Android Auto is awesome and I use it every day

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
Android Auto is awesome and I use it every day

Like many Johannesburg residents, I spend a lot of time driving to and from work.

While this is only a 30-minute commute, having a Bluetooth connection and smartphone mount in my vehicle makes it easy to play music, listen to podcasts, and navigate - making the ride more pleasant.

beans100

Honorary Master
I use Android auto on my Mi Max 2, coupled with a Roidmi 3S, my dumb radio, is now a smart radio. Streaming music to the radio, while maps to get around. Just an awesome interface.
Nice thing is, when you fiddle to much, it tells you to get your eyes on the road first.

@skimread, I believe you can use offline maps, will test later today.

beans100

Honorary Master
Does it work offline as well? Can you preload maps?
Ok, just tested it now. Works great with google maps' offline maps. Went and choose the area I want offline maps, in google maps. After download, I switched off wifi and opened Android auto. Works good.

kianm

Honorary Master
Will give this a bash. However i've been to places where Google maps kind of sucks and had to switch to Here Maps which was kind of surprising

R4ziel

Expert Member
Will give this a bash. However i've been to places where Google maps kind of sucks and had to switch to Here Maps which was kind of surprising
It looks like it gives you the options to choose which mapping software it uses

Traq

What vehicle? It does make a difference.
You can use Android Auto standalone on your phone, in regards to cars, Ford requires Sync 3 or higher, with fast enough USB. Also know that it works on Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Other than the it will depend on the vehicle manufacturer.

Keep in mind that the vehicle requirement is only when you want to display Android Auto on the vehicle infotainment display.

Ecko_1

New Polo with app connect work great for android auto. Radio interface changes to a more basic one and maps appear on the 8 inch touchscreen

FiestaST

Honorary Master
You can use Android Auto standalone on your phone, in regards to cars, Ford requires Sync 3 or higher, with fast enough USB. Also know that it works on Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Other than the it will depend on the vehicle manufacturer.

Keep in mind that the vehicle requirement is only when you want to display Android Auto on the vehicle infotainment display.
Thanks but I’m aware of all that bruv.

The article is vague ito if AA is being used via an actual phone or via a (supported) car’s infotainment system?

If the latter then what system? It actually does matter & not all systems are created equal.

FiestaST

Honorary Master
New Polo with app connect work great for android auto. Radio interface changes to a more basic one and maps appear on the 8 inch touchscreen
Do you have the 6,5” or 8” unit in your Mk6 Polo?

Traq

The article is vague ito if AA is being used via an actual phone or via a (supported) car’s infotainment system?

If the latter then what system? It actually does matter & not all systems are created equal.
When I read the article it seems like he used it on his phone (bluetooth connection) regarding your point for the infotainment system, why does it matter (apart from the size of the screen)? It will load the AA from your phone, and just display it. The underlying car system doesn't matter apart from just being able to support AA.

dualmeister

Honorary Master
It can be used standalone on your Android phone or if your car radio supports it you can mirror your phones screen to the cars system.

Android-Auto-2.jpg

FiestaST

Honorary Master
When I read the article it seems like he used it on his phone (bluetooth connection) regarding your point for the infotainment system, why does it matter (apart from the size of the screen)? It will load the AA from your phone, and just display it. The underlying car system doesn't matter apart from just being able to support AA.
Off the top of my head:

- Screen size (sizes differ between automakers & even more so with the market positioning). Generally AA & CP adapt to larger widescreen displays fairly well.
- Screen resolution (this can differ greatly between brands)
- Hardware of the infotainment system (how long does it take to even boot to run AA & CP, what is the frame rate, does drop etc)
- Screen input method (touchscreen or jog wheel or pad or controller or a combination etc)
- Functionality (some system only AA & CP & that’s it at a given time. Other (higher end) system allow expanded functionality.)

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator

It's pretty clear that he's using it on a phone.