Afrihost Cancellation Fee.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I cancelled, receive an email and multiple SMS to confirm, yet still got debited:
afrihost billed..png

So then I tried to call, got told go to WhatsApp. Go onto your WhatsApp page, and that's useless.
whatsapp afrihost useless.png
Note that it's definitely within the 0900-1700 hours.
1552215013459.png
That red dot does indicate live, right?
Nope.
1552215036266.png

So I just checked the clientzone for active products:
no connected products.png
Nope, no product.

Then I checked the invoice in the client zone:
cancellation.png
Interesting, so a cancellation fee for fiber after I specifically opened a ticket to ask about it. Also interesting how that amount is exactly R999, so that sounds like a penalty fee.

This after a conversation with support:
Hi,

According to:
"10.8 Should a user cancel their Afrihost Fibre less than 6 months from installation, or their account falls into arrears, they will be charged a cancellation fee of R999."
of your terms and conditions, that if we were to cancel, no cancellation fee would be applicable.

Can you please confirm this?

Regards,
Hi

Good day. Your 6 months contract period has been met already and there won't be any cancellation fee hereafter.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance.

Thank you
Alvin.C

Afrihost.com
Pure Internet Joy! (this must be sarcasm?)
Well that's interesting.

I did sign up on the 18 month contract initally, which expires this month or end of Feb (can't remember the exact starting date, think started Sept/Oct 2017), that's why I sent the message in the first place to ask about it. It's also supposed to be a percentage of the remainder of the amount due of the installation, even if it was the 18 month contract, definitely not the full installation amount.

@AfriMan @AfriFella @AfriNatic

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/afrihost-cancellation-fee.1012316/

So Afrihost wants to be bill me for cancelling fiber after their own support agent confirmed I will not receive a cancellation fee.
This after being 17 months on a contract, then still being billed R1000 for cancellation. Sounds great that a R1500 installation fee after 17/18 months reduces the remainder fee to 2/3, not 5.5^ of the original fee even if it was applicable, as you changed your own terms and conditions to 6 months.

wingnut771

Executive Member
https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/afrihost-cancellation-fee.1012316/

So Afrihost wants to be bill me for cancelling fiber after their own support agent confirmed I will not receive a cancellation fee.
This after being 17 months on a contract, then still being billed R1000 for cancellation. Sounds great that a R1500 installation fee after 17/18 months reduces the remainder fee to 2/3, not 5.5^ of the original fee even if it was applicable, as you changed your own terms and conditions to 6 months.
School fees.

beans100

Honorary Master
Jir, seems they put in a lot of effort to be offline, today, on all avenues.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Trust you are well.
You have been charged R999 cancellation fee for the fibre as you had to remain active on the package for at least 18 months before cancelling.
This after they stated that I was fine for the 6 months according to their updates T&C.
On top of that, they just close the ticket.

So I'll just open another one.

7ty7

I am going to take them on, They charged me R999 for cancellation although I did not take a modem with them, their T'c and C's specifically states the R999 charge is for the modem and you can keep the modem. If they are going to charge me for a modem they need to send me one.

Keep me updated on this please.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I am going to take them on, They charged me R999 for cancellation although I did not take a modem with them, their T'c and C's specifically states the R999 charge is for the modem and you can keep the modem. If they are going to charge me for a modem they need to send me one.

Keep me updated on this please.
Oh the modem is a 12 month contract I thought? They can't do that one.
Thanks for reminding me.

Took it as free, was going to use as an additional access point, but it the thing is such a mission to set up and for some absurd reason keeps losing its settings if unplugged/loses power, that I just haven't bothered after the second month.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
I trust you are doing well

Please be advised that as you have been active for over 6 months, the cancellation
charge of R999.00 has been credited.

Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Have a great day and please let me know if I can help with anything else!
I don't see anything on the billing/invoice yet, also asked if the credit means refunded as the debit order has already gone off.

Recallza

Hah, funny that OP should post this thread. I was supporting my SO's father with his Afrihost email account, as he wasn't able to send emails out. Couldn't get any support out of Afrihost over the weekend. I don't know how an ISP can offer a service and not support that service 24/7. Magically, the problem resolved itself this morning, which is even more of a concern considering he was affected by this for a week. Out of all the ISP's I've dealt with, Afrihost is by far the worst with regards to support.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Big surprise that they didn't call /s. Stop with automated messages if you don't actually adhere to them.
Update on that one, they did call at half past one or so, just that it was a 15 second phone call as the dude doesn't sort out billing. This after I wrote in my note that my issue is about billing, so seems they don't read those, so next time anyone, don't bother with that. I am actually still due to for a call within this 12h30 to 13h00 window that that dude said would be done, and hopefully they looked at outstanding tickets on the account if they do call.

