Afrihost Charging Unauthorised Credit Cards

boyequal

I had a credit card linked to my profile that I had removed in DECEMBER and replaced with a new card. ALL my products are linked to this new credit card.

Now, during the recent billing run, Afrihost proceeded to charge the NEW credit card, AND the OLD credit card that was removed AS WELL AS a card that expired in 2017.

I've tried to contact their support, but nothing. Ticket QJE-594-56056

Anyone else with something similar this month?

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Good luck with that - all my other cards are canceled! :crylaugh:

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I had a credit card linked to my profile that I had removed in DECEMBER and replaced with a new card. ALL my products are linked to this new credit card.

Now, during the recent billing run, Afrihost proceeded to charge the NEW credit card, AND the OLD credit card that was removed AS WELL AS a card that expired in 2017.

Hey there

I am really sorry about the confusion :(

It doesn't look like we double billed you, but we'll need to see why one of the products doesn't seem to have moved over to the correct payment method selected in ClientZone.

I am sure this can be resolved ASAP. Will ask the team to update your ticket ASAP :(

boyequal

Hey there

I am really sorry about the confusion :(

It doesn't look like we double billed you, but we'll need to see why one of the products doesn't seem to have moved over to the correct payment method selected in ClientZone.

I am sure this can be resolved ASAP. Will ask the team to update your ticket ASAP :(
2 Products. 1 used an old card. Another suddenly tried to charge a card that EXPIRED in June 2017! I had to manually pay that one.

I haven't heard anything from your account team yet... Big surprise.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
2 Products. 1 used an old card. Another suddenly tried to charge a card that EXPIRED in June 2017! I had to manually pay that one.

I haven't heard anything from your account team yet... Big surprise.
It looks like it was a glitch and that has been resolved. Since you've settled the amount, there should be no further action, but we'll monitor closely in the next billing run to ensure it doesn't happen again :(

boyequal

It looks like it was a glitch and that has been resolved. Since you've settled the amount, there should be no further action, but we'll monitor closely in the next billing run to ensure it doesn't happen again :(
Thank you.

However, I would prefer an official response through the Support system stating the above - in case of any future issues.

Regards.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
This happened to me too, are you going to monitor this issue generally or do I need to open a ticket?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Thank you.

However, I would prefer an official response through the Support system stating the above - in case of any future issues.

Regards.
As an Afrihost Rep, whatever I've said here is pretty much official :)

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
This happened to me too, are you going to monitor this issue generally or do I need to open a ticket?
If it's the same scenario, then we will definitely monitor to check that the glitch does not reoccur.

boyequal

As an Afrihost Rep, whatever I've said here is pretty much official :)

Okay, sure. If it happens again, I'll just link to this Forum post, and have you pay the penalties on the other credit card that should not have been charged in the first place. How does that sound?

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Okay, sure. If it happens again, I'll just link to this Forum post, and have you pay the penalties on the other credit card that should not have been charged in the first place. How does that sound?
Mistakes do happen, it's never done intentionally. But I can promise you that we do our best to avoid any errors.

Last edited:

HavocXphere

Honorary Master

All the major credit cards have automatic updating for expired cards. e.g.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/visa-account-updater-product-information-fact-sheet-for-merchants.pdf
https://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/Billing Updater Brochure_10 06.pdf

It's a feature not a bug. ;) Helps reduce admin & prevents recurring orders (netflix etc) bouncing just because you forgot to update something

It looks like it was a glitch
o_O

boyequal

Mistakes do happen, it's never done intentionally. But I can promise you that we do our best to avoid any errors.
I understand that mistakes happen. However, this case is tantamount to fraud. Afrihost charged a credit card that I explicitly revoked authorisation for, and left me with undue bank charges. I could have had my bank reverse the charge, but then Afrihost would have penalised me for non-payment.

I will keep a close eye on this next month.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
I understand that mistakes happen. However, this case is tantamount to fraud. Afrihost charged a credit card that I explicitly revoked authorisation for, and left me with undue bank charges. I could have had my bank reverse the charge, but then Afrihost would have penalised me for non-payment.

I will keep a close eye on this next month.
Cool :)

boyequal

All the major credit cards have automatic updating for expired cards. e.g.

https://usa.visa.com/dam/VCOM/download/merchants/visa-account-updater-product-information-fact-sheet-for-merchants.pdf
https://www.mastercard.com/us/wce/PDF/Billing Updater Brochure_10 06.pdf

It's a feature not a bug. ;) Helps reduce admin & prevents recurring orders (netflix etc) bouncing just because you forgot to update something

o_O
Not in this case. I got an email from Afrihost stating that they couldn't charge the card, because it was expired. I had to manually settle the amount.

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Not in this case. I got an email from Afrihost stating that they couldn't charge the card, because it was expired. I had to manually settle the amount.
hmm...yeah re-read OP now and you're right. Still think it's an interaction with the update system that caused the issue but not sure how that resulted in a triple charge. Eish.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
hmm...yeah re-read OP now and you're right. Still think it's an interaction with the update system that caused the issue but not sure how that resulted in a triple charge. Eish.
the billing wasn't duplicated - one of the products reverted to the old billing method while all the other products were correctly assigned to the payment method selected. We have rectified the cause of that, so it should not occur again.