must cancel the account as the client zone is not registering the cancellation. The idiots email me back with instructions to use the client zone!!! I email them again, then they apologize & confirm they have cancelled it, after that they email me an invoice for both accounts, I check client zone, both accounts still there.

OMG I SWEAR I HAVE NEVER DELT WITH MORE USELESS SUPPORT IN MY LIFE!!!

DO NOT GIVE THESE PEOPLE YOUR CREDIT CARD DETAILS. YOU WILL SIGN AWAY ALL CONTROL OVER THE CHARGES FROM THEM. THEN WHEN U WANT TO LEAVE THEY MAKE IT EXTREMELY DIFFICULT TO CANCEL THE ACCOUNT.

Kaufies

Expert Member
Email isn't great for support. Phone them rather and say "I want to cancel my account- cancel it now, I'm not using the client zone, it doesn't work." I've found it's the only way to get anything done with support people in a reasonable amount of time.

thedoc!

VTS
Company Rep
Back to what I said some time ago - you get what you pay for... besides the starting salary for support staff is R6000!! What do you expect for that?

I learnt a lesson, you pay peanuts, you get monkeys...

Daruk

Honorary Master
Just to add my 5c worth to the discussion, Telkom has done the same to me. I cancelled an account and they immediately disconnected me but have billed me the past two months for it.

Alan

Honorary Master
pfft just other ISP agents trying to get customers back by badmouthing Afrihost

//runs

Nickste

Expert Member
I have the same issue, I cancelled my 5GB account on the 1st of October (30 days) using their online facility - I then logged on last week and saw the account was active again, but capped, I sent them an email telling them it was supposed to be cancelled, they told me it wasn't cancelled, but capped, and I must use the online facility - I emailed back saying that the facility does not work and it must be cancelled with immediate effect - they replied saying it was cancel.

Lo-and-behold, I got an invoice for the account, and see they have charged my account.

This company is becoming less and less appealing.

Who can you guys recommend and a 'decent' ISP?
Glad to hear I'm not the only one! I too cancelled my account on the 1st of October, using the clientzone. I then got an email on the 31st of October, with an invoice for November. I replied to this email saying that I had cancelled the account. One or two emails afterwards (they were quite quick to respond), and I got a call from support. After explaining that I had cancelled my account, I was told that he would ensure that I was not billed for November.

I thought everything was ok, until the next day (1 November), when they tried to bill my card. Luckily I don't keep any money in my credit card account - I transfer into it as needed - so the transactions bounced.