Radar1

I have recently (about 3 months ago) bought a new Toyota Etios from McCarthy Toyota Centurion via a sales consultant named Kobus Scheepers. Kobus went out of his way so secure the sale and sounded like a very trustworthy fellow.

Upon inspection of the car, at collection, we noticed that the one speaker cover was broken. Kobus immediately promised to have it fixed within a week (when we collect the number plates), but long story short, it still has not been done!! After many phone calls to Kobus and his manager, Pieter, and emails and lies from Kobus about apparently trying to phone myself and my girlfriend, and Kobus picking up the car and returning it without having the repairs done (the time that he actually pitched up to get the car!) and so many other excuses, I am now at the position where Kobus told me he will collect the car for the repairs in a weeks time, because he is going on leave later this week. Never mind the fact that he did not show up this morning when he said he will pick up the car...

What I am getting at is that I want to know whether I am right to say that I will never in my life set foot in McCarthy Toyota Centurion again and will advise everyone not to do so, or do any form of business with Kobus Scheepers, or is it normal for other people / places to give you the same (lack of) after sales service? Am I the only one who are busy experiencing such terrible service and utterly rude attitude after buying a brand new car?

Also, is it worth going to the Motor Industy Ombidsman regarding an issue like this?

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
I have recently (about 3 months ago) bought a new Toyota Etios from McCarthy Toyota Centurion via a sales consultant named Kobus Scheepers. Kobus went out of his way so secure the sale and sounded like a very trustworthy fellow.

Upon inspection of the car, at collection, we noticed that the one speaker cover was broken. Kobus immediately promised to have it fixed within a week (when we collect the number plates), but long story short, it still has not been done!! After many phone calls to Kobus and his manager, Pieter, and emails and lies from Kobus about apparently trying to phone myself and my girlfriend, and Kobus picking up the car and returning it without having the repairs done (the time that he actually pitched up to get the car!) and so many other excuses, I am now at the position where Kobus told me he will collect the car for the repairs in a weeks time, because he is going on leave later this week. Never mind the fact that he did not show up this morning when he said he will pick up the car...

What I am getting at is that I want to know whether I am right to say that I will never in my life set foot in McCarthy Toyota Centurion again and will advise everyone not to do so, or do any form of business with Kobus Scheepers, or is it normal for other people / places to give you the same (lack of) after sales service? Am I the only one who are busy experiencing such terrible service and utterly rude attitude after buying a brand new car?

Also, is it worth going to the Motor Industy Ombidsman regarding an issue like this?

The problem is that you bought a Toyota. The more popular a brand is, the less of an effort they make to keep your money.

ponder

Honorary Master
Did you try speaking to the dealer principal at least, not that it always helps.

ToxicBunny

Oi! Leave me out of this...
Drive the vehicle back to the dealer... then throw a stink about their crappy after sales service in the middle of the dealership floor.

You will find their service becomes stellar right at that point.

I've never understood why people put up with such kark for so long. 1 phone call, and 1 promise to fix... if its not done by then, I throw my toys so far out of the cot that the people responsible become very very helpful.

werfie

Expert Member
Drive the vehicle back to the dealer... then throw a stink about their crappy after sales service in the middle of the dealership floor.

You will find their service becomes stellar right at that point.

I've never understood why people put up with such kark for so long. 1 phone call, and 1 promise to fix... if its not done by then, I throw my toys so far out of the cot that the people responsible become very very helpful.

+1. I always use an easy option, difficult option route. Easy option fix your **** and I'm outa there or the difficult option is that I drive the car through your dealership window which may be just a tad more admin.

Radar1

I got hold of McCarthy Toyota (@McCarthyToyota) and Toyota (@ToyotaLive) on Twitter today - they were very quick to reply to the tweets about the crappy service. I sent them all the details, so now lets see if they can make things happen - if not, the next plan is to throw a moerse scene in the middle of the showroom! If that doesn't help, at least I possibly helped some other people to not go through the same issues. The only problem is that its a schlep going there during business hours, since I don't live in Centurion. I made the mistake of buying from the dealer who could supply me with a car the quickest - next time I'll rather wait longer and get one from the closest possible dealer.

spiderz

Honorary Master
Take the car back and cancel the deal. The deal was to have the speaker repaired and that was not done.
CPA has a cool down period. (or something like that)

ToxicBunny

Take the car back and cancel the deal. The deal was to have the speaker repaired and that was not done.
CPA has a cool down period. (or something like that)

You could actually try your luck with that one as well..

