All Blacks are irked by something pointless

BLIXEMPIE

Executive Member
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/RugbyWorldCup2011/Englands-plans-irk-All-Blacks-20110715

Wellington - England's plans to wear a jet-black strip at this year's Rugby World Cup has created quite a stir in host country New Zealand, where one commentator called it a mockery of traditions and a ploy to push shirt sales.

According to media reports, England will shun their predominantly white strip and play in similar colours used for 127 years by the All Blacks in their first World Cup match against Argentina in Dunedin on September 10.

"Of all the colours in the rainbow, why would they choose the colour of the host nation?" commentator Keith Quinn was quoted as saying in Friday's Dominion Post newspaper.

"They are thumbing their noses at a New Zealand tradition. It's bizarre."

Quinn said the decision could drive England jersey sales but would make them unpopular among All Blacks fans.

"I don't think they (fans) will throw things, but they will be scornful of England coming into our territory wearing black."
Oh the terror!

"Of all the colours in the rainbow, why would they choose the colour of the host nation?" commentator Keith Quinn was quoted as saying in Friday's Dominion Post newspaper.
Didn't know black was a colour in the rainbow....

I also do not see the big deal. If Italy played with a Jersey similiar to the boks I wouldn't mind.

Bern

Expert Member
Didn't know black was a colour in the rainbow....

I also do not see the big deal. If Italy played with a Jersey similiar to the boks I wouldn't mind.
I am not sure about that, but in terms of the colour they picked it was that or red I suppose. If they picked red they could have had an issue with Wales, Cananda and even the US who are their Allies, so I guess they decided on pissing of another tiny island rather...

I've got no problems with NZ's objections to this. There is no need to adopt the black jersey on England's part...

hawker

Honorary Master
Since when is there Black in the Union Jack?

Whats wrong with wearing Red/White/Blue?

Jola

Honorary Master
ROFL :D:D

O hell can we leave the colour problem to the ladies? Australia did not complain when we also used the green and gold.
Why would they, it's never been their colours.

They have traditionally used yellow with just a touch of green !

Last edited:

Rosaudio

First Officer
Since when is there Black in the Union Jack?

Whats wrong with wearing Red/White/Blue?
Firstly, the Union Jack does not equal England.

The England flag is Red and White.

Secondly, since when is there black in the New Zealand flag? :p

Whats wrong with wearing Red/White/Blue? :p

Does anyone have any pics?

hungrybeaver

Expert Member
“I think it’s a bunch of wannabes actually, there's only one team that wears black with pride and that's the All Blacks,” says Prime Minister John Key.
Emotional much? From the PM no less.

Professor Ranginui Walker is an All Black supporter and Maori affairs political commentator. He's also unimpressed England's all black training kit will feature ancient Maori symbols and decorations.

“One would think that Maori designs should have a protection of some kind because it's an intellectual property design,” he says.
That's a step too far by the English.

The England Rugby Union did get the ok from their New Zealand counterparts, but the NZRU told 3 News it was on the condition England ditched the black strips when or if they played New Zealand.

“The All Blacks should take it as a compliment to them, ourselves, as a country believe in the power of the jersey, the power of the black, and maybe that is what England is trying to get their hands on,” says Rugby NZ 2011 CEO Martin Sneddon.
Yeah right. I see what you mean what with the previous WC final wins.. oh wait.

To be honest, this is f***ing ridiculous. Why on earth would a country known world-wide by their white kit suddenly change colour, to black no less? Thats the same as if the All Blacks changed to yellow :wtf:

edit: a lot of reports are saying that it is their alternate kit, but they will use it for a few games even if there is no clash. Its not a bad looking kit but the question remains why change it for a WC?

http://www.espnscrum.com/england/rugby/story/143964.html

Last edited: