Afrihost MTN Fixed LTE-A Thread

MirageF1

Expert Member
Our official date for same month cancellation is before the 15th. We start our billing run soon after.
Then you or others whose job it is should advise ******* and all his support colleagues to give your clients accurate and correct information .. he even went away and asked his supervisor to confirm this before he came back to assure me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thor

Honorary Master
Post some speed test guys, I'm dying to see proper LTE in SA (ie the full potential)

dotcat

Not activated...pm'd details
So support called and we tried a whole lot of different things. Seems as though the sim can connect on 3g but has not been activated for LTE/4G. When set to auto it picks up the MTN 3g network but when set to 4g it says no service.

elf_lord_ZC5

Expert Member
So support called and we tried a whole lot of different things. Seems as though the sim can connect on 3g but has not been activated for LTE/4G. When set to auto it picks up the MTN 3g network but when set to 4g it says no service.
Ouch!! not nice. :(

MirageF1

Expert Member
@H_Justini When ordering with AH the process specifically asks you to confirm you own one of the approved routers?

Did Supersonic order process not take you through this confirmation or advise you of this limitation before purchasing the service?? Seems doubtful...

BradleyKZN

Expert Member
@H_Justini When ordering with AH the process specifically asks you to confirm you own one of the approved routers?

Did Supersonic order process not take you through this confirmation or advise you of this limitation before purchasing the service?? Seems doubtful...
They do tell you.

dotcat

@AfriMan support called. "Please wait 24 hours for it to be activated." Can someone else on the support team please look into it as that just feels like a canned response. 4 hours or 24 hours?

H_Justini

They do specify and I take responsibility for not inspecting the list. That is my point here: "Put it into my B315 router (Yes I know, I will get to that part later). " I just assumed my routers would be compatible, which they are. Just not "APPROVED".

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This whole business of blocking unapproved routers is completely unacceptable. It makes no difference to MTN's network what router you choose to use. If you, as a paying customer, choose to have an "inferior" experience using a sub-optimal router then that is your business. I would understand if your choice of router affected the performance of their network, or affected other users, but it does not.

MirageF1

Expert Member
They do specify and I take responsibility for not inspecting the list. I just assumed my routers would be compatible, which they are. Just not "APPROVED".

Well now that is out they way why not try 1 of the Telkom offers?
Less restrictive both it terms of routers and tower lock.

H_Justini

Basically the whole point of the post if anyone missed it was: "Why are some very compatible routers that clearly offer the same experience not approved"?

H_Justini

This whole business of blocking unapproved routers is completely unacceptable. It makes no difference to MTN's network what router you choose to use. If you, as a paying customer, choose to have an "inferior" experience using a sub-optimal router then that is your business. I would understand if your choice of router affected the performance of their network, or affected other users, but it does not.
My point exactly! It just makes no sense.

MirageF1

Expert Member
I did. Top speed 5.76Mbps.
That's approx what I'm getting (5-10Mbps) at tower signal edge on my Rain LTE sim...its livable, maybe not ideal...can watch most youtube vids (with slight a bit of stutter and delay occasionally), and for the most part my internet experience and browsing is good.

I have ordered the MTN fixed LTE sim as a alternative and hoping for much improved speeds due to stronger signal.

Sometimes your location/nearest tower load dictates what is acceptable. That's just how the dice rolls....

dotcat

DC: "so one support agents says this "Alright, the sim card takes 2-4 hours to active, kindly leave the sim card in the router for this duration and it will go active on our database, if you are still not connecting after the prescribed time, urgently let us know." then you say 24 hours - which is it?"
Afrihost: "Its between 4 and 24 hours" :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

H_Justini

That's approx what I'm getting (5-10Mbps) at tower signal edge on my Rain LTE sim...its livable, maybe not ideal...can watch most youtube vids (with slight a bit of stutter and delay occasionally), and for the most part my internet experience and browsing is good.

I have ordered the MTN fixed LTE sim as a alternative and hoping for much improved speeds due to stronger signal.

Sometimes your location/nearest tower load dictates what is acceptable. That's just how the dice rolls....
My experience was below acceptable. Too much buffering and stutter. I tested in different locations and never got anywhere near 10Mbps. The speeds I experienced on MTN made me fall in love with MTN although the love was short lived.