KamikazeHamster

I agree that they should find alternative functions for it. Average speed trapping means that there's no more idiots hiding in bushes. Monitoring for stolen vehicle plates can be automated!

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
I agree that they should find alternative functions for it. Average speed trapping means that there's no more idiots hiding in bushes. Monitoring for stolen vehicle plates can be automated!

Your logic has no place here!!! be gone!!

TJ99

Honorary Master
That's fine, they don't need to remove them. That will cost even MORE money and be an opportunity for MORE tenderpreneurship.

Just leave the things there and turn them off, they can serve as a monument to corruption and government arrogance.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot

From the very beginning I could not understand why this was not implemented along with the e-tolls.
Monitoring/flagging cloned/duplicated numberplate's on different vehicles.
Stolen cars
Average speed trapping.
Bus/taxi/police routes.
Fake police cars and many other fake cars.
All can be monitored with the systems in place.

quovadis

Executive Member
From the very beginning I could not understand why this was not implemented along with the e-tolls.
Monitoring/flagging cloned/duplicated numberplate's on different vehicles.
Stolen cars
Average speed trapping.
Bus/taxi/police routes.
Fake police cars and many other fake cars.
All can be monitored with the systems in place.

Because SANRAL is a private company and private companies cannot do law enforcement.

adam1234

vehicle tracking is a good idea, car gets stolen, just use these gantries to find out location. Avg speed is good too, but who drives so slow now on the highways? i mean 100kph on the N1 is ridiculous

bokdrol

Executive Member
They should just leave it and it will be dismantled for scrap metal over time.

Segg

Expert Member
vehicle tracking is a good idea, car gets stolen, just use these gantries to find out location. Avg speed is good too, but who drives so slow now on the highways? i mean 100kph on the N1 is ridiculous

:mad:

This gripes me so much

Two left lanes should be for trucks, the remaining lanes exclusively for CARS, lane 4 should have a minimum speed limit of 100kph and the fast lane of 110kph

Inevitability

Expert Member
I'm all for average speed enforcement, but the speed limit has to be increased accordingly.
130kph, at least, maybe even 140kph.
It's not the guy drivng at 140kph that's the problem, it's the nutcase trying to drive at 240kph.

adam1234

majority of the accidents are caused by idiots driving really slow on the fast lane, and refuses to move out the way when you approach. As for trucks and buses, get them their own roads, these guys drive like hooligans and don't give a ***** about other road users.

Had there been a law that enforces trucks to be on a separate road or lane or allowed on these roads at specific times, this mornings tragedy wouldn't have happened.

Rooikop

I always said that there was more to the gantries than just tolling. They are about monitoring people and their movements and then they have the audacity to make it about "paying for the road". Same with e-tags - they remain active even though you are not close to the gantries yet similar transponders can monitor your vehicle. Why do they want to monitor ordinary citizens? It does not look like they are doing this to prevent crime as this is still spiralling out of control.

grok

Honorary Master
That doesn't resolve the issue of running costs of the system being extortionate.

My thoughts exactly, but not just the running costs. Repurposing the gantries doesn't address the fact that we overpaid billions for the system, and keeping them will just legitimize the amount spent.

xera

Expert Member
... He said the technology brought in by the e-toll gantries was valuable ...

... of course it is. It is like spyware, imagine all the vehicle monitoring going on.

I'm sick of this one step forward, two steps back news. Drawn out dramatic nonsense. Same story with oscar and julias. I am bored out of my mind with it.

maeztro

I always said that there was more to the gantries than just tolling. They are about monitoring people and their movements and then they have the audacity to make it about "paying for the road". Same with e-tags - they remain active even though you are not close to the gantries yet similar transponders can monitor your vehicle. Why do they want to monitor ordinary citizens? It does not look like they are doing this to prevent crime as this is still spiralling out of control.

I was convinced from the start that it has the additional purpose of monitoring the population at large.

In the old days, there was a time when you could not buy fuel after hours. This severely restricted movement. That was, in my opinion, also an attempt to restrict movement of the white population to times when it was easier to monitor.

Any given government wants complete control of the citizens. Part of that is knowing where anyone is/was at any given moment. That is also the reason they were pushing so hard to get the transponders installed. Makes it extremely easy to put up invisible monitor stations at any place you want.

(just because you are paranoid, does not mean they are not out to get you)