• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

Alternative Cryptocurrencies (General Discussion & Trading)

saor

Honorary Master
Most of mine are also not doing much but I jumped into XLM at it's lowest the other day and it's been doing amazingly well.

redarrow

Expert Member
This is my 'best' alt coin: https://coinmarketcap.com/currencies/unobtanium/

Bought a little over 1 "kg" of Unobtanium about 2 years ago for around $2, only bought it cos the name sounded cool and I liked Avatar and therefore knew that Unobtanium sells for twenty million a kilo.. :p
Never actually believed it would go anywhere, surprisingly my $2 purchase is now almost $150. Wish I'd bought a little more.. :p

saor

Honorary Master
Bought a little over 1 "kg" of Unobtanium about 2 years ago for around $2, only bought it cos the name sounded cool and I liked Avatar and therefore knew that Unobtanium sells for twenty million a kilo.. :p
Cool. Nice one getting in on that early :). What do the exchange bids look like for a coin like that - can you readily sell at that price? I always wonder with low supply coins like that whether there's ever a point where nobody is willing to buy the coin because it's impossible to sell again.

You ever think of selling or you just gonna hold?

redarrow

Expert Member
Cool. Nice one getting in on that early :). What do the exchange bids look like for a coin like that - can you readily sell at that price? I always wonder with low supply coins like that whether there's ever a point where nobody is willing to buy the coin because it's impossible to sell again.

You ever think of selling or you just gonna hold?
Well current volume is at ~$85k 24/hr and from what I've seen is usually around there somewhere so I don't think selling a few hundered $ worth would present much problem. But yea I wouldn't personally buy large amounts of such a coin.

I've never actually thought about selling tbh, seeing as it was pretty much a "throw away" purchase. If by some madness it hit a market cap of say $1billion, my holding would be something like $6k, so that's pretty fun to imagine. On the other hand if it dies completely I'd only really have lost ~$2. ;)

saor

Honorary Master
I've never actually thought about selling tbh, seeing as it was pretty much a "throw away" purchase. If by some madness it hit a market cap of say $1billion, my holding would be something like $6k, so that's pretty fun to imagine. On the other hand if it dies completely I'd only really have lost ~$2. ;)
I'm sure that's the last time you only spend $2 on something :p.

etienne_marais

Executive Member
Not sure if they are the first, but Altcoin Exchange claims:

We have completed the very first #Ethereum <> #Bitcoin atomic swap! More details coming soon. See below for transaction IDs.
https://twitter.com/altcoinexchnge/status/916778395551227904

Apparently atomic swops require lightning network ? Does that mean it is now active on Bitcoin ?

https://themerkle.com/what-is-an-atomic-swap/
https://lightning.network/

Last edited:

saor

Honorary Master
So this a definite? You talking about Bitcoin Gold?
Yup. I'm not 100% sure it's definite, but people seem to be hoping it is. There's hardly any stability in alts right now, and the lower it goes the more stop loss sells kick in and it just pushes the price even lower causing more stop loss sells to kick in. One of mine kicked in last night...I'll either hold that btc and buy back in to alts a few days before the fork (if it happens), or else sell it for ZAR just before the fork if BTC is at an all-time high, then buy back into BTC once the fork is over and the inflated price plummets.

I leaning toward buying more alts when they're at an all-time low though. The potential gains in the coming months far outweigh the +-30% bitcoin will do in the coming weeks. What's everyone else doing with alts - holding or have you pulled out of anything?

Last edited:

srothman

Expert Member
Yup. I'm not 100% sure it's definite, but people seem to be hoping it is. There's hardly any stability in alts right now, and the lower it goes the more stop loss sells kick in and it just pushes the price even lower causing more stop loss sells to kick in. One of mine kicked in last night...I'll either hold that btc and buy back in to alts a few days before the fork (if it happens), or else sell it for ZAR just before the fork if BTC is at an all-time high, then buy back into BTC once the fork is over and the inflated price plummets.

I leaning toward buying more alts when they're at an all-time low though. The potential gains in the coming months far outweigh the +-30% bitcoin will do in the coming weeks. What's everyone else doing with alts - holding or have you pulled out of anything?
I'm holding what I have, although it's not a lot in alt at the moment. Ripple is on a nice little green streak, so happy about that. might buy some BTC gold, depending where it comes in at, but at this point I'm just waiting on my miners to arrive so I can try to at least get an ROI before I'm dead.

saor

Honorary Master
I'm holding what I have, although it's not a lot in alt at the moment. Ripple is on a nice little green streak, so happy about that. might buy some BTC gold, depending where it comes in at, but at this point I'm just waiting on my miners to arrive so I can try to at least get an ROI before I'm dead.
I noticed ripple this morning was still green - nice :). What miners you ordered?

This is a bad time to buy bitcoin and bad time for many alts - but it's an amazing time to acquire alts if you've got btc ready to use. Gonna be setting up a few buy orders this week to grab alts as their price falls. If the market steadies itself after the fork and people pour money back into alts - this right now is an amazing opportunity to make some money in the coming months.

srothman

Expert Member
I noticed ripple this morning was still green - nice :). What miners you ordered?

This is a bad time to buy bitcoin and bad time for many alts - but it's an amazing time to acquire alts if you've got btc ready to use. Gonna be setting up a few buy orders this week to grab alts as their price falls. If the market steadies itself after the fork and people pour money back into alts - this right now is an amazing opportunity to make some money in the coming months.
Waiting on one L3+ and one D3.
I know, ouch!
Figured worst to worst I'll just mine "x"coin and shapeshift.