Hoping refund goes smoothly.

zanman69

What can we as users do to protect yourself against this? I took the Afrihost LTE-A sim only package after I saw there was signal available where I stayed, first 2 weeks was great then boom without internet from 14 Dec to 17 Dec, after a while Afrihost just stopped replying to me asking about what was going on, how am supposed to do business like this...

Went on again on the 17th but had barely any signal, so I bought a external antenna from Takeallot to gain more signal.

Then I went to FB and complained on the Afrihost page, where they couldn't explain why the signal dropped like that and told me that I should look at other alternatives like a fibre package through Afrihost.... wtf? I went and complained on Cell C's page and eventually a guy phoned me from Cell C, apparently they ended their agreement with MTN for Cell C customers to be able to roam on their network.

So in Jan the signal disappeared completely even with my external antenna, I tried to move it everywhere no signal. I got fed-up and went online to cancel the package, when I saw that they want to charge me a cancellation fee of R999 for canceling the sim before 6 months.

I contacted support at Afrihost and spoke to a guy named Conor over email. He said I would be credited for the month of Jan and also I made a future payment for Feb before the internet dropped completely . He said that they will deduct the cancellation fee, but they will refund me again for it. All good, until they deducted the R999, accounts lady said I will not be refunded for it and completely ignored my request for the refund for Jan and Feb. I have sent numerous emails but no one home....

Last edited:

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
What can we as users do to protect yourself against this?

I took the Afrihost LTE-A sim only package after I saw there was signal available where I stayed, first 2 weeks was great then boom without internet from 14 Dec to 17 Dec. After a while Afrihost just stopped replying to me asking about what was going on, how am I supposed do business like this...

Went on again on the 17th but had only barely any signal, so I bought a external antenna from Takeallot to gain more signal.

Then I went to FB and complainted on the Afrihost page, where they couldn't explain why the signal dropped like that and told me that maybe I should look at other alternatives like a fibre package thruough Afrihost.... wtf?
I went and complained on Cell C's page and eventually a guy phoned me from Cell C, apparently they ended their agreement with MTN for Cell C customers to be able to roam on their network.

So in Jan the signal disappeared completely even with my external antenna. I tried to move it everywhere, no signal. I got fed-up and went online to cancel the package, whenre I saw that they want to charge me a cancellation fee of R999 for canceling the sim before 6 months.

I contacted support at Afrihost and spoke to a guy by the named of Conor over email. He said I would be credited for the month of Jan and also I made a future payment for Feb before the internet dropped completely gone off the earth where I stay. He said that they will deduct the cancellation fee, but they will refund me again for it. All good, untill they deducted the R999, accounts lady said I will not be refunded for it and completely ignored my request for the refund for Jan and Feb. I have sent numerous emails but no one home....
Small claims court or ask bank to reverse it. Will do the same if Afrihost doesn't refund properly, but hoping it doesn't come to that.

I did take the liberty of editing your post a bit for legibility. I can see that you're quite upset about it, and I would be as well in your situation (heck, I am nearly in your situation).

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
@Afripeps, pick some other music that doesn't distort so badly ffs.

Person called just now, I asked if she'd read the tickets, nope. So put me on hold for that. Took about 2 minutes to read it, probably due to having to get access to the tickets.
She then forwarded me to accounts, thought it would be a long wait, luckily only <20 seconds, lady there was quite polite, checked if refund issued, wasn't, but did have credit note, so she issued a refund request now.

Total call time was just under 4 min, and was an okay process for the call back person (as didn't read ticket history...), and good for the accounts person (got up to speed in like 15 seconds versus the 2 minutes of the call back person who already knew they were calling me...).

zanman69

Ok, I phoned Afrihost this morning, and asked to speak to the person dealing with my ticket, guy transfers me. I spoke to another guy, he tells me, this person dealing with my ticket doesn't take phone calls at all. I told him it is BS and I want to speak to this person now, he continues to say he cannot transfer me. I lost my temper completely and requested to speak to a manager, he puts me thru to fibre technical assistance.... fibre technical assistance also gave me the run around and transferred me again so I dropped the call.

ekske1

Executive Member
Ok, I phoned Afrihost this morning, and asked to speak to the person dealing with my ticket, guy transfers me. I spoke to another guy, he tells me, this person dealing with my ticket doesn't take phone calls at all. I told him it is BS and I want to speak to this person now, he continues to say he cannot transfer me. I lost my temper completely and requested to speak to a manager, he puts me thru to fibre technical assistance.... fibre technical assistance also gave me the run around and transferred me again so I dropped the call.
Vloermoer?