Android app with 100 million users contained malware

Suspect99

Executive Member
Hmm I've got this on my phone.

I also just got these ads recently on my Google calendar. Wonder if it's relatedScreenshot_2019-08-27-21-54-15-785_com.google.android.calendar_1.jpeg

dannyjmp

What does the developers have to say about this. I'm also'a using the full version

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
The calendar ads / spam is a new thing, you can prevent it by changing you Google Calendar event settings: Spammers are invading your Google Calendar. Here's how to stop them
Not new at all...

While the issue of Google Calendar spam is blossoming right now, the exploits behind it have been known by Google since at least 2017. The core of the issue is that features that are supposed to help you — such as automatically importing events from Gmail to your Google Calendar — are being abused by spammers to fill up your calendar with junk.

Lupus

Honorary Master
I've been using Photoscan which does the same thing.

Fiela

Fudge, uninstalling now. Will use Microsoft Lens or Google PhotoScan. Any other recommendations?

Gudnews

The report seems to imply it's the new version with issues, how about my 2 year old cracked version?

kianm

Honorary Master
The calendar integration is such a useful thing, pity scammers are always looking for exploits

kianm

Honorary Master
The report seems to imply it's the new version with issues, how about my 2 year old cracked version?
Probably not affected, you know how these "updates" are there to bring us new "features" to improve the ux

notstpaul

Fudge, uninstalling now. Will use Microsoft Lens or Google PhotoScan. Any other recommendations?
They're nowhere near as good as CamScanner. Damn! I'm going to firewall CamScanner until a clean one is out. Very disappointing.

I imagine the licensed version would also be affected as it's the same APK? You just have a separate license you download which tells the main app you're licensed.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master