The stealership might miraculously find a speaker in their parts section for you.

stroller

Expert Member
Crikey, you're bitching about a speaker cover; it's not like the vehicle is off the road!

Take a chill pill and relax.

Stop the bitch and moan, it's not serious, I promise you that you'll get more co-operation by a little more accommodating.

Nobody loves a tjankgat.

OGroteKoning

Honorary Master
Crikey, you're bitching about a speaker cover; it's not like the vehicle is off the road!

Take a chill pill and relax.

Stop the bitch and moan, it's not serious, I promise you that you'll get more co-operation by a little more accommodating.

Nobody loves a tjankgat.

It is about the principle of being promised a certain level of service and then not receiving it.

I would love to pull thie following next time I have a problem with this kinda service: Get mates of mine and let them go to the dealership (6 - 10). They must all look very enthusiastic about purchasing a vehicle at that dealership. Then 10mins later I want to rock up with an opening statement like "Can I see the dealer principal about the crap car and service they sold me ... please" And then continue on my rant. Then everyone should leave either commenting to the DP/sales manager or giving him the cheers-*******-look.

stroller

Expert Member
Grow a pair man.
By your own admission: "..about a crap car.."
You bought a piece of shyte with a broken speaker cover.
What the hell?
If I were the DP and the biggest concern in your life was a broken speaker cover, I would ask/tell your friends to FO as I would not need any more k@k from them.

ToxicBunny

Grow a pair man.
By your own admission: "..about a crap car.."
You bought a piece of shyte with a broken speaker cover.
What the hell?
If I were the DP and the biggest concern in your life was a broken speaker cover, I would ask/tell your friends to FO as I would not need any more k@k from them.

Seriously?!?!?

If a DP came up to me and told me to FO, I would be on the phone to Head Office in less than 2 seconds laying an official complaint.

sanimoyo

Email McCarthy Customer Care on customercare@bidvestautomotive.co.za or try them on Facebook at www.facebook.com/mccarthywecare

Radar1

After complaining to both Toyota and McCarthy Toyota on Facebook and Twitter, everyone seemed eager to (finally) help me. The dealer picked up my car this morning, fixed the issue (and washed the car for me) and brought it back about an hour ago. I'm sure making a scene in the showroom, which was my next idea, would have resolved the issue as well, but for those of us who don't have time for that during the day, it seems social media does the job as well. :) The sales consultant apologised when he brought back the car, so finally my 3 month long struggle with McCarthy Toyota Centurion is over.

ToxicBunny

After complaining to both Toyota and McCarthy Toyota on Facebook and Twitter, everyone seemed eager to (finally) help me. The dealer picked up my car this morning, fixed the issue (and washed the car for me) and brought it back about an hour ago. I'm sure making a scene in the showroom, which was my next idea, would have resolved the issue as well, but for those of us who don't have time for that during the day, it seems social media does the job as well. :) The sales consultant apologised when he brought back the car, so finally my 3 month long struggle with McCarthy Toyota Centurion is over.

Good to hear.

I would still write an official complaint to McCarthy Toyota Head Office, Toyota and the DP about the sales consultant tbh... the fact that your car is now fixed is great, but it should never have gotten to the point that you had to wait 3 months.

purpleonlineadmin

Good to hear.

I would still write an official complaint to McCarthy Toyota Head Office, Toyota and the DP about the sales consultant tbh... the fact that your car is now fixed is great, but it should never have gotten to the point that you had to wait 3 months.

True, the customer service in this country is highly appalling and it irks me like crazy when it seems to be "normal" for a sales assistant to dismiss you once the transaction complete. Mind you I run my own business and my customer retention is well over 80% just because my attitude with customers is to treat them with respect and care and they will keep you for all their services. But again I do my own sales so someone who has no personal interest in the business will tend to not give a crap about your customers or your business, esp if the employee's only motivation is just money. Burst a vein if you must, but it's about high time bad sales consultants are exposed, esp on social media. Name & bloody shame!