Android auto radio for my Polo

DanGrobs

I have a 2013 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion 1.2TDI Comfortline. It has one of these radios:
1396999_140623212138_vw_radio.JPG

I've purchased a setup with a car charger and a bluetooth adapter in my aux port, but it's very cumbersome. Also, I have to navigate on my phone and I can't skip songs with the buttons on my steering wheel.

Newer Polos come with the RCD330 radio, which solves all these problems:
RCD330-VW.jpg

I can install one of these, but the cheapest price I could find was R6950. It seems ludicrous.

Can anyone recommend a good frontloader that allows for bluetooth, android auto etc. and will also accommodate the buttons on my steering wheel, that won't break the bank?

e4et

Expert Member
Have a look at scrapyards for one of the newer units. Should be around half the price.

Even the decent aftermarket replacements are expensive.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
I have a 2013 Volkswagen Polo Bluemotion 1.2TDI Comfortline. It has one of these radios:

I've purchased a setup with a car charger and a bluetooth adapter in my aux port, but it's very cumbersome. Also, I have to navigate on my phone and I can't skip songs with the buttons on my steering wheel.

RCD330-VW.jpg

I can install one of these, but the cheapest price I could find was R6950. It seems ludicrous.

Can anyone recommend a good frontloader that allows for bluetooth, android auto etc. and will also accommodate the buttons on my steering wheel, that won't break the bank?
Hardly ludicrous. What do you think it costs?

DanGrobs

Hardly ludicrous. What do you think it costs?
Considering that you get aftermarket units that cost 1/3 of the price, I must presume that the cost of manufacturing of the VW units are around R1 500.

That's a high markup.

Enzo Matrix

Honorary Master
Decent android head units are round 4k to 5k i would say. So use that as a benchmark of sorts

WAslayer

Executive Member

RCD330-VW.jpg

Just been through this exercise with my vehicle.. a reputable brand aftermarket android head unit is going to set you back around 10k+, not including harness adaptors for making steering wheel controls work etc..

I then started looking at the Chinese versions.. of all the Chinese ones available, there are a lot, two brands are well known and are pretty much reputable.. joying and xtrons..

I went with a joying unit, cost was 6.5k, excluding shipping and import duties.. all in, came to about 7.5k.. this included all harness adaptors etc to make steering wheel controls work.. in my case, even included an adaptor for making the factory fitted reverse camera work.. it is a d.i.y install though..

At 6k for the factory standard radio, I do consider that a steal and if it solves your problems, I think it's your best bet in terms of cost as well as effort and time.. perhaps you can find one from a scrapyard for cheaper even..

Lupus

Honorary Master
Considering that you get aftermarket units that cost 1/3 of the price, I must presume that the cost of manufacturing of the VW units are around R1 500.

That's a high markup.
Where are these magic aftermarket units for R1500? They've never been that low, the cheapest aftermarket you'll find is 5k.

DanGrobs

Where are these magic aftermarket units for R1500? They've never been that low, the cheapest aftermarket you'll find is 5k.
I never said there are units for R1 500, I said there are units for 1/3 of the price.

Seems to be a reputable brand for R2 000:

I don't know the world of car audio, hence why I asked here.

DanGrobs

That seems to be the going rate boet. Take it or leave it.
I am afraid so, I was hoping to find a solution for a bit less.

I'm not adverse to paying R7 000 if it's worth that, I am adverse to paying R7 000 for the OEM version and then being told a week later that I could have gotten an aftermarket one that offers the exact same thing for R2 000.

I rate I'll buy the RCD330 for around R6500 from a place nearby.

WAslayer

Executive Member
I never said there are units for R1 500, I said there are units for 1/3 of the price.

Seems to be a reputable brand for R2 000:

I don't know the world of car audio, hence why I asked here.
If you are buying Chinese, it best be joying or xtrons.. anything else is pretty much rolling the dice, touching wood, crossing fingers and hoping for the mediocre..

Reactions: "D"

Lupus

Honorary Master

Matt91

Expert Member
I'm not sure of the quality but I have been checking out this website for my car, they might possibly have something for you only bummer is you have to import it and I don't really know how to go about that or if I even want that headache.

https://www.seicane.com/

WAslayer

Executive Member
I'm not sure of the quality but I have been checking out this website for my car, they might possibly have something for you only bummer is you have to import it and I don't really know how to go about that or if I even want that headache.

https://www.seicane.com/
joyingauto.com

They will ship directly to you, courier will handle clearance and you will get notification from courier for payment of duties before customs clears your shipment and then delivered to your door..

Matt91

Expert Member
joyingauto.com

They will ship directly to you, courier will handle clearance and you will get notification from courier for payment of duties before customs clears your shipment and then delivered to your door..

They don't seem to have any units for my car 2018 Ford Figo.

JSRJJ

Go to Rivonia Car Sound. Very reliable guy. Does a fantastic job.