"Always-on"

d.casper.b

I just got iBurst and am getting a router soon.
I would like to know if, with the router setup, I will be able to have an "always-on" connection? I'm still new and testing a lot.

I set up the 1mb desktop modem via usb, and then uninstalled the dashboard (did not like it) and am just using the connection which i created through windows. But so far I must always manually connect. I also tested with the LAN cable and it worked fine without any need to install anything (only just create the connection) - obviously you still need to manually connect. I'm sure I can get the connection to auto-connect within Windows, but haven't looked so far (NetWorx can start the connection, but I must still click connect on the popup).

Anyhow, I'm just waiting to get a router, and would like to know if the modem and router are both configured and powered on, I will be able to have an "always-on" connection without having to manually connect (for all devices). My PC will probably connect to the router via LAN, otherwise any other devices will connect via WiFi.

Silly question, but I'm new with iBurst.

CalmD

I thought you were talking about Molly Woods' show on Cnet.

Mercury

Yes, that will be possible unless you have a very odd router indeed!

d.casper.b

Thanks, read a bit more, and realised the same (since you configure the router with your username and password the router has the details to connect).

Madhawk

Honorary Master
I use my iBurst + router and it is always on and it works perfectly with my iPhone, iPad and Laptop via wifi.

Just remember to get a "Broadband" router with a WAN connection. Not a ADSL router.

r00igev@@r

Executive Member
A while ago we had a competition to see who had the longest uptime. I recall there were people who were always on > 1 month.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I'd have to check my router and Iburst modem, but it's been on longer then a month.

isie

Honorary Master
I just got iBurst and am getting a router soon.
I would like to know if, with the router setup, I will be able to have an "always-on" connection? I'm still new and testing a lot.

I set up the 1mb desktop modem via usb, and then uninstalled the dashboard (did not like it) and am just using the connection which i created through windows. But so far I must always manually connect. I also tested with the LAN cable and it worked fine without any need to install anything (only just create the connection) - obviously you still need to manually connect. I'm sure I can get the connection to auto-connect within Windows, but haven't looked so far (NetWorx can start the connection, but I must still click connect on the popup).

Anyhow, I'm just waiting to get a router, and would like to know if the modem and router are both configured and powered on, I will be able to have an "always-on" connection without having to manually connect (for all devices). My PC will probably connect to the router via LAN, otherwise any other devices will connect via WiFi.

Silly question, but I'm new with iBurst.

i use my router with the always on setting. works fine, tried my luck at the competition Ronald's talking about but thanks to eishkom, i lost out
i tried the on demand option and it works, but when trying to get on the net it takes a few seconds to connect so is a tad annoying